Author Topic: No Name Steaks  (Read 4879 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
No Name Steaks
« on: December 02, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »
Okay, in my quest to try esoteric chow, I picked up a 27-ounce package of No Name Steakhouse Burgers.

It's apparently real beef.

The company's in Minnesota.

http://www.nonamesteaks.com/

Anybody ever try these; I'm nervous about them because usually professional cooks do a bang-up job preparing my hamburgers, but myself, not so well unless on a charcoal grill outdoors in the summer.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
Re: No Name Steaks
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Okay, in my quest to try esoteric chow, I picked up a 27-ounce package of No Name Steakhouse Burgers.

Anybody ever try these; I'm nervous about them because usually professional cooks do a bang-up job preparing my hamburgers, but myself, not so well unless on a charcoal grill outdoors in the summer.

The story of their company is inspiring; a real family story about an American entrepreneur.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 05:22:07 PM »
The story of their company is inspiring; a real family story about an American entrepreneur.

I just tried one; there's lots in the box.

It was okay, nothing to write home about.

I had to cook it longer than it says one has to.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 05:28:25 PM »
I just tried one; there's lots in the box.

It was okay, nothing to write home about.

I had to cook it longer than it says one has to.

Coach, when you get right down to it, it's a hamburger. If it's made of beef, tastes like a hamburger, and doesn't kill you, it did its job.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:00:42 PM »
Coach, when you get right down to it, it's a hamburger. If it's made of beef, tastes like a hamburger, and doesn't kill you, it did its job.

True, but I think I'll stick with what's made at the local VFW club, or by the Norwegian cook whose specialty is Italian cuisine, at the bar in town.

It wasn't bad, but it took a very long time to cook (25 minutes) (from frozen state, I must add, to be fair), and a tad bit rubbery (not offensively so, but it was there).  It has spices in it too, for whatever that's worth.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »
True, but I think I'll stick with what's made at the local VFW club, or by the Norwegian cook whose specialty is Italian cuisine, at the bar in town.

It wasn't bad, but it took a very long time to cook (25 minutes) (from frozen state, I must add, to be fair), and a tad bit rubbery (not offensively so, but it was there).  It has spices in it too, for whatever that's worth.

The VFW will appreciate your continued patronage.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:38:51 AM »
Many times those "cheap" burgers have a few different parts in them. Allot use beef heart and other.............things. I don't care for them.

Look on the package and it will usually list whats in it.

The only good ones are the Kirkland burgers from Costco.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Dori

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »

I defrost my frozen Costco burgers in the micro for one minute before cooking on the stove or grill, makes the cooking go a lot faster.  The problem with pressed burger patties is that there is no air in them.  That was a tip from a burger cafe owner. 
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:21:26 AM »
I've had the "no name steaks" at a promotion at a local store back in IL.

They were very good and I ended up with a box at a very reduced cost.

I enjoyed them.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »
One of my ex family members knew someone who worked at the NoName Steak facility. Had them quite often. Never had the hamburgers, but the steaks were pretty good for the price. Not great, by any means, but good.

I defrost my frozen Costco burgers in the micro for one minute before cooking on the stove or grill, makes the cooking go a lot faster.  The problem with pressed burger patties is that there is no air in them.  That was a tip from a burger cafe owner. 

I've done & continue to do this. It works quite well.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:34:13 PM »

I looked at the site. Pass, due to cost.

One thing I do is go to the discount area of the meat department at our SaveMart (Albertson's). I find New York's (bone in) with $3.00 off coupons on them. I'll usually pick up steaks for around 4-5 dollars that were close to ten. They also have a "Pick 5 for 25" promo going on. My wife grabs the highest priced packages with the 5 for 25 on them. Last time she got several that were package priced at nearly 10 bucks ea. And, no, they don't inflate the prices. You can easily compare them to others. I think what's driving this is they are tossing allot of beef/chicken/pork because of the high prices.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline tac

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »
I'll pass also, but not because of the cost, which I didn't even check. I looked at the nutrition information, Pecan Crusted Chicken Breast and 1 (one) breast has 1010mg sodium! That alone is a deal breaker for me!
When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

The more laws, the less justice.
Marcus Tullius Cicero