Author Topic: Only A Nutcase Would Import A Car To America  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Only A Nutcase Would Import A Car To America
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
Only A Nutcase Would Import A Car To America. B.S. Wants To Change That, And He Needs Your Signature

As a worldly American and car nut, on one of your world travels, there will be a time when you fall in love with a car in a foreign land. The crush on that thing will be so big that you will want to take the irresistible beauty home with you. Just ask Sajeev or Frau Murilee.

My advice: Resist that urge at all cost. Trust me, it is easier to import a new wife from Pago-Pago to America than to bring-in a lightly used Euro-spec Porsche from Zuffenhausen. There is one man who wants to change all that: A man with the initials B.S. petitioned the Whitehouse to liberalize the immigration rules for used cars. No, it’s not THAT BS.
Benjamin Sharabani of Venice, CA, wants the Obama administration to “lower non-federalized vehicle importation requirements with NHTSA & EPA to 10-years from the current 25-years.”

This is a worthy cause, because America is for all intents and purposes closed to cars that have not been “federalized” – in itself a time- and money consuming exercise, which only very large or very rich and determined importers can afford. Unless that car is more than 25 years old, a non-federalized car needs to stay out of the country – or else.
The Truth About Cars

An excellent and entertaining article on importing foreign-spec cars to the US.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
Re: Only A Nutcase Would Import A Car To America
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:43:53 PM »
I actually found out about this when I was researching the Smart Car years before it was ever introduced in the US.

It is actually the Federalization of cars that creates such horrible gas mileage.  Ironic.  Dumbass liberals who want dumbass EPA rules regarding cars, actually cause more gas to be used thus defeating their original purpose.  Idiots if I have ever seen one.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Only A Nutcase Would Import A Car To America
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »
What's the old saying, "An elephant is a mouse designed by committee".
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.