Author Topic: No Eggs are NOT bad for your health...experts are usually idiots  (Read 6805 times)

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
No Eggs are NOT bad for your health...experts are usually idiots
« on: December 29, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »
I just saw the other thread on eggs being dangerous (trying to be more proactive in participating in areas I'm interested in besides the DUmmies & the Spa). I was going to reply in that thread but I got a big warning asking me if I really wanted to post in that thread since nothing had been posted in over 120 days...well, I kinda thought so. The little red warning suggested I might want to start a new topic...okay, anything bolded in red is probably advice I should follow.

So I went to my favorite health guru, Mark Sisson. This man is smart! He developed the recovery drink and nutrition bars for P90x so he's not a nutritional lightweight. And I follow his Primal Blueprint and it's made a tremendous difference in my life...weightlifting is easier and more effective, cardio & HIIT are easier and despite taking antidepressants it's easier to maintain my weight. I just feel 110% better. Giving up grains is probably the best thing I've ever done health wise. I do cheat and eat dairy (giving up pepper jack cheese is unimaginal). Anyway...

He explains the flaws in the study:  This is how they ran their "study"

They "...quizzed a group of middle-aged and elderly stroke patients about their lifelong egg intake and smoking history, making sure to stress the importance of accuracy and honesty in their answers. Yes, you heard me right: they expected people to remember every last egg they ever ate."

And, "Those who ate the most eggs were the oldest – almost 70 years old on average, compared to the relatively sprightly 55 year-old egg avoiders...Plaque doesn’t just snap into existence; it develops. All else being equal, the older you get, the more plaque you’ll have.

They did try to control for various factors but ignored waist size which does seem to predict atherosclerosis. At least the scientists admitted more studies need to be done. Being their usual hysterical selves, the media ran with it.

Confession: I have ties to the egg industry. I sell organic farm fresh eggs from free range hens...nothing like a farm fresh egg.

Cindie

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 05:15:15 PM by delilahmused »
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline ColonelCarrots

Re: No Eggs are NOT bad for your health...experts are usually idiots
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
If eggs were bad then Rocky wouldn't drink them raw.

Also I made green eggs for my little brother the other day. Never seen someone so surprised before.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »
I also support the eating of eggs.   :cheers mate: I personally think that the Low-Fat/Low cholesterol information that was pushed for so long has been one of the worst things to have affected our nation's health. 

Obesity rates didn't really start taking off until the 80's, which also just happens to correlate with the low-fat diets that started being pushed in the late 70's.  Prior to that, as far as I can tell, protein and fat was promoted as increasing satiety (which I believe is true). 

I like the idea of the primal diet, and I may start following it for the New Year, but I personally believe that everybody would benefit from a more naturally sourced diet.  Processed food is, in my opinion, one of the worst offenders when it comes to poor health.  Between that and the sedentary lifestyle of so many people, it is no wonder that we are turning into a country of unhealthy, obese people. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
They just need to change the definition of "obese".  Voilà, problem solved. O-)

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 08:01:46 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »
I like eggs. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
Me gustan los huevos.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Right and Proud

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 11:37:30 PM »
One of the best things about visiting my parents' small central Alabama farm is the FRESH EGGS for breakfast!  And even though there's not supposed to be any difference in taste, I can always tell the difference between brown-shell eggs and white-shell eggs. 

Normally, I work until around 4am (I'm a writer), and don't even bother with traditional breakfast food like bacon and eggs when I get up around noon.  But when I'm at the folks' place for summer vacations, when the incredibly lush Alabama fruit and vegetable crops are ready to eat, I happily get up at sunrise and enjoy my mother's incredible country cooking - which includes plenty of the scrambled eggs I'm practically addicted to.  Their free-range chickens, along with the half-dozen or so hogs, three goats and a milk cow they always have turn into some absolutely amazing eats (my folks give away lots of what they produce, and often get "gifts" - such as money - in return, if you know what I mean).  Add in ripe tomatoes right off the vine, and plenty of peaches, strawberries, blackberries and figs for dessert, and I always put on weight when I'm there.

I've heard stupid things like "a couple eggs a week probably won't hurt you" for years, but coming from a family that has been known to go through a dozen and a half eggs every day, day after day after week after month after month, I have to agree: No, a couple eggs a week is NOT going to hurt anyone!

This is a cool thread!  Unfortunately, though, the first two weeks of July are just over six months away, and now - after being reminded of how nice those Alabama trips are - those months are going to be even longer than they would have.  Oh well.

I'm one of the 250,000,000-plus Americans who did NOT vote for Obama.

"Conservative," by definition, means NOT EXTREME. Right-wing extremists are no more conservative than leftists are.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 03:10:06 AM »

Obesity rates didn't really start taking off until the 80's, which also just happens to correlate with the low-fat diets that started being pushed in the late 70's.  Prior to that, as far as I can tell, protein and fat was promoted as increasing satiety (which I believe is true). 

I'd pause here to note that the 80's was when western society started to become exponentially more sedentary. We cut back on physical activity and increased intake in the modern age of convenience. This reduced the amount of energy we burned at the same time as granting us more leisure time to consume more calories and more accessible , more affordable calories. 

Obesity is about far more than just diet - It's a whole-of-lifestyle thing. Poor diet coupled with sedentary living and you're pretty much guaranteed to pack on the pounds.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 08:07:57 AM »
I just shoveled the drive and paths to the critters and woodshed. Fed and watered the critters and ran a few loads of wood to the house. Now I'm gonna have 4 eggs, venison sausage and an english muffin!  Damn it!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 09:03:07 AM »
I just shoveled the drive and paths to the critters and woodshed. Fed and watered the critters and ran a few loads of wood to the house. Now I'm gonna have 4 eggs, venison sausage and an english muffin!  Damn it!

This was a conspiracy in my mind from the meat industry.

Eggs have the same protine as meat and better for you.  Difference was price.   A dozen eggs back then cost $60-80 cents.   Hamberger  back then at $1.20 a pound.   All meat was twice as expensive as eggs.

People on food stamps in that era used eggs every day to get their protine, people were not so over weight .

Along comes someone from the government to say that eggs were a danger if eaten more then twice a week.

Eggs are bad they said, eat more meat, all kinds of studys came out showing how eating meat, with its fat was better then eggs.

Bull Sh*t, all Bull.   Eggs are the perfect food, 10010 uses for them.   Only problem I have with eggs are that home grown eggs are so much larger then store bought one has to adjust their recipies that call for one egg to two.

Fresh laid eggs are wonderful, as they have a long storage time when you buy them at the market the sell by date is a month or more. Now I hear eggs kept refegerated will be OK for a few weeks beyond the sell by date.

For years we were told to eat meat not eggs, now we wonder about the explosion of obesity in our kids.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
I only eat eggs from my hens. I know what they eat and they have never been shot up with some shit the Govt says the must have in order to put then on the market! I cant even stomach the eggs that are bought in the stores! If eggs are not washed they will last for weeks without refrigeration. The eggs you buy in the store are months old when you buy them. The eggs I just enjoyed were still warm from the hen!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »
I only eat eggs from my hens. I know what they eat and they have never been shot up with some shit the Govt says the must have in order to put then on the market! I cant even stomach the eggs that are bought in the stores! If eggs are not washed they will last for weeks without refrigeration. The eggs you buy in the store are months old when you buy them. The eggs I just enjoyed were still warm from the hen!

Never ate an egg from a Rooster, Cats what do you do with the Rooster eggs ????---- :tongue:

BTW the Chicken feed on the farm came in these 50lb bags that had a list of additives that went down the bag. 

We free ranged the suckers unless there was snow on the ground.  I hated to feed the girls store bought feed but what can one do ???

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »
I'd pause here to note that the 80's was when western society started to become exponentially more sedentary. We cut back on physical activity and increased intake in the modern age of convenience. This reduced the amount of energy we burned at the same time as granting us more leisure time to consume more calories and more accessible , more affordable calories. 

Obesity is about far more than just diet - It's a whole-of-lifestyle thing. Poor diet coupled with sedentary living and you're pretty much guaranteed to pack on the pounds.

Oh, absolutely.  Fitness is a huge part of being healthy.  Activity also has a direct impact on cholesterol levels. 

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 12:33:33 PM »
Never ate an egg from a Rooster, Cats what do you do with the Rooster eggs ????---- :tongue:

BTW the Chicken feed on the farm came in these 50lb bags that had a list of additives that went down the bag. 

We free ranged the suckers unless there was snow on the ground.  I hated to feed the girls store bought feed but what can one do ???

They free range all summer but now they won't come out of the coop. I spend a little extra on organic feed from Green Mountain Feeds and get "garbage" produce from the local organic food stores.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline CG6468

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
I love chicken embryos!
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »
Oh, absolutely.  Fitness is a huge part of being healthy.  Activity also has a direct impact on cholesterol levels. 

I agree but you also see an increase in obesity when the government food police decided the food pyramid should be carb heavy. You'd think they'd understand the glycemic index. Health magazines urge people to "go meatless" at least once a week for better health (and to save the planet, of course). Humans are designed to eat meat. Very, very rarely I'll have toast made from wheat and grains (usually I eat paleo bread I make with almond and/or coconut flour) and every time I do I remember why I stopped eating it. I feel sluggish and brain fogged all day long. I notice since changing to  paleo/primal the quality of my workouts has increased and I'm able to build and maintain muscle better.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
They free range all summer but now they won't come out of the coop. I spend a little extra on organic feed from Green Mountain Feeds and get "garbage" produce from the local organic food stores.

Wow, my chickens love to come out regardless of weather. They're all waiting at the door in the morning. It's like pulling teeth to even get my geese and ducks in the coop at night. They have their trees and other areas they love for shelter. If it's raining heavy they'll spend most of their day there but light rain or snow and they're out scratching. Because I also let my goats out in the same area, I pick my chicken's food up during the day. That's probably one of the reasons they spend a good portion of their day hunting and pecking.

Cindie
Mick Foley

Hedy Lamarr

Morticia Addams

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 04:22:57 AM »
Wow, my chickens love to come out regardless of weather. They're all waiting at the door in the morning. It's like pulling teeth to even get my geese and ducks in the coop at night. They have their trees and other areas they love for shelter. If it's raining heavy they'll spend most of their day there but light rain or snow and they're out scratching. Because I also let my goats out in the same area, I pick my chicken's food up during the day. That's probably one of the reasons they spend a good portion of their day hunting and pecking.

Cindie
We have about 14" of snow on the ground with a hard crust! They come out look at it and scratch a little and back in they go!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline cmypay

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »

Cindie

So nice to see so many others raising chickens and ducks! Our ducks LOVE to play in the rain; they almost never go in their house. At night, they often bed down outside next to said house. Now that it's winter, the chickens and ducks are staying in the coops more, but still come out some. We do see a dramatic decrease in egg production over the winter months.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »

So nice to see so many others raising chickens and ducks! Our ducks LOVE to play in the rain; they almost never go in their house. At night, they often bed down outside next to said house. Now that it's winter, the chickens and ducks are staying in the coops more, but still come out some. We do see a dramatic decrease in egg production over the winter months.

I find that if I buy my chickens in staggered groups at different times (I get my last ones in early fall) I get a decent amount of eggs in the winter. I never use artificial light as I think they should live their lives with their natural cycles.

What's really weird is, I have 4 Toulouse Geese and have yet to see them lay eggs or even get a bit frisky. They just turned one year old this fall and some wait until spring so maybe then. It's highly unlikely they'd all be the same sex. Geese bury their eggs sometimes but I'd at least see some mating. I have a large farm pond and the geese have been down there but they actually prefer their kiddie pool.

My Muscovies spend a good portion of their day in the pond. Daphne sat on eggs this year but none hatched. She's still laying every once in a while which is great because duck eggs are wonderful for baking. My poor hens though, when she's setting Diego tries to mount the hens, chases them unmercifully. They're the sweetest ducks I've ever had. Pretty damned smart too.

Cindie
Mick Foley

Hedy Lamarr

Morticia Addams

Offline cmypay

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »
We had to separate our ducks and chickens because our rooster kept attacking the younger ducks. Once we put a fence between them, all is well. We had an India Runner actually hatch out an egg this summer, which was a surprise. We have a female mallard that sets on hers and the India just followed right along. The rest of the Indias just leg their eggs wherever, they don't even bother building nests. We are still getting 3 or 4 duck eggs a week, but around 1 1/2 to 2 dozen chicken eggs. Plenty for us, just not enough for sharing.