Author Topic: SEC vs. ND  (Read 17801 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: SEC vs. ND
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 06:26:24 AM »
Considering that Bama just beat THE DOUBLE DIGIT SPREAD by DOUBLE DIGITS, I stand by my statement that Notre Dame is the MOST overrated college football team of 2012.

No, I give that designation to USC.  Preseason #1 to a 7-7 season, unranked, and loss to 6-7 Georgia Tech in the "I Give A Shit Bowl."
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:22 AM »
No, I give that designation to USC.  Preseason #1 to a 7-7 season, unranked, and loss to 6-7 Georgia Tech in the "I Give A Shit Bowl."

Yep. GT had to basically beg just to get into a bowl with a losing record.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 07:50:39 AM »

You do have a point, but I'll have to agree to disagree. Mostly it's just out of spite and hatred of ND and their little carve-outs and special rules.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 08:07:16 AM »
Yep. GT had to basically beg just to get into a bowl with a losing record.

I went to GT, and even I can't justify a bowl bid with that record.

Frankly, the bowl season has gotten completely out of hand.  If you're not in the Top 25, you shouldn't get a bowl bid.  PERIOD.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »
Well, that was a butt kicking.

My wife is from Birmingham and a big Bama fan so she was worried.  See, that's what happens when you're our age and remember when ND used to be competitive; you worry that by some magic it will reappear.  Then the game starts and you realize they aren't what they used to be in the 60's, 70's and 80's, not even close.

Roll Tide!!

GO SEC!!!!

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 09:08:20 AM »
Well, congratulations to Alabama.

Bear Bryant, the best coach in the history of college football, lives.

By the way, apparently Alabama now joins Nebraska as the only two teams that won three national championships in four years.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »
To my friend cclanofirish:

Here's what I've said about ND football the last 15+ years, and I'll say it here again:

--  They need to decide what they want to be. --

For some reason, they decided a few years ago that they wanted their football players to also be up to the academic standards of the university.  Well guess what?  Football players are as dumb as dumb can be many times.  Everyone knows this.  You see, you don't care if Bobby Joe and Leroy can spell their own name, you just want them to throw, run, catch, and pile-drive the opposition into the ground.  ND decided they didn't want that anymore.

ND practically invented recruiting.  One reason back in the 40's and 50's they had the best teams was because they had every stinkin' Catholic priest in the USA keeping an eye out for the local talent.  Father O'Malley would see someone on the local high school team who could run like the wind and they call up ND, "Hey, you need to come and look at this guy."  The only situation better than that was the Army teams of the mid to late 40's where if they wanted a player on their team, they drafted him into the service.  Wal-la, you're coming to West Point and playing football, son.

So they have the alumni, they know how to network and get the players, they just need to drop this stupid "academic standards" crap and get the players they need.  My question is will they?  Because if they don't, they're missing out on a lot of blue-chip players they could easily get, but they won't, and I don't care how good the coach is.  Lou Holtz wouldn't have won the NC he did there if he couldn't have recruited the dumb football players that made up that team.

So, they need to decide what they want to be; an academic university that fields a pretty good football team, or an academic university that has special classes so they can field an excellent football team.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:16:43 AM by USA4ME »

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:54 AM »
Well, congratulations to Alabama.

Bear Bryant, the best coach in the history of college football, lives.

By the way, apparently Alabama now joins Nebraska as the only two teams that won three national championships in four years.

ND did it back in the late 40's, but those 3 are it.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »
This year and last years game is why they need a playoff system in college, so shit teams like ND, LSU, and Ohio would never make it to the big game.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »
This year and last years game is why they need a playoff system in college, so shit teams like ND, LSU, and Ohio would never make it to the big game.

Who is your shit team. Betcha if they are in the SEC, LSU has beaten them.

You want a 4 team playoff system. When your team does not make it will you be crying for a 8 or 16 team playoff system?????????
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:40:49 PM by Lacarnut »

Offline BigTex

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 01:40:13 AM »

what are you talking about? LSU beat Alabama in the regular season.They would have easily beaten Stanford in a semifinal to get to the championship
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2013, 03:30:44 AM »
Who is your shit team. Betcha if they are in the SEC, LSU has beaten them.

You want a 4 team playoff system. When your team does not make it will you be crying for a 8 or 16 team playoff system?????????

Actually there will be a 4 team playoff system beginning in 2014.  I think it needs to be more myself and has nothing to do with my shit SEC team, which is shit at the moment.  They wouldn't have made in a 48 team play off system.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2013, 03:32:15 AM »
what are you talking about? LSU beat Alabama in the regular season.They would have easily beaten Stanford in a semifinal to get to the championship

Maybe, maybe not...  There have been several wildcard teams that won the Superbowl.

-Milton Friedman

Offline BigTex

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2013, 04:14:43 AM »
Maybe, maybe not...  There have been several wildcard teams that won the Superbowl.

College football is not the NFL, the saying is any given Sunday and not any given Saturday for a reason.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2013, 07:53:42 AM »

But couldn't manage to pull it off against Clemson?  I dunno, maybe LSU last season but not this year.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2013, 07:54:29 AM »
College football is not the NFL, the saying is any given Sunday and not any given Saturday for a reason.

What do you mean?  College is much more volatile than the pros.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »

What reason might that be?  That makes no sense.  It is any given Saturday... Texas A&M proved that.

-Milton Friedman

Offline BigTex

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »
What do you mean?  College is much more volatile than the pros.

The 32nd team in the NFL can beat the 1st team in the NFL in any given game, the 123rd (or whatever we are up to now) could never even be competitive with the #1 team in college football.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
What reason might that be?  That makes no sense.  It is any given Saturday... Texas A&M proved that.

The #5 team with the Heisman winner beat the #1 team thats not exactly a huge upset.

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »
The 32nd team in the NFL can beat the 1st team in the NFL in any given game, the 123rd (or whatever we are up to now) could never even be competitive with the #1 team in college football.

Well you are being a little far fetched.  I don't think me or anyone else in the whole world thinks that.  But the number 10 or 5 team in the NCAA can.  Did not A&M prove that?

And maybe we need to look at why that is, how come they can in basketball but not football?  Maybe this would change with a play off system?  Look at the NCAA basketball playoffs... Small schools such as Memphis go all the way.

-Milton Friedman

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2013, 11:36:09 AM »
First off, the ranking system in Div I is much more subjective than that of the NFL "power rankings". 

USC this year proved that.  How many preseason number 1 teams are still there at the end of the year?  Or even close?

The major reason behind that is player turnover.  While the average NFL career is just over 5 years, you can count on a lot of the impact players to stay on a team for longer than that--in many cases their entire 12-15+ year careers.  Few players make that kind of impact in Div I, and even then the most talented of them last 4 years, 5 if they were redshirted. 

And again, success in college ranks often does not translate into success in the NFL.  Look at all the high 1st-rounders who have flopped, and look at guys like Brady, Montana, et al, who were picked far down the list yet had HOF type careers.

Oh, and anyone here think that Monday night helped Manti Te'o and his draft prospects in April?  Yeah, me neither.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2013, 12:08:03 PM »
Well you are being a little far fetched.  I don't think me or anyone else in the whole world thinks that.  But the number 10 or 5 team in the NCAA can.  Did not A&M prove that?

You think that, you are the one who cited the phrase "on any given Sunday" which the whole phrase is "on any given Sunday ANY team can beat ANY other team"

And maybe we need to look at why that is, how come they can in basketball but not football?  Maybe this would change with a play off system?  Look at the NCAA basketball playoffs... Small schools such as Memphis go all the way.

The games are really different, the nature of basketball makes games closer and lets more underdogs win in a single game.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:11:52 PM by BigTex »

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »

Yet an unranked, DIV II team can come into a major DIV I team's stadium and hand them their ass on national television or a suck team from a suck division can beat a top 10 team on Thursday night.

It happens quite frequently, usually to teams that don't take their opponents seriously which is how a #32 team can beat a #1 team on any given Sunday.

C.S. Lewis

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »
The #5 team with the Heisman winner beat the #1 team thats not exactly a huge upset.

No, but the week 11 #15 with 2 losses (both to SEC teams) beating the undefeated #1 (king of the SEC) team at home was a big upset.

C.S. Lewis

Offline BigTex

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »
Yet an unranked, DIV II team can come into a major DIV I team's stadium and hand them their ass on national television

App St was ranked #1 in Div 2, those teams are pretty good they are about as good as the #25 Div 1 team and it took a game winning field goal block to win. If we are talking about preseason rankings those are horrible every year a big time program gets a preseason top 10 ranking and finishes poorly. Because of the unequal schedule win / loss record dont tell the tale. So sometimes the #10 team has a chance against the #1 team (like an A&M team that was young and played top SEC competition) and sometimes there was never a shot for them to win (like ND who played pushovers all year)