Author Topic: 10 Years of BCS Champions (Ranking the Champions)  (Read 12076 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: 10 Years of BCS Champions (Ranking the Champions)
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 02:55:01 PM »
Five, I think. But there is a little more to "storied history" than NC wins. Including All Americans, Heisman Trophy winners, Two time Heisman Trophy winners (lol), future NFL greats, HOF coaches, playing spoiler to would be NC teams, "classic" games from history, Rose Bowl wins (back when it meant something else), BCS wins, being one half of the biggest, badest, greatest rivalry in all of sports history... etc etc.

The U has done all that in a quarter the time.  Far my money the biggest, baddest rivalry is Auburn - Alabama.  And I don't like either one.

I'd put Army-Navy at the top.  There are several I'd put ahead of Mich-OSU, including Texas-OU, USC-UCLA, Mich-ND, and a few others.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 05:36:30 PM »
Five, I think. But there is a little more to "storied history" than NC wins. Including All Americans, Heisman Trophy winners, Two time Heisman Trophy winners (lol), future NFL greats, HOF coaches, playing spoiler to would be NC teams, "classic" games from history, Rose Bowl wins (back when it meant something else), BCS wins, being one half of the biggest, badest, greatest rivalry in all of sports history... etc etc.

The U has done all that in a quarter the time.  Far my money the biggest, baddest rivalry is Auburn - Alabama.  And I don't like either one.

I'd put Army-Navy at the top.  There are several I'd put ahead of Mich-OSU, including Texas-OU, USC-UCLA, Mich-ND, and a few others.

Just damn. LOL

I'd put Red Sox vs. Yankees over all of Texas-OU, USC-UCLA and Michigan-ND and baseball blows.  :lmao:

I'd also put North Carolina vs. Duke ahead of any of those too.

Learn your history people! Or be doomed to er, well, no no... nevermind, that dosen't work.  :p
1. Michigan vs. Ohio State
When Ohio Stadium opened in 1922, Michigan spoiled the party with a 22-0 victory. The rivalry was heated in the early days as both have been long-time college football powers. But it got even hotter in 1969, when Bo Schembechler took over as Michigan's coach and upset Woody Hayes' No. 1-ranked, undefeated Buckeyes. Four times in the next six years, both teams were ranked in the top five when they met. In 1970 and 1973, both were undefeated (they tied 10-10 in '73). From 1970 through 1975, Michigan entered without a loss every year. The Wolverines won just once. Ohio State was 9-0-1 in 1993, 11-0 in 1995 and 10-0 in 1996. The Buckeyes lost each time. That is rivalry.

Found it on the webs. It has to be true!  :tongue:
http://espn.go.com/endofcentury/s/other/bestrivalries.html

One of my favorites is Indiana vs Purdue. Big history, lot's of attention every year. (in Indiana) Gene Keady was the only Big 10 coach with a winning record verses Bobby Knight! HOWEVER, loyalites aside, I know better than to put that rivalry up amoung the best of all time. sheesh.

On edit:
http://library.osu.edu/sites/archives/OSUvsMichigan/osuvsmichigan.htm

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 05:53:19 PM by ReardenSteel »
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 06:23:10 PM »
I only like to edit so much, but just as a correction tOSU did not win 5 championships. They won seven. (1942, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1968, 1970 and 2002) (*this years pending, so really it's eight, lol)

Five former Ohio State head coaches have been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. (Howard Jones, John Wilce, Francis Schmidt, Woody Hayes, and Earle Bruce) (Jim Tressel pending)

Archie Griffin is the first (only?) two time Heisman trophy winner. (1974 and 1975) Also Les Horvath (1944), Vic Janowicz (1950), Howard “Hopalong” Cassady (1955), Eddie George (1995), and Troy Smith (2006) were Buckeye winners.

Big Ten Titles:1916, 1917, 1920, 1935, 1939, 1942, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1957, 1961, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 08:27:09 PM »

Learn your history people! Or be doomed to er, well, no no... nevermind, that dosen't work.  :p
When Ohio Stadium opened in 1922, Michigan spoiled the party with a 22-0 victory. The rivalry was heated in the early days as both have been long-time college football powers. But it got even hotter in 1969, when Bo Schembechler took over as Michigan's coach and upset Woody Hayes' No. 1-ranked, undefeated Buckeyes. Four times in the next six years, both teams were ranked in the top five when they met. In 1970 and 1973, both were undefeated (they tied 10-10 in '73). From 1970 through 1975, Michigan entered without a loss every year. The Wolverines won just once. Ohio State was 9-0-1 in 1993, 11-0 in 1995 and 10-0 in 1996. The Buckeyes lost each time. That is rivalry.

WTF is this?

10 we wish still existed 

4. Texas vs. Oklahoma
This football border war was a classic from the '50s through the mid-'80s.

This game has sent the winner to the national title game 5 out of the past 8 years.

BTW, yes the Michigan vs. OSU game is very important...it determines which team of yankees gets to lose to a Southern team.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 10:23:45 PM »

WTF is this?

10 we wish still existed 

4. Texas vs. Oklahoma
This football border war was a classic from the '50s through the mid-'80s.

This game has sent the winner to the national title game 5 out of the past 8 years.

BTW, yes the Michigan vs. OSU game is very important...it determines which team of yankees gets to lose to a Southern team.

That's damn impressive, even if it is "just" 4 of the past 8 years with 2 wins. (with a win this season tOSU will accomplish that all by themselves of course) And the Red River shootout is a hella rivalry IMHO. I watch it over Auburn v Alabama for sure, but I went to grade school in Altus, OK and the ReardenSteel clan still has family friends there from church.

Also, fwiw, the ESPN link I provided is total crap. Besides nailing numero uno the rest of the thing is garbage.  :uhsure:

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 11:38:04 PM »
Big Ten Titles:1916, 1917, 1920, 1935, 1939, 1942, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1957, 1961, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007

Um, Big 10 titles don't hold much water. If they were in the SEC, you could subtract about 2/3rd of those. ....and yes, I'm talking about "back then" also.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 11:52:29 PM »

That's damn impressive, even if it is "just" 4 of the past 8 years with 2 wins. (with a win this season tOSU will accomplish that all by themselves of course)

Whoops! I think I might of accidently snuck that sacrificial '01 Nebraska team in there.

Also, fwiw, the ESPN link I provided is total crap. Besides nailing numero uno the rest of the thing is garbage.  :uhsure:

Now you are talkin' sense!

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 11:56:20 PM »
How long will it be before tOSU is competing for the D-IAA title?  :stirpot:

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »

Um, Big 10 titles don't hold much water. If they were in the SEC, you could subtract about 2/3rd of those. ....and yes, I'm talking about "back then" also.

Dude. Have a second glance at "back then".
Big 10 National Championships (28) - SEC National Championships (24)

I thought this thing all got started because we were talking about an "historic" program (tOSU) and the claim that Miami (of all teams) claimed to equal the Buckeyes in 100+years of accomplishments just during the last 25 years. LOL

Are we now onto just general smack talk and what not? That's kinda where I'm going and where I have the most fun. (the whole "my dad could beat up your dadness" of football debate) Half of the geratness of college football, for me and many others, is the traditions. The fun of that comes from the fact that college football history is a cluster-frak of unknowables, competing claims, dual champions and etc etc.

This much I do know...

- The SEC is the top dog lately and has great teams and good history and traditions.

- Ohio State can stand eye to eye with anyone in college football lore and crushes most.

Also, it's not tOSU's fault that the Big 10 has been teetering for some time now. (anymore than it's the Patriots fault that they play warm crap in the AFC East) Scheduels are made years in advance and at least the Buckeye's have been looking elsewhere and the Big 10 declines. Of late they swapped games with Texas, have another two year exchange with USC starting this year and have another with Tennessee after that. (to answer Rebel's "stiring the pot" dig) H5 for that Reb, lol. Bitch-slaps are for Bitches.

:-)

Also, fwiw, the ESPN link I provided is total crap. Besides nailing numero uno the rest of the thing is garbage. 

Now you are talkin' sense!

Dude. Tell me that list didn't crack you up!  :lmao:

Now, back to the thread. Fark all your teams but mine.  :evillaugh:

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »

Got a link? I would assume some of those 28 NCs were shared. I know Ole Miss shared one with Minnesota in 1960.

A lot of SEC/Big-10 shares. http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

...and you'll have to excuse my haterism for the Big-11, PAC-10, and other conferences that don't have a conference championship whereas the SEC, ACC, and Big-12 have one extra game to play...that does count in the ratings. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 02:54:06 PM by Rebel »

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »

Got a link? I would assume some of those 28 NCs were shared. I know Ole Miss shared one with Minnesota in 1960.

A lot of SEC/Big-10 shares. http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

...and you'll have to excuse my haterism for the Big-11, PAC-10, and other conferences that don't have a conference championship whereas the SEC, ACC, and Big-12 have one extra game to play...that does count in the ratings. 

Yea man. It's wacky city in the history books. One of my favorites is the shared title of Notre Dame and Alabama in 1973. Bama was 11-1, ND was 11-0. Bama's one loss... to ND in the Sugar Bowl, LOL.

Your haterism is excused. It's way unfair the way that extra game with its extra time together on the field and extra millions of dollars for the schools got shoved down their throats. They ought to be sitting on their butts for two months before the bowl games start so they can be, you know, fresh and all.
 :lmao:

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 03:20:08 PM »
Yea man. It's wacky city in the history books. One of my favorites is the shared title of Notre Dame and Alabama in 1973. Bama was 11-1, ND was 11-0. Bama's one loss... to ND in the Sugar Bowl, LOL.

Yeah, in that case, I would have to say the non-Big-11 school, Notre Dame, was the National Champion.  :-)

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 03:36:01 PM »

Yeah, in that case, I would have to say the non-Big-11 school, Notre Dame, was the National Champion.  :-)

For what it's worth, I'd be cool with ND joining the Big 10(11 going on 12) and going to a tourney system. Or better yet, stealing the WVU Mountaineers instead.

However I'll go either way because I enjoy arguing about football almost as much as watching it.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 03:55:51 PM »
For what it's worth, I'd be cool with ND joining the Big 10(11 going on 12) and going to a tourney system. Or better yet, stealing the WVU Mountaineers instead.

However I'll go either way because I enjoy arguing about football almost as much as watching it.

I think you'd have to assassinate some people at the Big East before you could ever get WVU. There's no way in hell they'll let their most consistent power house go.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 04:11:53 PM »

I think you'd have to assassinate some people at the Big East before you could ever get WVU. There's no way in hell they'll let their most consistent power house go.

True that, lol. Although, the conferences to get changed around too much IMHO. Part of what makes comparing histories impossible. For example the Big 10 "championships" above did not even count MSU's one or Penn State's 4 all "earned" (achieved?) before they joined the Big-gest 10.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 04:13:59 PM »
True that, lol. Although, the conferences to get changed around too much IMHO. Part of what makes comparing histories impossible. For example the Big 10 "championships" above did not even count MSU's one or Penn State's 4 all "earned" (achieved?) before they joined the Big-gest 10.

Well, the Strongest Eastern Conference has been pretty consistent, aside from losing Tulane and GT, but we picked up Arkansas from the SWC debacle.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »
Just damn. LOL

I'd put Red Sox vs. Yankees over all of Texas-OU, USC-UCLA and Michigan-ND and baseball blows.  :lmao:

I'd also put North Carolina vs. Duke ahead of any of those too.

This is all just opinions.  Besides, we're talking college football rivalries, not other sports.

I would expect Michigan and OSU fans to believe their game is the biggest rivalry, but that doesn't make it so except to them.  No one's going to agree on what is and isn't the biggest college football rivalry.  I say it's Army-Navy.  If no one else agrees, what do I really care?  I have my reasons for it, no one else has to agree.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 08:47:58 PM »
LSU is the only team on that list to have won 2 championships. I thought they had a good chance to repeat but the most heralded QB has been kicked off the team for constantly getting trouble with the pollice. Perrileau was the most sought after high school QB 2 years ago. He better get his head out of his ass or he will playing football in prison. 

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 08:55:20 PM »
LSU is the only team on that list to have won 2 championships.

Um, huh?

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »
LSU is the only team on that list to have won 2 championships.

Um, huh?

I think he means over the past 10 years, but, USC also won 2, according to the AP (I hate that dual-champion too, but, there it is).