Author Topic: Dessert ideas needed.  (Read 4294 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Dessert ideas needed.
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »
So, I am part of a supper club, and we go by themes, every 8 weeks or so.  In March, our theme is Irish and I got dessert.  I am serving Irish coffee, as I had requests for it, and need to serve something else.  I don't want to serve chocolate, and am leaning towards a bread pudding with whiskey sauce. 

Ideas? 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Re: Dessert ideas needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »
Bread pudding with whisky sauce sounds good!

Blackberries are native to Ireland. What do you think of blackberry cobbler with whipped whisky cream (sweet cream, confectioner's sugar, Irish whisky, dash of cinnamon)?
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »
Bread pudding with whisky sauce sounds good!

Blackberries are native to Ireland. What do you think of blackberry cobbler with whipped whisky cream (sweet cream, confectioner's sugar, Irish whisky, dash of cinnamon)?

Now that is an idea!   Originally I had thought to do trifle, but there is 9 of us, and it can look really ugly once someone has dived into it.  I thought something hot, since the request for coffee.

Thanks!

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 02:08:10 PM »
Now that is an idea!   Originally I had thought to do trifle, but there is 9 of us, and it can look really ugly once someone has dived into it.  I thought something hot, since the request for coffee.

Thanks!

You're welcome!

If there are two things I know about, they are dessert and whisky.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 02:32:27 PM »
You're welcome!

If there are two things I know about, they are dessert and whisky.

Well, we will be serving Bushmills.  And Tullamore Dew.  :-)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »
Lime Jello
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 02:47:11 PM »
Well, we will be serving Bushmills.  And Tullamore Dew.  :-)

A three course meal!
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »
Lime Jello

The preferred dessert of both Irish Mormons!
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 02:54:13 PM »
Irish gingerbread with Bailey's cream topping

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 03:04:24 PM »
Dang, that's a good one too.  Much better ideas than anything I have been able to find on the internets.

Offline debk

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »
I spent 12 days in Ireland several years ago, in late March. Every where we went there was some type of apple dessert..I know cause I ate it whatever it was!!! Pie, cake, baked apples, cobbler.

I have made a bread pudding with that I used cinnamon raisin bread and added diced apples. I have tried several different breads but the two I have liked the best was the cinnamon raisin at Aldie's, and Sunmaid that I found at Kroger's. Sunmaid was the best and I used 2 loaves to make a roasting pan of bread pudding. I always use Granny Smiths. I think I used 4 or 5. I used eggs, half and half, white sugar, vanilla and cinnamon for my custard. I use quite a bit of vanilla, because I think it gives it a great flavor. I mixed the apples through the bread chunks. Grated in some fresh orange peel. Then poured melted butter over the whole thing. It took about 2.5 hours to bake at 350. You will have to cover with foil to keep the top from burning.

Make a caramel butter sauce to go on top. I have used ButterShots, or vanilla with a bit of orange juice, but you could easily substitute whiskey instead. Recipe is after cake recipe.

I made a wonderful apple cake last week that was sooooo easy, and takes about 50 minutes to bake. I will give you the recipe the way I made it...I changed it up some.

Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce.

Grease a 9x13 pan (not glass). Preheat oven to 350.

5 large Granny Smiths - peeled and diced. (recipe called for 6 cups unpeeled apples - 9 medium)( I had 5 in the fridge)

In a separate bowl...
2c flour
1tsp baking powder
about 1/4 tsp salt  (recipe called for 1/2 tsp - I rarely use as much salt as recipe )
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon   (recipe called for 1/2 tsp - not near enough in my opinion)
1/2 tsp ground clove    (recipe called for nutmeg)

In large mixing bowl with beaters

1 stick of butter (real thing)
2 cups of sugar
 cream well then add -
2 eggs ( I always use jumbo eggs )

Add flour in slowly til mixed well

Add 1 cup coarse chopped pecans (recipe called for walnuts)

Mix well then stir in the apples. Batter is really stiff and difficult to mix when you add the apples and use mixer. (probably would have been easier if I had used my KitchenAide but I was using my small hand mixer because it's only supposed to be mixed until all is blended in)

Spread into pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. It took 50 in my oven.

Cool in pan for 45 minutes. Cake needs to set up, cause it's kind of crumbly. Keep it refridgerated. Recipe said it can be made ahead and frozen for up to 1 month. Reheat in 325 oven - foil covered -for 30 minutes. 

Serve with caramel sauce and I put whipped cream on top too. It was just for us, so I used "squirt" whipped cream, but for company I would make homemade and add cinnamon to it.

My Caramel Sauce

1 stick of butter
about 1 c of brown sugar
about 1/2 c milk, half and half, or whipping cream -whichever one I have.
about 1/4 c Buttershots (or 1Tbsp vanilla if not using alcohol)

put all together in sauce pan and cook until sugar is completely dissolved. be careful not to burn!!! add more sugar if too thin. ( I don't measure anything, just taste until I like it). keep refridgerated, will keep a good week or so if it lasts that long!

Caramel sauce recipe that was with cake...

in saucepan...
1/3 c butter
1/3 c white sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
1/3 c whipping cream

bring to a boil, remove from heat, add 1/4tsp vanilla.

The bread pudding is wonderful, but heavy after a big meal. It's great for breakfast too!!!

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »
Does tiramisu count if you use Bailey's?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 04:18:24 PM »
Does tiramisu count if you use Bailey's?

no.

:tongue:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 04:18:51 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Oh that sounds good too, Deb....thank you!

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 11:07:30 PM »
Y'all just get to dang complicated.
Whiskey.
Problem solved.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 06:58:32 AM »
Y'all just get to dang complicated.
Whiskey.
Problem solved.

Got that!  Hi5!

Offline CG6468

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
So, I am part of a supper club, and we go by themes, every 8 weeks or so.  In March, our theme is Irish and I got dessert.  I am serving Irish coffee, as I had requests for it, and need to serve something else.  I don't want to serve chocolate, and am leaning towards a bread pudding with whiskey sauce. 

Ideas? 

The diet lemonade cheesecake I've posted previously is really good!  :drool:
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »
The diet lemonade cheesecake I've posted previously is really good!  :drool:

It looks awesome, but I think I need something a little more "Irish-y" for this event.