Author Topic: Do not buy LG Tromm fnt ldr washer & dryer or Miele Platinum Plus dishwasher  (Read 41123 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Yup. The more bells and whistles you buy, the more problems you'll eventually have. Good health is only  temporary.

You mean you're not one of those people who has a $3000 stainless steel fridge/freezer with a Wi-Fi display?

Yeah, even I can't see that.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
You mean you're not one of those people who has a $3000 stainless steel fridge/freezer with a Wi-Fi display?

Yeah, even I can't see that.

Ix-nay on the Wi-Fi-nay, but I'd be less than honest if I said I don't buy things like power windows, power door locks, and a keyless entry. The bunwarmers and mirror heaters that I had in my 2000 Saturn were very nice.

I got rid of that car before those things started acting up.

But on the appliance end, I'm looking for QUIET and RELIABLE and DOES IT GET THE SHIT DONE. I don't give a tinker's damn about the bullshit EnergyStar rating or how "pretty" the damned thing is. Mrs E wants stainless; I don't care, so she gets stainless.

But I want what I want -- that being the practical end of things -- and I'm willing to spend extra to get it. I think, in most cases, you get what you pay for. There are exceptions to that rule, of course, but if you do even a little bit of research and you know what you want, you can cut through the bullshit and select something that'll work "long time."
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Teri

• Banned
Look at this...I can get a brand spankin new Bosh dishwasher for less than I'm paying for the pump to be replaced in my Meile...

Bosch Ascenta 24-in Built-In $494.10 at Lowes.  figure tax, and added warranty and installation, it'll still be less than fixing the Meile to the tune of almost 800.00.

I know I won't get that same deal at the local appliance store either.  That's it...I'm putting this mutha out on the curb for scrap pickup.

Offline 17 Oaks

• US ARMY (RET)
Here's a pic of my fridge and front loaders.  We had that entire wall put in the kitchen that's packed with plumbing and electrical to accommodate the huge fridge and the front loaders.  I have been so disappointed with these appliances.  The fridge is great except for the ice maker that really sucks.  I guess you can't have everything.

We went to buy a new fridge, it was near $3,200 for the thing, crazy.  We were at Sears, not sure what brand it was as Sears carries everything.  Big sale, it was a Sat and some sales guy called in sick so we were left waiting on another couple ahead of us.  Sales guy said he would call us over the speaker.

I am wandering around and over in the back corner is their Kenmore Elite commercial line.  There sits a matching fridge and freezer, with a fancy enclosure for commercial kitchens.  I am just killing time but in looking at the set up, I go grab wife and show her, 17 cu ft fridge and 17 cu ft freezer.  All the enclosure is extra.  Price on the fridge is $1499, not sure how much the freezer is. But for us this would be a better setup and depending upon cost of freezer might even be cheaper.

We get called and take sales guy over to the far corner and ask him how much for the freezer?  IMAGINE our shock when he tells us the freezer AND fridge are $1499 for the PAIR!  WTF!!!!  They are SS, not quite as fancy on the inside but they are separate units and provide more fridge and freezer space total than the setup were were getting ready to buy.  We passed on the enclosure and drove out with the pair and have never looked back.  Longer warranty too as they are separate, they have dedicated compressors for each which makes them far more efficient and less costly to operate...
Don
Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...any questions?

Offline Teri

• Banned
We went to buy a new fridge, it was near $3,200 for the thing, crazy.  We were at Sears, not sure what brand it was as Sears carries everything.  Big sale, it was a Sat and some sales guy called in sick so we were left waiting on another couple ahead of us.  Sales guy said he would call us over the speaker.

I am wandering around and over in the back corner is their Kenmore Elite commercial line.  There sits a matching fridge and freezer, with a fancy enclosure for commercial kitchens.  I am just killing time but in looking at the set up, I go grab wife and show her, 17 cu ft fridge and 17 cu ft freezer.  All the enclosure is extra.  Price on the fridge is $1499, not sure how much the freezer is. But for us this would be a better setup and depending upon cost of freezer might even be cheaper.

We get called and take sales guy over to the far corner and ask him how much for the freezer?  IMAGINE our shock when he tells us the freezer AND fridge are $1499 for the PAIR!  WTF!!!!  They are SS, not quite as fancy on the inside but they are separate units and provide more fridge and freezer space total than the setup were were getting ready to buy.  We passed on the enclosure and drove out with the pair and have never looked back.  Longer warranty too as they are separate, they have dedicated compressors for each which makes them far more efficient and less costly to operate...

Sounds like you got a really good deal on those.  I wouldn't hesitate buying anything from Sears.  We've always had good luck with everything we purchased from them.

We paid around 2800.00 for our fridge when we first got it.  The price has come down on that model a bit since then.  I'm not unhappy with my fridge...only the ice maker, but that's not a biggie because it has so many other nice features that we use everyday.

I think on the dishwasher, we discussed that we'd like to buy a Bosh because they're rated the best currently.  I don't want the bottom line model, maybe next model up.  Stainless fronts are about an extra hundred bucks.  I believe I'd be just as happy with black because we've got mostly black and stainless in the kitchen, so it would work.

It's amazing how much money people are spending on appliances today...crazy prices!  I'm not one of those people who have to have all this fancy stuff, hubby likes all the LED lights, bells and whistles though.  You should see that dang toaster he bought...  It's ridiculous...has all kinds of LED blue lights and all kinds of settings I never use.  All I want is friggin toast...  :rotf:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Had a SS Bosch and will never have one again!!!

It was in the kitchen island on the end. The heat from it was damaging the outer panel of the custom cherry cabinet it was in.  :censored:

Took 4 hours to do a load of dishes. I'm sorry, but my dishes don't require additional heating the water up to 200+ degrees and I can't remember what the temp was for drying, but it was enough to start melting the finish off of the cabinet.

Switched it out for a Maytag SS and was very happy. I have one now that is also Maytag and is SS inside and out. The controls are on the top of the door frame. It works great and takes about 90 minutes.

Teri, how do you reach the controls on the dryer/washer on top? I'd need a small step ladder!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
I am in the market for a new dishwasher.  Samsung is in the lead.  I like the Bosch's, but they aren't set up well. 

Having sold appliances, Bosch uses an evaporative drying system, often causing spotting and dirty looking dishes. They are more energy efficient. Samsung is relatively new on the market for dishwashers, so I don't know about them. I do know that their washers & dryers were hit & miss. (Some were great, others didn't work so well.)  I'd recommend Kitchen Aid. I've owned them in the past and they were always unparalleled in cleaning the dishes. The last house I lived in up in MN, we had a Jenn Air. I was less than impressed with that one. LONG washing cycles & it just didn't clean as well as it should have for the $$$$ we paid for it.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Having sold appliances, Bosch uses an evaporative drying system, often causing spotting and dirty looking dishes. They are more energy efficient. Samsung is relatively new on the market for dishwashers, so I don't know about them. I do know that their washers & dryers were hit & miss. (Some were great, others didn't work so well.)  I'd recommend Kitchen Aid. I've owned them in the past and they were always unparalleled in cleaning the dishes. The last house I lived in up in MN, we had a Jenn Air. I was less than impressed with that one. LONG washing cycles & it just didn't clean as well as it should have for the $$$$ we paid for it.

Thanks buddy!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline 17 Oaks

• US ARMY (RET)
Our washer died and the cost to fix was a big chunk, the next day was Sun and we head out to find a new washer and dryer, we buy in pairs.  Sat night, we researched the internet on good, bad and ugly.  We had a list.  We hit all the stores, Best Buy, Sears, Lowes and the independents.  EVERYONE got asked the same question:  Tell me straight up, you are buy for your family, your use, what would you buy and unhappy customers and warranty service, who is the best?  100% same answer...Samsung Powerfoam VRT and matching dryer.

Now to find the best price:  We are driving by a Lowe's on the far NW side of town and it looks big, so we decide to stop there and get their pricing.  We walk in there must be 25 of these things sitting around.  And the price is slashed to say the least.  Turns out this store had received their and another stores shipment of these along with a lot of others for a big Spring sale that weekend.  They had far too many of that model and it was either pack them up and send them out to other stores or just sell them and that worked well for us so we bought a set and my wife who FIRMLY believes that a happy wife is a happy life tells me they are the best W/D she has ever owned and get clothes a lot cleaner...my clothes get dirty here on the ranch, real dirty with dirt, oil, grease rubbed into my jeans and shirts.
Don
Got here thru God, Guns and Guts, I speak John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere; this make ME: Christian, Conservative, Capitalist, Constitutionalist...any questions?

Offline Teri

• Banned
Had a SS Bosch and will never have one again!!!

It was in the kitchen island on the end. The heat from it was damaging the outer panel of the custom cherry cabinet it was in.  :censored:

Took 4 hours to do a load of dishes. I'm sorry, but my dishes don't require additional heating the water up to 200+ degrees and I can't remember what the temp was for drying, but it was enough to start melting the finish off of the cabinet.

Switched it out for a Maytag SS and was very happy. I have one now that is also Maytag and is SS inside and out. The controls are on the top of the door frame. It works great and takes about 90 minutes.

Teri, how do you reach the controls on the dryer/washer on top? I'd need a small step ladder!!

I'm about 5'3" so I can reach them pretty good.  Now my cupboards are the problem...I do have a step stool for those.  I love my cabinets and I can reach the second shelf, but for the top, I have to get on my stool...LOL

Offline Teri

• Banned
Our washer died and the cost to fix was a big chunk, the next day was Sun and we head out to find a new washer and dryer, we buy in pairs.  Sat night, we researched the internet on good, bad and ugly.  We had a list.  We hit all the stores, Best Buy, Sears, Lowes and the independents.  EVERYONE got asked the same question:  Tell me straight up, you are buy for your family, your use, what would you buy and unhappy customers and warranty service, who is the best?  100% same answer...Samsung Powerfoam VRT and matching dryer.

Now to find the best price:  We are driving by a Lowe's on the far NW side of town and it looks big, so we decide to stop there and get their pricing.  We walk in there must be 25 of these things sitting around.  And the price is slashed to say the least.  Turns out this store had received their and another stores shipment of these along with a lot of others for a big Spring sale that weekend.  They had far too many of that model and it was either pack them up and send them out to other stores or just sell them and that worked well for us so we bought a set and my wife who FIRMLY believes that a happy wife is a happy life tells me they are the best W/D she has ever owned and get clothes a lot cleaner...my clothes get dirty here on the ranch, real dirty with dirt, oil, grease rubbed into my jeans and shirts.

I feel her pain...  I'm anal about getting grease and stains out...I wish I didn't care, but I can't stand to pull anything out of the dryer that still has a stain on it.  It gets the full treatment and back into the wash again.  Sometimes I hate myself...  :rotf:

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning

Top of the line from Whirlpool........or is Whirlpool lower line from Kitchen Aid ?  :confused:
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Here's a pic of my fridge and front loaders.  We had that entire wall put in the kitchen that's packed with plumbing and electrical to accommodate the huge fridge and the front loaders.  I have been so disappointed with these appliances.  The fridge is great except for the ice maker that really sucks.  I guess you can't have everything.

This pull out drawer is great...I can fit everything in this fridge.

I have the exact same LG washer/dryer (except I have pedestals) and Samsung refrigerator.  I have the extra "soda" drawer that you can select the temp, we really like to soda drawer.  The only issue I have with the fridge is the amount of ice it makes and that is only when we have a ton of guests.  Like when we had 10 people here during christmas (including us) and it couldn't keep up.  I haven't had any other issues yet...knock on wood.

Edited to add: I have a steam washer and dryer, I noticed you don't have the steam drawer on your dryer. I really love have the steam incase I need to just refresh something or I forget to get something out of the dryer like jeans.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:16:09 PM by BEG »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Top of the line from Whirlpool........or is Whirlpool lower line from Kitchen Aid ?  :confused:

It's my understanding that Kenmore (Sears) are made by Whirlpool. Whirlpool is a standalone company.

http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com/
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline chitownchica

My parents either have the same model refrigerator you do, or one similar. They are really happy with it.  Knock on wood (like BEG said).  They had a Maytag they liked, but it was white and they wanted stainless in their new house. The Maytag is now in the garage. 
They also have a Bosch dishwasher. They like it. It's very quiet, but they get water spots like crazy and hazy looking glasses that don't look clean. I'm going to pass on the info Thor mentioned above.

My limited experience with Miele is due to owning one of their vacuums.  I've been very happy with it.  It's relatively quiet and very easy to drag around.  It works like a dream on cat hair :).  I always drool when I see their built in coffee makers.  I could see having one of those in a dream house.

Offline J P Sousa

It's my understanding that Kenmore (Sears) are made by Whirlpool. Whirlpool is a standalone company.

http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com/

Yeah Whirlpool is bigger than I thought. Looks like the difference between Whirlpool and KitchenAid is bells and whistles.

Don't be Hoodwinked by What's on the Hood

• Appliances

FOUR COMPANIES MAKE 90% of the home appliances sold in this country--under more than a dozen brand names, of course. Whirlpool, for example, manufactures KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Roper and Estate; Maytag also makes Amana and Jenn-Air. And they all make products for Sears' house brand Kenmore, which doesn't actually manufacture anything.

Whirlpool $1,399 VS. KitchenAid $1,699

The Whirlpool and the KitchenAid are manufactured in the same plant in Fort Smith, Ark. They share the same dimensions, cooling systems, dispensers and filtration technology. Where they differ is in features and exterior design elements.

CHILL OUT This Whirlpool fridge has a shelf where the KitchenAid has a wine rack. SEE CLEARLY Both have H2O filters, but the KitchenAid's is larger. BE COOL The Whirlpool has one freezer drawer. The KitchenAid? Two.

The Deal Three hundred bucks for a wine rack and a freezer drawer?

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/moneymag_archive/2006/04/01/8373385/index.htm

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline Teri

• Banned
I have the exact same LG washer/dryer (except I have pedestals) and Samsung refrigerator.  I have the extra "soda" drawer that you can select the temp, we really like to soda drawer.  The only issue I have with the fridge is the amount of ice it makes and that is only when we have a ton of guests.  Like when we had 10 people here during christmas (including us) and it couldn't keep up.  I haven't had any other issues yet...knock on wood.

Edited to add: I have a steam washer and dryer, I noticed you don't have the steam drawer on your dryer. I really love have the steam incase I need to just refresh something or I forget to get something out of the dryer like jeans.

BEG, they came out with that model around the same time or shortly after we bought these back in 2005.  Yeah, I would like that steam cycle, but I don't have it.  Maybe next time and if the pump and rollers keep going on these it'll be soon.  In all truth though...my washer and dryer run almost non stop.  They go from morning till night because of the amount of laundry I have to do, so I guess I shouldn't complain about them too much after all.  I'm not so easy on my appliances either...  We don't even want to talk about vacuums...I get in fights with mine when it won't turn corners so I end up yankin the hose until it's sliding upside down.

Offline 17 Oaks

• US ARMY (RET)
BEG, they came out with that model around the same time or shortly after we bought these back in 2005.  Yeah, I would like that steam cycle, but I don't have it.  Maybe next time and if the pump and rollers keep going on these it'll be soon.  In all truth though...my washer and dryer run almost non stop.  They go from morning till night because of the amount of laundry I have to do, so I guess I shouldn't complain about them too much after all.  I'm not so easy on my appliances either...  We don't even want to talk about vacuums...I get in fights with mine when it won't turn corners so I end up yankin the hose until it's sliding upside down.
My wife has the steam on her Samsung and SHE LOVES IT!!!  IF you do that I highly recommend a filter setup (in line, see thru) and make sure you have it setup to filter both the washer and the drier water...
Don

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
I just bought a Roper dryer. It's huge and looks like it has good reviews.  It was cheap!

http://www.lowes.com/Appliances/Washers-Dryers/Roper/_/N-1z11pmlZ1z13zjp/pl?rpp=24&cm_mmc=search_msn-_-Appliances%20Washers%20Dryers-_-Washer%20and%20Dryer%20Roper-_-roper%20dryer&adlt=strict

I believe Roper is made by Whirlpool.  Glad you like that dryer, cuz if it is anything like mine, you will have it forever.  I got mine 7 years used, 11 years ago!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
I believe Roper is made by Whirlpool.  Glad you like that dryer, cuz if it is anything like mine, you will have it forever.  I got mine 7 years used, 11 years ago!

That is awesome news!!  I like it because it has this huge opening for the clothes.  It seems to dry fast too.  It was only 307.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Teri

• Banned
Well we did it.  Yesterday me and the hub went down to the appliance store and bought the Bosh with the black front.  We bought the better model with a better pump, quieter and has some pretty nice options.

We ended up paying about 1,100.00 that included tax and installation and removal of the old one.  That's only 300.00 more than we would have spent repairing the seven year old Meile, which I think was a good decision.  I think the Meile actually had something else wrong in the computer panel too since the salt light kept coming on too, so even if we had spent all of that money to repair it, didn't guarantee it would fix it, so it's getting kicked to the curb.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Whirlpool makes several different brands of  appliances. Kenmore, Maytag, Kitchen Aid, ad nauseum. I'm not sure why Kitchen Aid is so much better than the actual Whirlpool brand, but I swear by them. I suppose that they use better parts. Top of the line Kenmore can rival Kitchen Aid. I guess it all goes by the old adage, "You get what you pay for".
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline J P Sousa

Whirlpool makes several different brands of  appliances. Kenmore, Maytag, Kitchen Aid, ad nauseum. I'm not sure why Kitchen Aid is so much better than the actual Whirlpool brand, but I swear by them. I suppose that they use better parts. Top of the line Kenmore can rival Kitchen Aid. I guess it all goes by the old adage, "You get what you pay for".

Did you see my post #41 ?
http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,82782.0/msg,1021032.html

I only buy Whirlpool.

~John Wayne

Offline Teri

• Banned

I actually wanted another Kenmore, but the hubby insisted that the Bosh's were #1.  I'll have to ask him where he read that.  I just hope I can get at least ten years out of this one and I'll be happy.  Only seven years out of that high dollar Meile and with one problem after another with the control panel and the pump.

Kenmore was put in back in 1988 and was still working good when we replaced it 2005.  The only reason we had to replace it was the body of it rusted out and the seals were leaking around the door....  Seventeen years old and the dang thing was still chugging washing dishes...it was loud, but it worked good.  Almost makes me wanna cry.