Author Topic: Taverner primitive releases a new song  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Re: Taverner primitive releases a new song
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
Taverner, don't you pay any attention to what these other people are saying about your little song.  You deserve a participation award and here it is:

:bravo:

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
That's the ticket.  :cheersmate: Delmar
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 04:23:34 AM »
This.

I couldn't make out the vocals.

At 6 minutes and 26 seconds it drones on too long and the instrumentals are really much too complex, alot like a cat playing on a key board, hitting the same chord six times in a row is not Mozart.

Earlier in this thread someone lamented about this being the final mix, I agree.

I think this has potential, he needs a second opinion to help get it untangled. I do have to admit it was better then I would have given him credit for going into listening to it.

Obviously your mileage may vary.

I didn't listen to it--don't want to drive Oreo bonkers, after all--so from what I'm reading, the impression I'm getting is that the best use for Tav's noise would be to drown out the sounds of torture in some Iranian prison.  (Not even the drug cartels of Central and South America could stand to use it for that purpose.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 05:38:35 AM »
Before he get to singing lessons, or even music lessons, tav should go back to pots and pans and learn how to bang things in rhythm.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 05:39:45 AM »
Bless his heart.

I thought you guys were just being mean until I listened to it.

It's like every midi instrument is playing a completely different song and playing it not very well.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline The Albatross

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 08:57:04 AM »
That's absolutely terrible.

Believe it or not the vocals are actually the best part.  Not that they are actually any good, of course.  But the music sounds like something from a 1980s Nintendo game . . . except with worse mixing and way more mistakes.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Karin

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 09:31:25 AM »
I must have a guardian angel...

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
Taverner (52,392 posts)    Sun Mar 3, 2013, 12:09 AM

My new song - "Wool Mittens" - give it a listen?

I did, for about 25 seconds before I had to shut it off.

"Hot shot", I've heard cats screwing under garbage cans that sounded better than that.  Did you write the synthesizer parts to be purposely jangly and out of place?  Music isn't supposed to set your nerves on edge, well, love songs aren't.

Blecchh!
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
I was thinking the beginning did sound like something from Nintendo in the 1980s.

The first thing I thought of...I played clarinet in the band in grade school for a couple of years. It sounds like every song we ever tried to learn the first time through. Especially during the first couple of months of our first year.

Cindie
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:38:41 PM by delilahmused »
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »
It's the next American Idol!

This guy had a better chance:

[youtube=425,350]0d5eP0wWLQY[/youtube]
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »
I think we've listened to that song more than anyone at the DU.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 02:51:08 PM »
OMGosh that was bad.  REALLY bad.  I guess Tav doesn't know anything about tempo or timing or ... or anything! 

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
What I'm particularly loving is the complete lack of rhythm - the tempi are entirely inconsistent.

The different tracks sound like they were all recorded without any reference to each other.

It really is one of those, so bad that it's funny pieces.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 04:37:05 PM »
That was both painful and hilarious!  :rotf:

"feel your swollen breast and I know you're there..."

There was also a reference to the other person being inside of him.  Maybe he's in love with a tranny?

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
That.
Was.
Horrible.

No rhythm whatsoever.

If ee cummings ever wrote a song, that would be it.

He was late with the keyboards on some parts, early on others, and the guitar "solo" was so bad my cat could walk across a guitar and it would sound better.

PLEASE tell me he was high when he wrote this.

If not, he needed to be.

And that singing was like one of those drunk guys at karaoke whose buddies tell him he can sing, even though he can't.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 04:40:48 PM »
The last time I looked, at least one DUmbass has rec'd the thread.  Have there been any one ones?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 04:43:22 PM »
The last time I looked, at least one DUmbass has rec'd the thread.  Have there been any one ones?

Guess which DUmbass rec'd it...the only one who's posted in the thread. I suspect the only one who's looked at the thread too (excluding us and moles).

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »
I didn't think they were permitted to do that.

That's so gay.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
That.
Was.
Horrible.

No rhythm whatsoever.

If ee cummings ever wrote a song, that would be it.

He was late with the keyboards on some parts, early on others, and the guitar "solo" was so bad my cat could walk across a guitar and it would sound better.

PLEASE tell me he was high when he wrote this.

If not, he needed to be.

And that singing was like one of those drunk guys at karaoke whose buddies tell him he can sing, even though he can't.

It reminds me of the Family Guy where Peter and Lois get and and enter a talent show.  They think they're singing good enough to win and later wonder why they didn't.  Chris breaks the news to them that they were just rolling around and screaming.

Someone should break the news to Taverner.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
http://ratemypoo.com/
Ahhhh! Gag me! I made the mistake of going there! Why?!!
I started to rate them and it got worse and worse.
What sane man could even be aware of that site?

I am ruined forever! But no BS from me...cause that's what you want!

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »
Ahhhh! Gag me! I made the mistake of going there! Why?!!
I started to rate them and it got worse and worse.
What sane man could even be aware of that site?

I am ruined forever! But no BS from me...cause that's what you want!

Love that site.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »
I'm a long way from making money on the sidewalk playing guitar, and I have a voice that belongs in a choir as long as I sing at a level so as not to be heard over actual singers.

This however is just plain bad.  As already covered, the intro sounds like a Nintendo game.  The music tone is played too high for his voice, he needs to bring it down at least one octave. 

He needs to decide what is playing the rhythm and what is playing melody, it sounds like the guitar and the organ are in competition for it, when either of them hit the mark, wherever that is.  Worse it's a slap fight between two boys that just ain't right. 

The synthesizer is just plain awful and that entire track should be dumped, it's not recoverable.

Why did he space out all the notes in the guitar?  Guitar playing 101 teaches that particular item is a non-starter as it immediately loses the attention of the audience.  I'd recommend he put the melody here, as it is plain that he doesn't have goood rhythm technique on the guitar.

The organ is bad as well. It's early, it's late, it's out of sequence, it's out of tune.  It's also easier to play rhythm chords on with a metronome and tape on the keys.

About the voice.  Taverner quit trying to sound like an Eric Clapton wanna be.  There's a million of them and they mostly all suck at it.  Your voice isn't trained to any degree, it comes across as flat, which wouldn't be a bad way to play this song come to think of it.  You are also off key, even if you had played the music in the right octave.  Lastly, the voice track should be at the same level as the rest of the tracks.  Instead, it's about 2 dB below where it should be.

That should be about all he needs to do to fix bring it up to merely sub-par.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »
:rotf:

He made this with a Casio keyboard... :rotf:
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »
Tough crowd right?

Iv'e looked at your original thread.

You're not exactly getting any help.

We on the other hand offer sound advise.

I got a tin ear but I think I could help.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »
I had to think about this but my vision for this song is Donovan.

Is that right?

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu