Author Topic: Serious questions  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
Serious questions
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »
Okay, I know that wind turbines are terribly inefficient, but has anyone ever contemplated using a water mill for wind power? With the extra blades, I would think they would be more efficient. How difficult do ou think it would be to convert one?

And second, anyone planning on growing wheat if SHTF? If so, do you have any plans for a home thresher? I'd be interested in seeing them.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: Serious questions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »
Okay, I know that wind turbines are terribly inefficient, but has anyone ever contemplated using a water mill for wind power? With the extra blades, I would think they would be more efficient. How difficult do ou think it would be to convert one?

I suspect that modifying a water mill to run on wind would result in a negative or neutral "gain" in production - and more likely than not a reduction in "efficiency". I see it as a lot of effort for no observable gain.

The basic principle is exactly the same in the two devices - using a rotating device to collect the available energy and spin a dynamo / alternator. The differences being that the wind collection mechanism needs features that the water one doesn't - such as the ability to feather the blades on overspeed and the ability to rotate to collect the most wind possible.

And second, anyone planning on growing wheat if SHTF? If so, do you have any plans for a home thresher? I'd be interested in seeing them.

Wheat is unsuited to my climate and I don't eat bread anyway so I have other plans.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: Serious questions
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
Actually, in any environment where you get at least a 5 knot wind; on a cost per watt basis, personal sized wind generators are going to be a better buy and last longer than comparable output levels from solar panels. 

Also, don't think of it as an either/or prospect. Having some of your energy generation investment in both may well stand you in good stead.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus