Author Topic: SEC vs. ND  (Read 17827 times)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
SEC vs. ND
« on: November 29, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »

:fuelfire:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline boldfighter

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: SEC vs. ND
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
I look forward to the Championship game.  I firmly believe than ND will win, and I can not stand Notre Dame!

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »
Keep talking, I'm going to enjoy when the Tide finally gets rolled.  :-)

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »
I look forward to the Championship game.  I firmly believe than ND will win, and I can not stand Notre Dame!

No way in hell ND wins. They've had so many close calls it ain't even funny. One close call was to a team Bama dominated. I expect this to be another example of why the SEC is considered the toughest conference in the nation. Think ND would be undefeated playing an SEC schedule? Keep in mind, rankings don't mean anything when it comes to toughness. Kent State is ranked #17. Ole Miss would destroy Kent State. Rankings are a reflection on how well they perform in their schedules. They took strength of schedule out a while back.  

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »
Another thing that speaks volumes. The way they talk ALL.THE.TIME about Manti Te'o. Why? Because ND doesn't normally experience guys on D that good. What is omitted is defensive players of his caliber are ALL OVER the SEC.

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »
Another thing that speaks volumes. The way they talk ALL.THE.TIME about Manti Te'o. Why? Because ND doesn't normally experience guys on D that good. What is omitted is defensive players of his caliber are ALL OVER the SEC.

Well, one of us had better be ready to eat crow. I think Notre Dame proved it's toughness all season. I will take my guys over Alabama or Georgia all day, but I do think Bama is better than Georgia.

Offline boldfighter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »
No way in hell ND wins. They've had so many close calls it ain't even funny. One close call was to a team Bama dominated. I expect this to be another example of why the SEC is considered the toughest conference in the nation. Think ND would be undefeated playing an SEC schedule? Keep in mind, rankings don't mean anything when it comes to toughness. Kent State is ranked #17. Ole Miss would destroy Kent State. Rankings are a reflection on how well they perform in their schedules. They took strength of schedule out a while back.  

Reminds me of the arguments being made against Ohio State the last time they won it all.  ND 23 Georgia 14

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 05:49:48 PM »

Reminds me of the arguments being made against Ohio State the last time they won it all.   ND 23 Georgia 14

Against Miami. Do tell, when was the Big East EVER considered the dominant conference in the nation. Alabama 24 ND 14

Though I want UGA in it.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »

Reminds me of the arguments being made against Ohio State the last time they won it all.  ND 23 Georgia 14

Ohio who?   :fuelfire:
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
Ohio who?   :fuelfire:

I think he's referring to that 0-9 against the SEC in bowls Ohio State.

Correction. They beat Arkansas one year. 1-9. lulz

Offline boldfighter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
I'm willing to make a friendly bet.  Loser has to go on democraticundergound and talk about how nice it is to hear Jane Fonda discuss politics.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 07:11:46 PM »
I think he's referring to that 0-9 against the SEC in bowls Ohio State.

Correction. They beat Arkansas one year. 1-9. lulz

Nope, that one was erased.   :lmao:
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 07:22:19 PM »
I'm willing to make a friendly bet.  Loser has to go on democraticundergound and talk about how nice it is to hear Jane Fonda discuss politics.

Having served in Laos once upon a time, I'm not taking any Fonda bets......but ND has been a sentimental favorite of mine since the days of Johnny Lujack. Yeah, I'm that old!

Be that as it may, I think 'Bama will probably win......
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »

Make it sports-related and we're game. I will NEVER lower myself to talk positively about some stupid bitch that trashed the troops in Vietnam when my father served as an 0811 in the United States Marine Corps. I can't believe you'd even bring that shit up.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 09:00:36 PM »
1981 Sugar Bowl

GA 17
ND 10

That was UGA's last National Championship. We had someone named Hershel Walker playing at the time....

:-)

Edited to change date of Sugar Bowl. It was the 1980 season championship; but the Sugar Bowl was played in 1981....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:06:45 PM by dixierose »
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline boldfighter

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »
Make it sports-related and we're game. I will NEVER lower myself to talk positively about some stupid bitch that trashed the troops in Vietnam when my father served as an 0811 in the United States Marine Corps. I can't believe you'd even bring that shit up.

Sorry, bad joke.  God bless your father for his service.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
1981 Sugar Bowl

GA 17
ND 10

That was UGA's last National Championship. We had someone named Hershel Walker playing at the time....

:-)

Edited to change date of Sugar Bowl. It was the 1980 season championship; but the Sugar Bowl was played in 1981....

I know the whole "Gurley + Marshall = Gurschal", or something like that, but Herschel > Gurley + Marshall. Herschel Walker was a freak of nature, which is WELL above exemplary. He'd be a 8 star in a field of 5 stars. This is not to take away from Gurley or Marshall, but Herschel had almost as much as those two combined in his freshman year and #5 all-time rushing yards in college football when he only played 3 years. #1-4 played all 4 years. Without Hershel Walker, there would have never been a 1980 UGA national championship. Same with, as much as it pains me to say this because I was so down on the kid...until I saw him play, Johnny Manziel. No way in hell would A&M be anywhere near where it's at right now without him. Without Gurley and Marshall, Murray still has Tavarres King, Malcolm Mitchell, Marlon Brown, Michael Bennett, Ken Malcome, etc. Hershel was pretty much Daddy Dooley's main workhorse. That's pretty much how Heisman candidates are chosen. Can a team make it without this one player. Manziel? No. Hershel? No. Gurley + Marshall? Yes. Manti Te'o? Yes. Cam Newton? Well, you see the results of that. So does Gene the Chin. ...from the unemployment line.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:48:48 AM by Rebel »

Offline dixierose

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
I know the whole "Gurley + Marshall = Gurschal", or something like that, but Herschel > Gurley + Marshall. Herschel Walker was a freak of nature, which is WELL above exemplary. He'd be a 8 star in a field of 5 stars. This is not to take away from Gurley or Marshall, but Herschel had almost as much as those two combined in his freshman year and #5 all-time rushing yards in college football when he only played 3 years. #1-4 played all 4 years. Without Hershel Walker, there would have never been a 1980 UGA national championship. Same with, as much as it pains me to say this because I was so down on the kid...until I saw him play, Johnny Manziel. No way in hell would A&M be anywhere near where it's at right now without him. Without Gurley and Marshall, Murray still has Tavarres King, Malcolm Mitchell, Marlon Brown, Michael Bennett, Ken Malcome, etc. Hershel was pretty much Daddy Dooley's main workhorse. That's pretty much how Heisman candidates are chosen. Can a team make it without this one player. Manziel? No. Hershel? No. Gurley + Marshall? Yes. Manti Te'o? Yes. Cam Newton? Well, you see the results of that. So does Gene the Chin. ...from the unemployment line.

I agree with you on all points. I remember when Hershel got drafted. I was only 10 and didn't really understand how the draft worked. I was PISSED when he went to Dallas....I hated the Cowboys (still do). I think his story is a good one, too. He has written an autobiography which details his struggles with personality disorder. He was very open as to how it ruined his marriage and how it impacted him on the field. It's called Breaking Free: My Life with Dissociative Identity Disorder. Here's a link to its Amazon page.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Dissociative-Identity-Disorder/dp/B002RAR432

When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline BigTex

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »
I agree with you on all points. I remember when Hershel got drafted. I was only 10 and didn't really understand how the draft worked. I was PISSED when he went to Dallas....I hated the Cowboys (still do). I think his story is a good one, too. He has written an autobiography which details his struggles with personality disorder. He was very open as to how it ruined his marriage and how it impacted him on the field. It's called Breaking Free: My Life with Dissociative Identity Disorder. Here's a link to its Amazon page.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Dissociative-Identity-Disorder/dp/B002RAR432

I saw the ESPN biography on him it was pretty good. As far as the cowboys drafting him that was the one of best things that ever happened to the cowboys.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »

There's also an 30 for 30 ESPN special on him. Great story. It showed a man who built himself up to be a great. Contrast that with someone with God-given talent like Mississippi's own Marcus Dupree, and you'll come away thinking Marcus was a lazy f'er.

BTW:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/business/2012-11-29/herschel-walker-open-athens-restaurant

Can't see how these would go over anywhere else but Georgia, but he's wanting to make a chain. I've eaten at Lee Roy Selmon's in Tampa a few times. AWESOME, but it isn't plastered with Lee Roy's memorabilia. If it were, maybe OK City, Tampa, but I can't see where it would fit anywhere else.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:23:57 AM by Rebel »

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »
[youtube=425,350]yfI_6KaAw94[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]8ss_DTiMpOg#![/youtube]

Offline BigTex

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »
There's also an 30 for 30 ESPN special on him. Great story. It showed a man who built himself up to be a great. Contrast that with someone with God-given talent like Mississippi's own Marcus Dupree, and you'll come away thinking Marcus was a lazy f'er.

Do you mean Marcus Dupree?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:24:09 AM by Rebel »
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »
Do you mean Marcus Dupree?

:thatsright:

DAMN! Yes. Editing.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 10:24:30 AM »
Had to edit yours too, Tex. Don't need a pissed off SEAL on my ass.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »
I'm willing to make a friendly bet.  Loser has to go on democraticundergound and talk about how nice it is to hear Jane Fonda discuss politics.

How about $50 provided it is AL vs ND. The loser donates the money to this web site. We can make it less or more; make it lite on yourself.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:57:40 PM by Lacarnut »