Author Topic: the 12 worst supermarkets in America  (Read 6330 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
the 12 worst supermarkets in America
« on: January 24, 2013, 02:52:41 AM »
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Media/Slideshow/2012/04/13/12-Worst-Supermarkets-in-America.aspx?index=1

The 12 Worst Supermarkets in America

12 Stop & Shop (Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island)
11 Acme (Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania)
10 Ralph's (southern California)
09 Pick 'n Save (Wisconsin)
08 Food Lion (mid- and south Atlantic regions)
07 Weis Markets (Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia
06 Tops Markets (New York, Pennsylvania)
05 Jewel-Osco (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa)
04 A & P (Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania
03 Shaw's (Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont)
02 Wal-Mart SuperCenter (national)
01 Pathmark (Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania)
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
Re: the 12 worst supermarkets in America
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:36:04 AM »
Well, I have experience and no complaints with three of those.

So, whatevs.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline MissTeri

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:05 AM »
As a native Chicagoan, I can say that Jewel-Osco has been going downhill for decades.  Once Dominik's grocery stores (family owned) became popular, Jewel-Osco has been left in the dust.  Kroger is VERY expensive, but clean.  I shop at Walmart because of price.  When I can, I go to Sam's warehouse to stock up--and Sam's meat and fish is the best in the business in my opinion.  Only one grocery chain is supreme above all grocery stores in price, service, and in every other way: Wegman's.  Awesome stores.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:34:47 AM »
Most Walmarts are filthy holes in the wall.   Their produce looks sickly.   While their prices may be cheaper, the store experience itself most of the time isn't worth the savings.

Stop and Shop is hit or miss.  Some are extremely clean, with great produce.   Others not so much.

Whole Foods hands down has the best produce around here. 

Offline tac

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »
What I have noticed at Walmart is the produce is usually outdated, and many times growing mold. I work at a church food bank and much of what we get in from Walmart we have to toss.

Whole Foods is pretty good from what I have seen at our food bank.

We have Sprouts here in CO and they are usually good.

No experience with the rest. 
When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

The more laws, the less justice.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Undies

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:57:08 AM »
Our local Walmart Supercenter is very clean, well-organized, and a good shopping experience.  Their produce is very well maintained.  The staff is generally polite and ready to help.

I don't understand why Walmart, one of the most successful corporations in the world, would run such a great store near me and then so many filthy holes-in-the-walls elsewhere.  It just doesn't make sense.

In fact, I have seven Walmarts in my area.  I don't have a problem with any of them except the one in the city.  It is just too busy. 

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Media/Slideshow/2012/04/13/12-Worst-Supermarkets-in-America.aspx?index=1

Of those on the list, I only have experience with Wal-Mart.  The only complaint I have there is the lines at checkout.

Another store we have in town is Save-a-Lot.  Prior to our store being taken over by another local chain, their store frankly smelled awful, like rotting meat.  The new ownership has turned it around and even opened up a second save-a-lot.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 10:38:10 AM »
Our local Walmart Supercenter is very clean, well-organized, and a good shopping experience.  Their produce is very well maintained.  The staff is generally polite and ready to help.

I don't understand why Walmart, one of the most successful corporations in the world, would run such a great store near me and then so many filthy holes-in-the-walls elsewhere.  It just doesn't make sense.

In fact, I have seven Walmarts in my area.  I don't have a problem with any of them except the one in the city.  It is just too busy. 

My local Walmarts are very clean and well-organized.  The one by my work is a dump.  Go figure.  I typically shop for groceries at Aldi though. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline CG6468

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:37:16 AM »
As a native Chicagoan, I can say that Jewel-Osco has been going downhill for decades.  Once Dominik's grocery stores (family owned) became popular, Jewel-Osco has been left in the dust.  Kroger is VERY expensive, but clean.  I shop at Walmart because of price.  When I can, I go to Sam's warehouse to stock up--and Sam's meat and fish is the best in the business in my opinion.  Only one grocery chain is supreme above all grocery stores in price, service, and in every other way: Wegman's.  Awesome stores.

Jewel/Osco is for sale. The deal may be real close.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Karin

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:31:11 PM »
Our Walmart grocery is fine; it's not my first choice, but if I need cat supplies and other stuff, I'll go.  Produce looks OK.  It's the people that affect my shopping experience.  A lot of ill-mannered kids, running around, screaming, blocking aisles.  I start to get agorophobia.  A lot of fat people in those gokarts, going beep-beep-beep as they back up. 

I like Hannaford.  It's peaceful, clean, good selection.  I never have been to a Wegman's. 

Offline Dori

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
My favorite store here is Von's, but too expensive and unionized...bleh.

I shop around for price.  Costco, Food 4-less and Value+.  Sometimes I go to the dollar store, Big-lots and even Trader Joe's.

I feel creepy at our Walmart.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »
The only place in my nieghborhood is a crowded Kroger with a small parking lot.  I'm waiting for the Publix down the road to open.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »
Costco is the SUPREME place for groceries, AFAIC. Especially when you're buying in bulk. Great deli, great bakery and the prepared food is outstanding. Their chicken pot pie is to die for.

Unfortunately, the closest Costco to me is a 2 hour drive away. Which leaves Sam's Club - not as good as Costco, though Mrs E and I do have a membership.

In our area, the best grocery store is Hy Vee, but it's pricey. Clover Natural Foods is okay, but selections are limited because it's so small. Wal-Mart is a distant third, but to be honest, it's where we do most of our non-produce shopping.

If you want old stuff, Wal-mart's the place to go.  :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »
I try my best not to ever shop at supermarkets! I buy my beef and chicken from a local farmer. I grow my rabbits and eggs. I shoot deer and boar. I can most of my winter veggies and have fresh all summer. I do have to supplement canned goods. Everything else I buy at Wally world! Coffee, flour and and dry goods, stuff like that. I go to the store once a month maybe?   
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 04:55:44 PM »
I usually get my groceries from PeaPod and Costco.  I have Trader Joe's and Dominicks within walking distance. I hit them up as well.

I refuse to shop at Jewel, except at the smaller one in the loop.  It's clean but  expensive. The others are just nasty.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »
Like Eupher, our nearest COSTCO is about an hour from us, over in Indiana. So we belong to Sam's Club, but we don't go there too much because of the clientele, if ya catch my drift..

I've had very good luck at Pick 'n Save when we visit our daughter up beyond the Cheddar Curtain.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 01:08:12 AM »
Shaw's is WAY overpriced.  Ditto Hannaford's.  Market Basket is okay for a "cheapo" chain for basics (don't bother asking for corn tortillas.)

Walmart has a better selection but I don't care for their meat or their produce.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42:34 AM »
We call Hannaford's cantafford.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »
Ive been to several Walmarts In Iowa. I will only shop at one, and its in a ritzy area of town. The rest are dives in the grocery section.

Here is a hint when shopping at Walmart. Only buy prepackaged goods, and ALWAYS check the expiration date.
Even at the one good store the products are kept out until the day they expire. More than once have I bought items and found out They expired the day after i got them.

When I go to walmart now it is only for a dry goods store. Never for groceries. I may pay more, but I don't have to eat it all on the day I bought it.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 06:13:45 PM »

I haven't been to a Wal-Mart for groceries since I moved from the DFW area but the Wal-Mart I frequently went to in Highland Village had an awesome produce section.

But this Wal-Mart isn't an ordinary Wal-mart. If anyone wants to take a look at it click the LINK

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
Our Walmart grocery is fine; it's not my first choice, but if I need cat supplies and other stuff, I'll go.  Produce looks OK.  It's the people that affect my shopping experience.  A lot of ill-mannered kids, running around, screaming, blocking aisles.  I start to get agorophobia.  A lot of fat people in those gokarts, going beep-beep-beep as they back up.  

I like Hannaford.  It's peaceful, clean, good selection.  I never have been to a Wegman's.  

Once I was in one with my mom and there were two black women with a child. The kid was running up and own the aisle screeming and the women were on opposite sides of an aisel yelling back and forth about what to get.  It was obnoxious. People were glancing at each other with knowing looks on thir face.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 06:30:58 PM by BEG »

Offline Johnny Yuma

• Just Off Probation
  • AR is for Armalite
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »
WalMart Super Center here is good ...  clean and well staffed , even at midnight , except at 12:01am on food stamp day ..

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »
I love Publix, but I just can't afford to feed 4 kids shopping there.  Great customer service and management.

I probably split my time between Walmart and Kroger which are both neat, organized, and well staffed.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline CG6468

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
Supervalu to sell Jewel-Osco, other chains to Cerberus group

January 10, 2013|By Emily Bryson York | Tribune staff reporter

Jewel-Osco stores will be sold to a consortium of investors led by Cerberus Capital Management, Jewel's parent Supervalu said Thursday.

The deal, valued at $3.3 billion, also includes the Albertsons, Acme, and Shaw stores.

The announcement ends months of speculation that all or parts of the troubled grocery chain would be sold to New York-based Cerberus, an investment firm. Supervalu acquired Jewel in 2006 as part of a larger, complex acquisition of the Albertsons company.

Supervalu also reported earnings of $16 million, or 8 cents per share, in the third quarter ended on Dec. 1, compared with a year-earlier loss of $750 million, or $3.54 per share.

Excluding an after-tax gain related to a cash settlement from credit card companies and after-tax charges primarily related to store closures, it earned $5 million, or 3 cents per share.

As part of the deal, which includes $100 million in cash and $3.2 billion in debt, the five grocery chains will be acquired by AB Acquisition, an affiliate of Cerberus. Other investors in the deal include Kimco Realty Corp, Klaff Realty, Lubert-Adler Partners and Schottenstein Real Estate Group.

Following the sale, which is expected to close in the spring, a newly formed entity called Symphony Investors, led by Cerberus, will purchase up to 30 percent of Supervalu's outstanding shares for $4 each, representing a 50 percent premium over the stock's 30-day average. If Symphony cannot acquire at least 19.9 percent of the outstanding shares at that price, Supervalu must issue additional stock.

Wall Street has long expected Eden Prairie, Minn.-based Supervalu to sell some or all of its assets.

Following the deal, Supervalu will consist of its wholesale grocery business, the Save-A-Lot discount chain, and traditional grocery chains like Cub, Shop N' Save and Hornbacher's.

Any opinions?

Jewel/Osco 

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »
The only place in my nieghborhood is a crowded Kroger with a small parking lot.  I'm waiting for the Publix down the road to open.

As a stockholder in Publix, I appreciate your support. I wish there was one near me. Until then, I'll have to shop at the commissary.