Author Topic: Why did the messiah cross the road?  (Read 2319 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Why did the messiah cross the road?
« on: January 06, 2013, 05:11:40 PM »
To share a good joke.

The Bible spends a lot of ink assuring us that God is omniscient and omnipresent; except in 2 notable occassions: The entirety of the NT, particularly the opening chapter of St. John's gospel and the 3rd chapter of the book known as Genesis. In the latter instance humanity has just tasted of the forbidden when we are told God came walking through the cool of the morning calling to Adam.

Popular commentary says Adam had sinned (I reject that statement) and as such was hidden from the eyes of God even though the same commentators assure us later God is really omniscient. Others say it was God calling Adam to reprentence and that's all well and good but that ignores the fact that the supposedly equally omnipresent God was walking.

I think God, the sort of God described in Genesis and the NT would assume human form.

First, there is no sin in the human form. The creation of the human body was described as "good" a scant 2 chapters earlier.

Second, NOT being omniscient and omnipresent is likewise seen as serving a divine purpose as Jesus, whom St. John describes as the maker of all things, admitted that in regards to some things even he did not know.

But why?

Searching for leaf-trussed sinners and being crucified was not the orignal intent. Man was meant for communion with the Divine; to spend his everlasting days doing nothing in particular except enjoying the time.

We also know that it is written, "Does He who formed the eye not see? Does He who fashioned the ear not hear?"

I ask: Does He who made man to laugh not enjoy a good joke?

But humor is contingent upon not knowing the punchline. Omniscience would ruin that.

Is it too much to imagine Jesus sitting around with his disciples some nights enjoying a good laugh over dinner beside a campfire?

Likewise, is it too much to think that if this is the case that the day God walked through the garden looking for Adam was not the first time he had done so? And if he did so regularly it was to simply share a light-hearted moment? And in so doing he would diminish himself, assuming human form, setting aside omniscience to genuinely share an honest laugh with the friends he loved.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline MrsSmith

Re: Why did the messiah cross the road?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

He was in the beginning with God.

All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.

The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him.

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,

who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Jesus is God in man form.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »
Jesus is God in man form.

Yes, that's what I said.

What I was trying to puzzle-out was: Why?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:10:47 PM »
In Old Testament sacrifices sin was attoned through blood. It was a payment to God. You sacrifice a lamb for salvation everytime you sinned. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice so we didn't have to. God is a personal God. Speak and he will listen, ask and you will receive. I believe it was a way of humbling himself to show his people he cares. Much like how someone would take a bullet for someone they loved. Its almost like paying a debt. Because of the sin in the garden we kept paying and paying until Jesus came and died and raised again and paid for our salvation.

Its also very clear that God loves symbolism. Its an easy way for us to understand. which is why we have the parables. In Genesis 3:15 talks about the seed of the woman will tread on the head of the serpent and his heel shall be bruised. Jesus will offer salvation, but die in the process is what it's saying. Or when Moses strikes the rock the first time for water. Jesus is the rock of salvation through him we get everlasting water the bible tells us. But when Moses strikes the rock a second time he was supposed to speak to it. Romans 10 9that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

We can understand his ways a little better now. Which is why we have revelations and end time prophecy. Its a way of showing us the future and as it becomes true its just makes it a little easier for us to understand.

some food for thought.
When the 3 Angels went to Abraham and two left to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah some believe the third that stayed to commune with Abraham was Jesus.

When Moses tells God to kill him because God was going to leave his people Moses then asks to prove his love towards them and show him a sign. We know that God puts his hand on his face and walks by, and Moses only sees the back of him.

The 3 hebrew boys we learn that there is a forth do you think it was possible that it was Jesus? With the fire they probably wouldn't have seen him all that well. 

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 05:06:45 PM »
Curious, if Jesus was God then did he in pregnant his own mother to be born ?????

If Jesus was God just who was he speaking with and to whom so often in the NT?  Can one become their father and speak to who, themselves ???

If Jesus was God who was his Father in heaven ? Monotheistic belief just one God soon became a trinity 3 gods in one, never did understand that.

How do we put Jesus back into the old testament when he said or others said he came to change the old ways, if he was there then at that time he had to have been part of the old ways. He had to have gone along with the old ways at the time.

How Jesus got displaced into the Old Testament thousands of years before his birth is a mystery to me.

Just a few questions I had as a child and today.   We say God sacrificed his only begotten son, but did Jesus as God commit suicide for the sake of others when he refused to sell his precious oils to feed the poor ??

Jesus a interesting human that changed the world but not GOD.   A Son of GOD, but sons have fathers.

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
I can see Jesus and his disciples sitting around one night and Jesus saying, "Hey, guys, a Pharisee, a Sadducee, and a Roman walk into the Tabernacle..."

And vesta, the best way to think of the Triune God is marginal at best.

Think of Him as water. It comes in 3 forms...solid, liquid, and gas. But it is still water. May call it other things, but when you come down to it, it's still water.

As for the Immaculate Conception, and how it happened, I can sum it up in two words.

God Spoke.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »
I think 'sense of humor' is defined too restrictively and aside from that maybe when God is in eternity He is Omniscient but when he enters the world He is subject to the rules of the world as He set them up? And therefore could enjoy a good joke.

I remember a TV movie about Jesus from the early 80s showing him more playful and joking around with the apostles.

Even renaming Simon to Peter may have been a sort of joke as it is like giving someone the nickname of "Rocky" as Peter was supposed to be a very strong/buff guy but not always the quickest on the uptake.

And then he hung out with Matthew, a hedonistic tax collector. I'm sure there must have been some bawdy joking as Jesus and Matthew got to know each other.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey