Author Topic: HELP  (Read 2198 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
HELP
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
I went off my diet of Gluten free foods and have suffered the torments of the damned. 

My one craving is for bread, I got out my blender and turned a bag of rice into flour.    Rice flour is expensive up here and I with a 5 pound bag of white rice have saved a big amount of money.   At $2 79 per pound of rice flour, I save almost $16.00 on 5 pounds of everyday rice.   

So I have experimented with the rice flour, just the white not the brown rice yet.   

Big expense is the Yeast, and I have tried to make bread with rice flour 100 different ways.   Add an egg, warm milk, melted butter, even tried Beer bread.

I could say screw it and spend $3.00 a loaf for  gross gluten free bread at the store, to finding a way to make my own.

Today my experiment is to add honey to the sugar, darn this is turning into a chemistry experiment.

Anyone know how to make bread with rice flour that will not blow up the kitchen ??   

Offline Dori

Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
A friend of mine tried the gluten free diet.  I made her some muffins using a misture of oats and rice.  They were just okay.  Looks like you may have to order a few stabelizer things to add to get a good consistency for bread. The internet does have a lot of recipes for gluten free baking.

I found this one on the internet
http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Gluten_free-White-Bread-For-Bread-Machines-Allrecipes?columns=2&position=5/36

3 eggs
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (room temperature)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp xanthan gum
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup soy flour
2 cups white rice flour
1 tbsp active dry yeast
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:03:04 PM »
A friend of mine tried the gluten free diet.  I made her some muffins using a misture of oats and rice.  They were just okay.  Looks like you may have to order a few stabelizer things to add to get a good consistency for bread. The internet does have a lot of recipes for gluten free baking.

I found this one on the internet
http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Gluten_free-White-Bread-For-Bread-Machines-Allrecipes?columns=2&position=5/36

3 eggs
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (room temperature)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp xanthan gum
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup soy flour
2 cups white rice flour
1 tbsp active dry yeast

Thank you Dori, just what is Xanthan gum. ???? Sounds like South American chewing gum.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 06:30:20 PM »

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »

Thank you Dori, just what is Xanthan gum. ???? Sounds like South American chewing gum.

Whole Foods sells it, and you can find it in most grocery stores also. 

Offline formerlurker