Author Topic: TW:Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai Review w/ Pics!  (Read 3742 times)

Offline ColonelCarrots

TW:Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai Review w/ Pics!
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »
Total War: Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai takes place in 1964 during the Boshin War. Japan is divided with clans wanting to support the last shogunate or support the Emperor and create an imperial nation.

You have two options. If your people fear modernization you can use traditional Japanese warfare and technology to fight your battles. With modernization they use more common weapons and techniques of the Western Civilizations. You can ally yourself with the US, England, or France. You can build a railway system through out your territories and fast travel across islands. You can even use more modern ships like the ironclads.

The combat system is a mixture of Empire: Total War and Shogun 2 vanilla. You can create huge armies of musket rifle carrying troops with some of the traditional troops of Japanese army. The classic flintlock guns of the 18th century are long gone, but civil war era cartridges make your troops reload faster and battles are much quicker. Its much easier to cut down charging melee infantry now. You can now bombard off shore with your navy. Its an effective way to cut down enemy forces while your army is still on the march. I bombarded a town on the campaign screen before attacking and it destroyed the gates for me and parts of the wall before I even started the battle. Made it much easier to assault the fort.

The turn system of the grand campaign changed as well. Instead of each turn being one season. Each season is now six turns. The campaign map also became larger with the addition of Ezo the northern island.

There are more specialty units similar to the Ninja or Geisha. There are foreign advisers that can help you manage your settlements and make your upkeep or recruitment costs cheaper. Some may even follow your army everywhere and offer bonuses such as more ammo, better accuracy, and more experience gain.

As far as graphics nothing has changed. The game still looks beautiful and doesn't look outdated in one bit.

Some other thoughts: Game difficulty on normal is still challenging, but not punishing. Game is a little more fast paced than the other Total War games. Shogun has really set a precedent for RTS games in its more advanced AI, i.e. they don't know where your units are hidden if they're hidden in trees or behind a hill.

Hyuga spearmen charging into my line infantry.

Hyuga spearmen retreating from my line infantry only seconds later.

First large battle of about 1800vs1500 soldiers. My army survived with 1200 soldiers still intact. We suffered about 600 deaths due to the fact they were mostly militia.

Guy wallowing in his own blood after he had been shot. Never noticed it before.

Offline ColonelCarrots

Re: TW:Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai Review w/ Pics!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
Feel free to ask any questions.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »
Feel free to ask any questions.

If a fly is going to land on the ceiling how close does it have to get before it turns upside-down?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
If a fly is going to land on the ceiling how close does it have to get before it turns upside-down?
What kind of fly?

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 10:26:47 AM »
Currently in a depression making only 300 gold a turn. My army has gotten so large since I'm against three clans. I've resorted to bribing armies to join me. I've had to start looting recently captured territories to pay for reinforcements, repairs, and bribes. Because of that I've had rebellions and had to create an auxiliary army to stay behind and stamp out the rebels. The three clans won't accept my offers of peace.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »
Decided to get this via Steam...for $20 you get the game and 4 DLC packs for it.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe