Author Topic: Question about basketball....  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Flame

Question about basketball....
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:43:57 AM »
I know next to nothing about the game...I mean, I know what traveling and double dribbling, etc are, but I don't know they various positions and what they are supposed to do.

My little guy is going to be Point Guard on his team, and I was looking for pointers that I can give him to help him out.  He's never played before this year, so he's very new at this, too.  I googles point guard, and saw the wiki entry, but real "people speak" would help me out!

Thanks.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: Question about basketball....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 09:16:22 AM »
He needs to be able to dribble with both hands, handle the ball without looking at it, and pass the ball well.

I'm assuming he's a little guy. Those are the fundamentals, I would think, that the coach is looking for.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:39:11 PM »
He is supposed to break down the defense with the dribble and kick to open shooters on offense and to harrass, eventually creating turnovers, the ball on the perimeter on defense.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:44:25 PM »
He needs to be able to dribble with both hands, handle the ball without looking at it, and pass the ball well.

I'm assuming he's a little guy. Those are the fundamentals, I would think, that the coach is looking for.

cool...it is my understanding he is supposed to pass the ball to an open player for them to shoot.  Will he also have the opportunity to take a shot?

He can dribble and pass, and his jump shot is much better than his layup.  He IS the shortest kid on his team...significantly so, so I didn't think he'd do well right under the basket for rebounds, etc.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 03:04:25 PM »
While the point guard gets his share of shots, his main role is that of playmaker... His strongest stat should be assists. It's good that his jump shot is his strongest scoring aspect. However, a good point guard looks to pass first in most offense situations. If he can get good at bounce-passing into the bigger guys, he'll be way ahead of the game.

Defensively, Odin's Hand is correct. His practice should focus on footwork. Good basketball defense is played with the feet and hips. His main job on defense is to make the other point guard pick up his dribble and create turnovers. Any drill that emphasizes quick feet would be helpful here.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »

cool...it is my understanding he is supposed to pass the ball to an open player for them to shoot.  Will he also have the opportunity to take a shot?

He can dribble and pass, and his jump shot is much better than his layup.  He IS the shortest kid on his team...significantly so, so I didn't think he'd do well right under the basket for rebounds, etc.

There have been some very good short players in the NBA.  To succeed he will have to handle the ball well when he has it, and steal it when he doesn't (short guys have a big advantage there).  Traditionally, short dudes shoot from way outside -- that negates the height advantage of the opposition.

All of these can be had by practice and discipline.  Something that is almost unheard of today.  Magic Johnson used to shoot 1,000 free throws a day.  Which is why he had a 90% free throw average his entire career and usually led the league in that area. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »
What fun!  :hyper:

Lot's of good tips above.

I'd just say that as a ball handler he really ought to practice ball type drills a lot (a lot) if he's new to the game. For example:

On the court/driveway
- Up the court with the right hand. (w/o looking at the ball)
- Down the court with the left hand. (eye's up again to see who is open, what the defense is up to)
- Switching the dribble from hand to hand, dribbling backwards. (keeping the ball safe)
- Sprinting with the dribble, between the legs and/or zig-zaging with the dribble. (ball security)
- Just plain sprinting. Make sure he runs on his toes and not flat footed.

At home/in front of TV
- Pass the ball to himself between hands. (eye's off the ball)
- Work the ball around the body, between the legs around the head, whatever...
*Just generally get a feel for the weight and feel of the ball. It's for hand eye coordination, muscle memory and just good excercise. It looks like a circus act and isn't a "game skill" per se but it works. It helps with confidence and ball control and can be practiced almost anywhere or anytime.

Oh, and have fun:-)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Flame

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, guys.  He's 7, and he's shot baskets in the driveway for years, and "played" basketball with his 12 yr old brother, but nothing "organized".

He's got a natural speed, and sports ability, and I try encourage it when I can.  I think he's earned a new knickname...if you've ever seen Space Jam, when Elmer Fudd is doing the slam dunk, with his tongue hanging out...that's what the little guy looks like any time he's got the ball...his tongue jammed in his lip.  We've been calling him Fudd.  :-)

Now baseball...I can do baseball all day!! (that he's played for 2 years already..skipped t-ball and went right into pitching machine at age 5)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, guys.  He's 7, and he's shot baskets in the driveway for years, and "played" basketball with his 12 yr old brother, but nothing "organized".

He's got a natural speed, and sports ability, and I try encourage it when I can.  I think he's earned a new knickname...if you've ever seen Space Jam, when Elmer Fudd is doing the slam dunk, with his tongue hanging out...that's what the little guy looks like any time he's got the ball...his tongue jammed in his lip.  We've been calling him Fudd.  :-)

Now baseball...I can do baseball all day!! (that he's played for 2 years already..skipped t-ball and went right into pitching machine at age 5)

Working hard on your retirement plan there??  ;)

(hehehe -- I say that to all my friends with kids that are good athletes)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.