Author Topic: brain damaged primitive hunkers down for storm  (Read 4721 times)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Re: brain damaged primitive hunkers down for storm
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 01:34:49 PM »
Miskie, I was thinking about you this morning.  Keep us posted if you can, and stay safe.

Same from me, miskie. :cheersmate:

So far, so good.

Mail is delivered, I'm home. The three kids are with their grandparents for the weekend, and the missus has been sequestered by her employer ( she fields service calls for the evil rethug gas & electric monopoly)  - they are paying for the hotel, and are shuttling her back and forth to work. So, its just me and the critters.

Trying to get out to deliver mail tomorrow should be fun...  

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »
The good Governor has banned all cars on roads after 4 p.m.   We are getting 3 feet here in my neck of the woods.   We are well stocked with a generator.   We'll be just fine.

ETA:  It isn't the amount of snow, it's the blizzard conditions that make this one a dangerous storm.

Offline Karin

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
We are well stocked with a generator.

Good to know, FL!  Stay safe & warm. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »
Did you notice if any trees or power lines are down?

I'm hoping the brain-damaged primitive similarly feels a hankering for a take-out submarine sandwich.....

I've got to agree with GOBUCKS about the hype, so far, at least.  We've had maybe an inch of light, fluffy snow.  The heavy stuff is supposed to come right around sundown, and continue throughout the night.  We're due to get, according to the latest estimates from (where else?) TWC, 7 to 13 inches when this is all over.  YNN is saying that we'll get slightly less.

Seeing that Carl is very close to the next higher snow gradient (18 to 24 inches), I wonder how he's doing.

As for possible trees/power lines, all of the power lines around here are underground.  Trees are another story.  Lots of 'em.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
As for possible trees/power lines, all of the power lines around here are underground.  Trees are another story.  Lots of 'em.

But I don't want trees, or power lines if overhead, to fall on decent and civilized people.

I am however hoping what's above the brain-damaged primitive in northern New Jersey is criss-crossed with, cluttered with, congested with, lots and lots of trees and power lines, and he decides to take a walk.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »
But I don't want trees, or power lines if overhead, to fall on decent and civilized people.

I am however hoping what's above the brain-damaged primitive in northern New Jersey is criss-crossed with, cluttered with, congested with, lots and lots of trees and power lines, and he decides to take a walk.....

Well, extreme northeastern New Jersey was in the 12 to 18 inch range.  One can hope.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »
That's the problem with the prognosticators of doom & gloom. They get it wrong so often that folks eventually ignore warnings and then the real deal hits.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Dori

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
That's the problem with the prognosticators of doom & gloom. They get it wrong so often that folks eventually ignore warnings and then the real deal hits.

Like Sandy.

The weather guy on FOX said that the NE is going to get several more storms in the next 3-4 weeks.  He said this is a weather pattern that is similar to the 1950's.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »
Well now, while it's still perfectly fine here on the eastern slope of the Sandhills of Nebraska, it's not so great on the western slope, where dutch508 has his cattle baroncy.

A blizzard watch remains in effect from Saturday evening through Sunday evening.

* Timing... rain will change to snow from west to east Saturday night and Sunday morning. Snow is expected to continue Sunday afternoon before tapering off to flurries Sunday evening.

* Snow accumulations... north of a line from Ogallala... to Stapleton... to O'Neill... 5 to 10 inches of snow is possible.

* Wind... north winds of 30 to 40 mph... with gusts up to 55 mph are expected after the rain changes to snow. This will cause considerable blowing and drifting snow... greatly limiting visibility and making some roads impassable.

* Impacts... travel will become very hazardous if not impossible late Saturday night through Sunday evening due to snow... strong winds... blowing snow... deep drifts and reduced visibility.

Drudge however's not saying a damned thing about it, as if we don't exist.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
Well now, while it's still perfectly fine here on the eastern slope of the Sandhills of Nebraska, it's not so great on the western slope, where dutch508 has his cattle baroncy.

Storms don't matter unless they hit swarms of democrats.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2013, 12:17:43 AM »
Storms don't matter unless they hit swarms of democrats.

Well, this is what dutch508'll be doing, circa 24 hours from now:

And people in the effete northeast think they have it bad.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2013, 12:56:40 AM »
I'd like to watch him drive that. :rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2013, 01:34:36 AM »
I'd like to watch him drive that. :rofl:

Mine's coming Sunday evening, but as it'll've spent most of its force over on dutch508's side, it's not expected to be as bad here.  Bad, but not real bad.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2013, 01:57:06 AM »
If I had to wait until Sunday to get my street cleared, I'd be a little pissed.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2013, 04:29:09 AM »

That's because when it hits a group of states from NJ through Maine on the coast, it is hitting a very large population of people in many urban cities.   

We still have power, and my husband just cleared the driveway (3 feet of snow).   It's the drifts that are bad.   

Still snowing.   We can handle it fine here in Central MA, however everything in Boston comes to a crippling halt as they don't typically get snow like this.    Wind gusts at Logan airport are over hurricane force by the way. 

This was/is a nasty storm.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:23 AM »
Like Sandy.

The weather guy on FOX said that the NE is going to get several more storms in the next 3-4 weeks.  He said this is a weather pattern that is similar to the 1950's.

That rodent groundhog is one sick bastard.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2013, 05:00:18 AM »
Well now, while it's still perfectly fine here on the eastern slope of the Sandhills of Nebraska, it's not so great on the western slope, where dutch508 has his cattle barony.

More of a Cattle Duchy, sans bovins, I am afraid. At least for the moment. In the spring we hope to have herds roaming again.

As for the Storm of the Century, I will be working tomorrow night as the metropolitan constable. We could get no snow, or some, or lots. 5 to 18 inches is the best guess at the moment.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2013, 05:12:43 AM »
Gusty winds may result in blowing and drifting snow this morning...

Look for west to northwest winds to gust to 40 mph this morning... especially across the higher terrain. The gusty winds may cause blowing and drifting of the newly fallen snow.

Many tree limbs and power lines have been coated with heavy snow.  The gusty winds... combined with the weight of the snow... could be enough to take down tree limbs and power lines... resulting in power outages.

If you plan to travel this morning... be prepared for winter driving conditions. Leave yourself plenty of extra time to reach your destination safely.

^^^current status of the brain-damaged primitive in northern New Jersey.

<<<hoping the brain-damaged primitive decides to take a walk outdoors, underneath lots of trees and power lines.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
Re: Atman's all-white cat is lost in raging blizzard
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2013, 06:19:57 AM »
By the way, I just checked the latest weather forecast for the upper Great Plains states (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas).  It's not looking good.

And there's others who apparently feel the same way I do, about the lack of media coverage.

Bruce Brovold · NDSU

I bet the weather channel will not name this storm and will not even mention it on TV, they do not even know where Fargo is.

Nadine Froderman · Top Commenter · School of Hard Knocks, University of Life

You can bet your bottom dollar that those of us in the upper midwest won't get the coverage during our blizzard that New England is getting. We have less population and a lot of open country, fewer tv stations, etc. These storms affect us just as much as those on the east coast does, But apparently, we're not as important.

Connie Gilpin

They may not know where Fargo is on the weather map....But they stand in front of Arkansas while they're looking! Watch sometime. They not only don't talk about weather in Arkansas, they block it while they point everywhere else.

If it's any consolation [probably not :^)] I KNOW where Fargo is!

Laura Noonan · Also work at southside restrant at Clems

even worse bemidji mn.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2013, 07:00:08 AM »
See, this is what ticks me off, especially with Drudge, who knows better.

There's lots and lots of weather happening all across the United States, but his coverage is only on a little tiny part of it.

True, that little tiny part has tens of millions of people in it, more than anywhere else in the country, but that simply means it offers more "human interest" stories (people lost in storms, people surviving storms, shutdown of commercial activity, traffic problems, &c., &c., &c.), not that the weather there's more important than the weather anywhere else.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2013, 07:37:25 AM »
Just reporting in -

We managed to lose neither heat nor power, and even cable and internet service have remained uninterrupted. The only negative is I cant get out of the house at the moment - even though I shoveled out everything at 8PM EST last night.

It seems it drifted and then froze, sealing the doors.

I've not checked the roof yet, but I am fairly confident its in good shape. When there is a lot of snow on it, it creates a tangible difference to the upstairs - Its as if the air pressure is different than usual - I can't explain it any other way.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2013, 07:59:02 AM »
The storm wasn't as bad as they projected in our (Dain and my) area. My husband just used the snowblower once last night and is doing it now, a few storms we had in the past he was out there almost all night.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »
The storm wasn't as bad as they projected in our (Dain and my) area. My husband just used the snowblower once last night and is doing it now, a few storms we had in the past he was out there almost all night.

But does it look as if any trees or power lines are susceptible to coming down on the brain-damaged primitive's head?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »
But does it look as if any trees or power lines are susceptible to coming down on the brain-damaged primitive's head?

We have a ton of trees and looking at them now they just have powdery snow on them, no idea why he's saying it's heavy wet snow, it was cold enough that we pretty much only had snow not a mix of snow and rain which would cause the heavy stuff on the trees.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats