Author Topic: brain damaged primitive hunkers down for storm  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: brain damaged primitive hunkers down for storm
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2013, 08:14:40 AM »
And since the Hurricane JCP&L and out of State Utilities have been doing a ton of work trimming and clearing branches around power lines to prevent trees from coming down on the power lines.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline tac

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2013, 08:19:09 AM »
It's all Bush's fault. Everything bad is Bush's fault.  :sarcasm:
When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

The more laws, the less justice.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2013, 08:41:36 AM »
The Weather Channel hypsters are still in a frenzy.

Humanity may not survive eleven inches of snow in Central Park.

It'd be nice if they got eleven feet.

Nemo, Nemo, Nemo, Nemo, Nemo.

And yesterday they did say the snow coming out of the Rockies was "Orko".

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2013, 08:50:15 AM »

It'd be nice if they got eleven feet

Has nads started giving emergency advice yet?

How much would eleven feet of snow be in nadin measurements? Five million centimeters or 28 meters?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »

Has nads started giving emergency advice yet?

How much would eleven feet of snow be in nadin measurements? Five million centimeters or 28 meters?

Considering she once reported five meters of hailstones in Mexico City, the sky's the limit.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2013, 09:19:58 AM »

It'd be nice if they got eleven feet.

The problem with snow in NYC is that they have no where to put it.   They just can't plow the snow to the sides of the street like everywhere else in the USA.    They have to completely remove it.

Kind of shuts them down while they do that.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
The problem with snow in NYC is that they have no where to put it.   They just can't plow the snow to the sides of the street like everywhere else in the USA.    They have to completely remove it.

That's why it'd be nice to see them get eleven feet.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2013, 07:01:35 PM »
The problem with snow in NYC is that they have no where to put it.   They just can't plow the snow to the sides of the street like everywhere else in the USA.    They have to completely remove it.

They could, I suppose, drive it down to the wharves and dump the stuff into the water.

And, that storm in the central US did get a name from The Weather Channel--GOBUCKS had mentioned in a past thread that the storm out there is named 'Orko.'  In another thread (?), Dori (IIRC) mentions that some guy on FNC was saying something about 3 or 4 nor'easters in February this year, because of the weather patterns being the same as they were in the 50s.  That sounds like something that Joe Bastardi, of WeatherBell.com, would say.  (Thing is, he's right.)  Rick Reichmuth on FNC was saying something to the effect of another possible nor'easter developing for the Thursday/Friday time frame, and another nor'easter possibly developing a week from tomorrow (Sunday).

So, hopefully the brain-damaged primitive will have some sort of catastrophic occurrence in those next two storms.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:03:37 PM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
So, hopefully the brain-damaged primitive will have some sort of catastrophic occurrence in those next two storms.

<<<praying fervently.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »
The good Governor has banned all cars on roads after 4 p.m.   We are getting 3 feet here in my neck of the woods.   We are well stocked with a generator.   We'll be just fine.

ETA:  It isn't the amount of snow, it's the blizzard conditions that make this one a dangerous storm.

Stay safe! I completely understand how the conditions of a blizzard can make it more dangerous then just snow fall. Three feet of snow can easily drift and cover one side of a  person's home or car during the night. It's even more dangerous for our elderly. Older Americans often try to deal with the snow themselves and I have known several that have had heart failure or slip and fall just walking outside. 

High winds, poor visibility, ice underneath the snow and the rest of the dangers is nothing to discredit. It's also tough on those that need an ambulance or other emergency services, roads end up drifted shut.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »
If I had to wait until Sunday to get my street cleared, I'd be a little pissed.

It was very common for me to have to wait in areas after heavy snow fall.

Part of the problem is that some of the main roads, start drifting shut after they plow them the first time.

It's amazing how many neighbors will pitch in and help each other when it comes to snow. I know I did my part when I was a young kid and had plenty others help me later in life. I'm no city kid.

After a long day at work, pulling into your driveway to see someone has plowed your drive and cleaned your sidewalks is like quick sex.

Offline Dori

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but can they put heaters of somesort under concrete driveways and walks?  I know you can get heated concrete flooring inside of homes.

The one winter I lived in Colorado I could tell who had good attic insulation by how much snow accumulated on their roofs.  I noticed without it, the homes that didn't have it, the snow would melt off pretty quick.

Mine was one of them :(

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline thundley4

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2013, 12:25:21 PM »
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but can they put heaters of somesort under concrete driveways and walks?  I know you can get heated concrete flooring inside of homes.

The one winter I lived in Colorado I could tell who had good attic insulation by how much snow accumulated on their roofs.  I noticed without it, the homes that didn't have it, the snow would melt off pretty quick.

When there is good insulation and the snow doesn't melt, it means someone has to go up and shovel it off to keep the roof from collapsing.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2013, 01:22:46 PM »

Car washes have heated floors to keep ice from forming during the winter. A lot of shops that I worked in had heated floors, as heat rises.  I think the electricity cost would be pretty high for an outside driveway, although it does sound like a great idea. Once you have that much snow, I think it would be an endless battle.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »
Well, I'm not suffering any--just constant drizzle, nothing more than that--but dutch508's part of the state is really in trouble.

Blizzards, high winds, shifting snow, and power outages.

The Nebraska Public Power District reported power outages to 559 customers in Bassett. Another 838 customers were without power in Atkinson as high winds moved through the area.

NPPD said power had been restored in Atkinson by 10 a.m. and in Bassett by 10:45 a.m.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:42 PM »
^^^actually, those towns are closer to franksolich than to dutch508.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »
I got some rain today.  :p
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2013, 01:56:31 PM »
I got some rain today.  :p
Same here.  I could have done without it.  I have stuff to do.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
We had just enough rain yesterday to make my car dirty.

It cooled off here, I doubt we hit 60 today.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but can they put heaters of somesort under concrete driveways and walks?

Yes, you sure can. I'm very familiar with one large office building built that way up there in snow country.

I don't know if it was hot water or electrical heating, but it was built into all the sidewalks and driveways.

They didn't just melt, they would be dry as a bone after a snow or ice storm, so they really only needed to operate while the storm was actually going on.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2013, 02:48:56 PM »
Yes, you sure can. I'm very familiar with one large office building built that way up there in snow country.

I don't know if it was hot water or electrical heating, but it was built into all the sidewalks and driveways.

They didn't just melt, they would be dry as a bone after a snow or ice storm, so they really only needed to operate while the storm was actually going on.

I thought a hot water heater (boiler) might work, as long as it was kept operational in the cold and the pipes did not freeze.