Author Topic: Bonds, Clemens and Sosa all fall short of HOF  (Read 3547 times)

Offline BigTex

Bonds, Clemens and Sosa all fall short of HOF
« on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »
NEW YORK -- Steroid-tainted stars Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa were denied entry to baseball's Hall of Fame, with voters failing to elect any candidates for only the second time in four decades.

Bonds received just 36.2 percent of the vote, Clemens 37.6 and Sosa 12.5 in totals announced Wednesday by the Hall and the Baseball Writers' Association of America. They were appearing on the ballot for the first time and have up to 14 more years to make it to Cooperstown.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8828339/no-players-elected-baseball-hall-fame-writers

I hope they never make it
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Re: Bonds, Clemens and Sosa all fall short of HOF
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:56:57 PM »
Bonds & Clemens will eventually make it.

Biggio, Bagwell & Piazza deserve it, as have a few others on this year's ballot.  The steroid taint has affected everyone from that era.

Shall be interesting to see the voting over the next few years, especially with Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, P. Martinez, among others becoming eligible.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
Re: Bonds, Clemens and Sosa all fall short of HOF
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:04:12 PM »
I suppose that you could go with batting titles and such, but HoF? NO!!!! Performance enhancing drugs and the HoF do not mix.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
I suppose that you could go with batting titles and such, but HoF? NO!!!! Performance enhancing drugs and the HoF do not mix.

I'd rather see Pete Rose allowed in before them.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Re: Re: Re: Bonds, Clemens and Sosa all fall short of HOF
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:51:35 PM »

What about all the Hall of Famers who admittedly relied on illegal amphetamines?  Pitchers who admittedly doctored the baseball repeatedly?

Where does one draw the moral line?  I really have no answer.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »
I'd rather see Pete Rose allowed in before them.

His transgressions of gambling were not a factor when he was playing. That came after he retired; if he had not coached, he would be in the Hall.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:59:50 PM »
Biggio should have been in.  Ditto Morris.

As for the rest of them?  Eff 'em.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
His transgressions of gambling were not a factor when he was playing. That came after he retired; if he had not coached, he would be in the Hall.

I agree. No reason he shouldn't have been allowed in as a player.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 02:12:35 PM »
I agree. No reason he shouldn't have been allowed in as a player.

Problem is, he's not about to apologize to Selig.  No apology, no clearing the ban, no Cooperstown.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:40:40 PM »
I don't blog, but could write a doctoral type dissertation on the baseball Hall of Fame. Even involving everything before the current crap going on.

If y'all saw my bookshelf, you would see how many I own & care about the beautiful game of baseball.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
Problem is, he's not about to apologize to Selig.  No apology, no clearing the ban, no Cooperstown.

Plus he lied about it which did not help his cause either. He needs to eat a little humble pie. 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Re: Re: Re: Bonds, Clemens and Sosa all fall short of HOF
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »
Plus he lied about it which did not help his cause either. He needs to eat a little humble pie. 

F Selig!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
Bonds & Clemens will eventually make it.

Biggio, Bagwell & Piazza deserve it, as have a few others on this year's ballot.  The steroid taint has affected everyone from that era.

Shall be interesting to see the voting over the next few years, especially with Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, P. Martinez, among others becoming eligible.

Biggio maybe mext year.  Maddux definitely next year.  Maybe even Glavine.  Outside shot, and I mean outside, at Piazza next year.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.