Author Topic: Official Sandy thread  (Read 49677 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Official Sandy thread
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »
Are you on the same electric provider as your neighbors?

We're with a co-op, and were out of power for about 18-24 hours after Hurricane Dolly, while everyone else was out 5-6 days.

We're all JCP&L, and the other problem aside from the wind is the leaves are turning but there's still a lot of leaves on the trees, wet leaves and possible snow means trees down everywhere, and we could be out for days before JCP&L takes care of us.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »
I hope everyone is safe.

Frank, sorry to hear about the early snow fall. I hope you are still able to go trick or treating on the 31st

Offline A7X_foREVer

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 10:23:35 PM »
My prayer is for everyone to stay safe and sound
Voting for Obama for a second term would be like the captain of the Titanic backing into the iceberg again

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 03:41:03 AM »
Bally, any place you could go and quickly rent a generator? Like do it today? Might be cheaper than buying and you'd have it if you lose power. 

If you have any empty milk jugs, fill them with water and stick them in the freezers. It will take some time for the ice in that size of a block to melt and keep the freezer cold longer than cubed ice, and you can use the resulting water either to drink or whatever.

Y'all be safe up there!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 04:40:55 AM »
From what I saw Crystal Egger and Kelly Bonehead Cass say about an hour ago on The Weather Channel, it quite possibly will be worse.  Ya see, Irene made landfall and went northeast.  Sandy is supposedly going to hit right around Atlantic City and go northwest.  The northeast part of the storm gets the most rain.  Guess where the Catskills would be in relation to wherethe storm's going to hit?  Northeast.  Last time, they were north-northwest and look at what happened.  The one possible saving grace is that the storm will have to travel longer over land to get to the Catskills, so there should be a bit less energy.

But, for those in the Schoharie Creek area downstream of the Gilboa Dam, the lake behind the dam was waaaay down a couple of months ago, and they told us then that they could take an inflow of the same size as they suffered for Irene (over 4 billion gallons!) and not overtop the Gilboa Dam (Irene was eight feet over the top of Gilboa Dam for Irene).  So, they should be better off.

Yeah the Ashokan is way down so we wont get the over flow but still Irene overflowed every stream and gully in the mountains. The mud from that is still coming down stream! This storm could bring a bunch of wet snow and with the leaves still on the trees oh boy! Think I'll hook up the plow and shop for a new generator today. Just as a back up for my old one.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 05:50:41 AM »
Okay, I'm curious about something.

I've been watching the weather radar, but am not sure all what it means, just some of it.

So there's a storm coming from the west, that's going to collide with the hurricane coming from the south?

And about where New Jersey is?

Is that correct?

There's primitives in the way--the sparkling old dude in a rich suburb just west of Balitmore, Atman in eastern Connecticut, the Bostonian Drunkard in Boston.  Are they projected to get hit too?

If so, Skins's island should be a lot of fun.

Not so much fun for decent and civilized people caught up in it, of course, but I'm talking about the primitives here.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 06:33:16 AM »
I am wary of the news bias and have wondered if they are making such a big deal right now to get the spotlight off of politics, off Obama with coverage of the super dooper huge perfect storm.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »
I doubt that Gina. It's a hurricane and looks to still be one by the time it gets to the northeast and I believe is colliding with a pretty powerful front that's set to drop our temps by 40 degrees ny tomorrow and we are west of there.  Warm wet air from hurricane meeting cold air from the west I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's the gist of what I've got and I've seen it before. Nasty stuff. It gets a lot of attention not only for the likely severity but the cluster frack of people in that concentrated area.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 07:14:42 AM »
Well , while you are riding the tide, and the bow turns south, pick up me ind jingles on the way down,,,mmmmkay? :-)

Sea, the funniest dream came to me last night.  

You know the rafts put in lakes to dive off, the ones made of lumber and 50 gallon empty metal barrels ??

Very vivid memory's of one summer when I and a couple friends swam out to one and out of no where out of the West a huge thunder shower came racing across the lake at us.  We had no time to swim to shore so we just lay down and hung on for dear life.

Somehow the mooring came loose and we floated off to shore, my Grand parents waiting with a dozen of dry towels to warm us up as we were freezing,  wet, scared and hungry.

Strange dream I was thinking when I awoke this AM.   Not a streaming dream but sort of like time laps shots of what happend so long ago.

When I went to open the drapes a few hours ago the first thing I saw was my deck out back. Because of zoning rules decks cannot be attached to the home. just set on cement blocks.  

You know how I am Sea, sometimes 2x2=6 for me but this time still half awake I did not see my deck, I saw a raft.  

Now to the planning stages for lack of nothing better to do.    I know of places that cannot give away empty barrels of cooking oil or what not.  The places have to pay to have them hauled away.  Getting a dozen or so making sure they are air tight and lashing them to the bottom of the deck would take perhaps an hour or so.  There is enough room under the deck to do so.

Biggest problem would be balance to insure if the deck hit something under water it could not tip over.  There is no time to make a rudder or keel but the kayak paddles will have to do in a pinch. sort of like a canoe, steer from the bow and stern.  I would need at least  3-4  20 gallon empty buckets to use as a sea anchor, sort of a 3 point mooring,

So never fear if the creek infact does rise and you hear an air horn outside your apartment, you may see a home owners deck with 2 kayaks attached ,one wet miserable dog, two miserable cats waiting to take you and Jingles aboard---Plenty of life jackets for all hands.   -------------- Pay no attention to the terrified man, that's just hubby he will get over it. --------  

All I ask from you is to supply the Jolly Roger flag in defiance of Sandy.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 08:33:30 AM »
Looks like I'm directly in the crosshairs if it's going to hit between Ocean City (NJ) and Atlantic City -- I'm just 30 miles inland of AC  :panic:

That's still the forecast as of this morning -- sometime later Monday through Tues.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
Looks like I'm directly in the crosshairs if it's going to hit between Ocean City (NJ) and Atlantic City -- I'm just 30 miles inland of AC  :panic:

That's still the forecast as of this morning -- sometime later Monday through Tues.

Putcher seat belt on, nj....it's prolly gonna be a bumpy ride.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
My wife and I have been vacationing in the D.C. and Virginia Beach area since last Saturday.  We have had fantastic weather but have seen a turn last night. Tomorrow we are driving to Baltimore for a few days and plan on flying out Monday morning.  Hoping we don't get stranded at BWI.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 08:52:30 AM »
All y'all up there on the east coast be safe and prepared.  We can joke all we want but after having been through a few hurricanes they are serious business (and I know y'all know that).

Here's hoping your electricity doesn't go out for too long.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »
Yeah the Ashokan is way down so we wont get the over flow but still Irene overflowed every stream and gully in the mountains. The mud from that is still coming down stream! This storm could bring a bunch of wet snow and with the leaves still on the trees oh boy! Think I'll hook up the plow and shop for a new generator today. Just as a back up for my old one.

On the ride in, it was mentioned that the soils in the Catskills were pretty saturated for when Irene came calling, so there wasn't much excess absorbtion capacity in the ground.  Now, it's a bit different--the soils are a fair sight drier than then, and can absorb more rain.  How much more?  Guess we'll find out.  :o
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
On the ride in, it was mentioned that the soils in the Catskills were pretty saturated for when Irene came calling, so there wasn't much excess absorbtion capacity in the ground.  Now, it's a bit different--the soils are a fair sight drier than then, and can absorb more rain.  How much more?  Guess we'll find out.  :o

Why wait?  Ask Nadine.  I'm sure she could tell you how much run off you can expect, what the levels of the lakes will be when it's over, how many people and how long they will be out of electricity ... etc...

This way all of you will know how much food and water to stock up on.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »

Hunker down and make sure you have plenty of beer.   :-)

Seriously, I hope y'all make it through alright. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »
Has Obama mentioned the hurricane?  could this be his Katrina?

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
I hope Stinky the Clown ponied up for a generator... it looks like he may need one.

Sandy looks like the real deal
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
I spent all day getting ready. I can't think of anything I'm not ready for unless my house takes a hit and I get injured. If I don't get injured I'm good!  I am a Conservative I can take care of myself.  
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »
I spent all day getting ready. I can't think of anything I'm not ready for unless my house takes a hit and I get injured. If I don't get injured I'm good!  I am a Conservative I can take care of myself.  

Can you use more ammo for the Ruger .44?

(This is a trick question.  You can always use more ammo! :-) )
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline cmypay

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
I spent all day getting ready. I can't think of anything I'm not ready for unless my house takes a hit and I get injured. If I don't get injured I'm good!  I am a Conservative I can take care of myself. 

Me too. Stock up shopping done, yard cleaned up, pool closed for the season (  :( ). Checked to make sure the generator is in good working condition. Now it's just sit back and wait.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 07:30:46 PM »
Bally, any place you could go and quickly rent a generator? Like do it today? Might be cheaper than buying and you'd have it if you lose power.  

If you have any empty milk jugs, fill them with water and stick them in the freezers. It will take some time for the ice in that size of a block to melt and keep the freezer cold longer than cubed ice, and you can use the resulting water either to drink or whatever.

Y'all be safe up there!

We've checked everywhere and there isn't a generator available at all in North Jersey. I knew it I knew it I knew it, woman should never listen to their husbands, I've been wanting to buy 1 for months and my Husband kept saying no, all of a sudden he realizes "crap, we have a sump pump" and if we lose power he'll basically be sleeping in the basement and have to pump it manually.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:33:00 PM by Ballygrl »
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »
We've checked everywhere and there isn't a generator available at all in North Jersey. I knew it I knew it I knew it, woman should never listen to their husbands, I've been wanting to buy 1 for months and my Husband kept saying no, all of a sudden he realizes "crap, we have a sump pump" and if we lose power he'll basically be sleeping in the basement and have to pump it manually.

If that isn't an inducement to get one after this, I don't know what would get through his skull.  I want to get one for the townhouse ASAP; a big natural gas-powered one, but the thing would likely have to go on the front of the house by the garage.  I am damned sure going to find out.

Chase her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »
If that isn't an inducement to get one after this, I don't know what would get through his skull.  I want to get one for the townhouse ASAP; a big natural gas-powered one, but the thing would likely have to go on the front of the house by the garage.  I am damned sure going to find out.
I had no options available living in that apartment.  Good thing I kept a spare car battery and work lamp hanging around... it was nice to have light when the power went out, which it did regularly in that neighborhood.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline seahorse513

• I don't take shit from anyone!!
  • British by birth, American thru naturalization
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »
Dearest BallyGirl, I wish you safety and good will.... I think by the time it gets here in NH, Sandy will have gone out to sea or tuckered herself out!! Keep me posted!!
The sea is treacherous, but an even hand on the keel brings it safely to port.

Nothing is sexier than a man and his gun!!!

A man should prefer his own company to that of others, because no matter where he goes,he'll find himself there..

"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money".  Lady Maggie Thatcher