Author Topic: Outdoor Cooking  (Read 5227 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Outdoor Cooking
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:30:52 PM »
Inspired by a question Mr Mann asked in this thread , I thought this was a somewhat useful thing to have it's own discussion about.

I do a variety or outdoor activities - mostly vehicle based these days, but occasionally on foot and try to keep the same techniques and recipes from the home kitchen to the camp kitchen. The only real caveat being that a fire takes a lot more practice with regard to temperature control than a stove. A proper gas camp stove performs exactly the same as a regular indoor gas stove or BBQ/ gas grill.

When I'm travelling on foot , I try to carry simple foods that can be eaten as-is or prepared by basically adding boiling water or heating in the bag.

To this end I have 2 of the square aluminium pans with folding handles and a aluminium cup with folding handle that nests with a water bottle. One can boil water simply enough and still be able to cook something like fish or other forage meats in the pans as well as heat a bag meal . 

The heat source is a small open fire from whatever wood is on hand. Keep a wire saw and a hatchet ( SOG make a nice one) in your kit for this end. 

I still keep a box of the solid fuel tablets on hand to assist starting fires in inclement weather, like when it has been pissing down rain all day. Hand sanitizer works at a pinch but has significantly less calorific value.

Vehicle Supported operations get far more fancy.

Road meals and overnight camps in remote areas I'll light a small fire and heat up the big dutch oven on the coals. Can easily cook bacon , eggs , steaks and etc in there as per normal. The oven will cool down enough while you're eating to pack away into the vehicle. In other places where a fire is unsuitable set up a 2 burner gas stove with or without a plate grill for food as it's good enough to cook nearly anything and works the same as at home. I have one of the single burner canister stoves for boiling water. All cast iron cookware pans or the grill plate for main meals and a couple of aluminium billycans with lids for boiling water / making rice / etc.

Long term - several day or longer camp I'll start off by building a nice big firepit set up a freestanding grill plate over it. Then a tripod for hanging billycans and small dutch ovens over the heat. Several different size dutch ovens cover cooking nearly anything from cakes and bread , through stews and roasts. Still set up the gas stove for convenience - making coffee and etc. The fire is also the waste disposal and everything except glass going in there. A neat way to use a dutch oven is to dig a hole large enough to contain the entire oven and line the bottom with a few shovel loads of coals from the fire. Drop the hot and loaded oven in there and cover the lid with another shovel full of coals - check every while and add more coals if required.

Back when I was starting out and lacked facilities (bear in mind that I've been building my collection of outdoor equipment for nearly 20 years) we'd eat from cans and packets and have fairly uncivilised and rough camps. Which is all good when you're 15-21. As time progressed and equipment was acquired it reaches the point where you can prepare and cook the same meals you would at home with fresh or semi-fresh ingredients in a efficient manner while still being in the great outdoors.

Offline catsmtrods

Re: Outdoor Cooking
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:23:37 AM »
From a vehicle nothing beats a dutch oven. On foot nothing beats aluminum foil and I carry my pocket kitchen. It contains every thing I need to cook a gourmet meal out of anything I can kill. When I get more time I will photo it for ya all. Maybe when I get home tonight.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
From a vehicle nothing beats a dutch oven. On foot nothing beats aluminum foil and I carry my pocket kitchen. It contains every thing I need to cook a gourmet meal out of anything I can kill. When I get more time I will photo it for ya all. Maybe when I get home tonight.

Got a dutch oven for Christmas, do you have any good recipes?

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »

This is way easy and good! I did try it camping once with the dutch oven that holds coals on the lid and it turned out OK.

http://youtu.be/13Ah9ES2yTU

"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
My son didn't have a grill so he dug a rectangular hole on the ground, poured in his coal and wood chips, lit them, he laid a wire grill rack over to top of the hole and set rocks around it to help hold in the heat. It worked great.

It impressed me, but you guys probably already knew this trick.
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »

I get a well seasoned oven nice and hot - add some oil and brown a whole , well seasoned chicken in there. Remove the chicken and drop in your trivet and a packet of chicken noodle soup mixed up with water. Put the lid on the camp oven and cook in a hole over and under coals for 45 minutes / hour depending on the size of the bird. Remove the camp oven from heat , flip the chicken , deglaze oven with water , add chopped seasoned roastin' vegetables and return to the hole with fresh coals under and over. Cook until vegetables are done.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »
Just so y'all know I'm gonna watch this thread like a hawk.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »
Build a fire, put thin green twig in end of hotdog, cook hotdog over fire.

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 11:47:34 PM »
I get a well seasoned oven nice and hot - add some oil and brown a whole , well seasoned chicken in there. Remove the chicken and drop in your trivet and a packet of chicken noodle soup mixed up with water. Put the lid on the camp oven and cook in a hole over and under coals for 45 minutes / hour depending on the size of the bird. Remove the camp oven from heat , flip the chicken , deglaze oven with water , add chopped seasoned roastin' vegetables and return to the hole with fresh coals under and over. Cook until vegetables are done.

Thank you.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »
Build a fire, put thin green twig in end of hotdog, cook hotdog over fire.

That's my idea of camp cooking :).

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
That's my idea of camp cooking :).

That was what my family did when we went fishing when I was very young.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 12:46:50 AM »
That was what my family did when we went fishing when I was very young.

We used wire hangers.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 02:27:04 AM »
On the last day of a trip - We'll often cook up a breakfast of "remains" . Basically the remaining food in the coolers and fridges.

Usually bacon , onions , potatos , steaks , baked beans and eggs.

Chop all ingredients and fry in a large camp oven with a dash of oil - starting with the bacon and onion , then the steak and potatos , then the eggs (beaten with salt , pepper and milk) and finally the baked beans when the rest is nearly done. Remember to add plenty of garlic.

Serve on toast.

Be warned - drive with the windows open after eating.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 12:04:50 AM »
We eat "gourmet" while backpacking. Trout in a frying pan with garlic salt and bacon grease. A pot of Black Beans and Rice, doesn't matter which brand, with onions and bell pepper on top, not mixed in.
 Yes, aluminum foil is your friend.

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »
I do the trout in the foil also. In the spring around here there are also a lot of leeks stream-side. :drool:

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.