Author Topic: Love it, hate it or laugh at it — at least it's inexpensive...Got Spam?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline RobJohnson

Kimberly Quan, a stay-at-home mom of three who lives just outside San Francisco, has been feeding her family more Spam in the last six months as she tries to make her food budget go further.

She cooks meals like Spam fried rice and Spam sandwiches two or three times a month, up from once a month previously.

Pulling Spam from the shelf prevents last-minute grocery store trips and overspending, said Quan, 38, of Pleasanton, Calif.

"It's canned meat and it's in the cupboard and if everything else is gone from the fridge, it's there," she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,359541,00.html

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
My wife grew up poor in Okinawa so she's been eating Spam her whole life. When we go food shopping she always grabs two or three cans of the stuff. She'll put it in traditional Asian dishes like fried rice and it tastes ok.
If she slices it thin and under cooks it, it's terrible. But if she fries it so the edges are burnt crispy it's pretty good. It's a bit too salty though.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Lord Undies

I have always liked Spam.  I have a can of Bacon Flavored Spam in the pantry.  It is my favorite.

I don't consider it particularly inexpensive.  It costs more than Eckrich Sausage. 

Spam is best when it stands alone (no pun considered).  I like it fried and served with eggs.  I enjoy a Spam sandwich. 

The crispy edges are a necessity.

Offline Lacarnut

My wife grew up poor in Okinawa so she's been eating Spam her whole life. When we go food shopping she always grabs two or three cans of the stuff. She'll put it in traditional Asian dishes like fried rice and it tastes ok.
If she slices it thin and under cooks it, it's terrible. But if she fries it so the edges are burnt crispy it's pretty good. It's a bit too salty though.

Frying it in butter makes it taste a little bit better. Hormel's sales of Spam have shot thru the roof.

Offline Flame

Haven't had it in 20 years or so, but if it's cooked right, fried very crispy, it'sn ot bad.   Inexpensive though??  Not really.   I understand the "it's there in the cabinet if I run  out of everything else" thing, but there are lots of things less expensive that also fit that bill!

Offline RobJohnson

Oh, yeah, crispy edges.....forgot about that...must get some!

Hey seen some single serve packs of Spam...

Spam...it's just not in cans anymore.

I think it's simply popular again due to being "quick and easy" and not so much the cost.

Offline stickyboot

I have always liked Spam.  I have a can of Bacon Flavored Spam in the pantry.  It is my favorite.

I don't consider it particularly inexpensive.  It costs more than Eckrich Sausage. 

Spam is best when it stands alone (no pun considered).  I like it fried and served with eggs.  I enjoy a Spam sandwich. 

The crispy edges are a necessity.

Yum-we love it that way, too. Like maybe even a fried Spam and grilled cheese sandwich to make it really clog those arteries and stop the heart cold. But boy, it is good.

Offline Lord Undies

Oh, yeah, crispy edges.....forgot about that...must get some!

Hey seen some single serve packs of Spam...

Spam...it's just not in cans anymore.

I think it's simply popular again due to being "quick and easy" and not so much the cost.

Yes, I did a little research.  It appears that Spam sales jump up this time of year.  Can you say "propaganda"?

Spam is not a winter treat.

Offline Miss Mia

I haven't had Spam in years.  I remember I didn't like it. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline megimoo

If you enjoy span then Crap on toast is for you !(Chipped beef for you civilians,aka sh*t on a shingle .)I wouldn't feed span to my dog !That stuff is made from pig scraps and what ever comes off of the machines when they steam clean them at the end of the night shift !If you are old enough to remember 'hard times' I guess its all right !

Offline Lord Undies

If you enjoy span then Crap on toast is for you !(Chipped beef for you civilians,aka sh*t on a shingle .)I wouldn't feed span to my dog !That stuff is made from pig scraps and what ever comes off of the machines when they steam clean them at the end of the night shift !If you are old enough to remember 'hard times' I guess its all right !

You need to stop buying Clabber Valley's Almost-Spam at Yuan General.  I buy Hormel.  It is made at some expense with pork shoulder and ham.  Hormel dedicates a lot of livestock specifically to Spam.  That's why it's almost $3.00 for a 12 oz. can.

Offline RobJohnson

:rotf:

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Never had the stuff....don't plan on trying it either. 

Offline Lacarnut

Never had the stuff....don't plan on trying it either. 

Come on now---you have not lived until you have had fried spam with eggs and brains for breakfast.

Offline LaceDustBoots

• Probationary (Probie)
Instead of a BLT, try a SLT.  My daughter's first "people food" favorite was SLTs.  My mother got her hooked on them.

Yes, it has to be cooked to the "crispy" stage. 

Offline RobJohnson

Instead of a BLT, try a SLT.  My daughter's first "people food" favorite was SLTs.  My mother got her hooked on them.

Yes, it has to be cooked to the "crispy" stage. 

Actually that sounds pretty good, have to try it...

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
Yum, Spam and eggs with home made tortillas,

I gotta go to my Mom's house this weekend.  :cheersmate:

Offline cottondress

Had an interesting taste treat last night .Just a get together at our local Shrine Club. Gal who is a native of Hawaii brought spam sushi. It was a slice of spam covered in soy sauced rice and wrapped in seaweed. Guys loved it...I spit out the fishy tasting seaweed...yuck 
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Offline stickyboot

Had an interesting taste treat last night .Just a get together at our local Shrine Club. Gal who is a native of Hawaii brought spam sushi. It was a slice of spam covered in soy sauced rice and wrapped in seaweed. Guys loved it...I spit out the fishy tasting seaweed...yuck 

For whatever reason, Spam is ultra-popular in Hawaii. I think the story is that it was introduced at the Pearl Harbor base in WWII and the meat with a long shelf life concept just took off. Many ingenious uses there.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!

For whatever reason, Spam is ultra-popular in Hawaii. I think the story is that it was introduced at the Pearl Harbor base in WWII and the meat with a long shelf life concept just took off. Many ingenious uses there.

Indeed--that's where I learned to like it.

I keep a can or two around the house when I feel like a Spam omelette or Spam and eggs for breakfast.  Also goes well with Ramen noodles.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford