Author Topic: Canyon fishing  (Read 5602 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Canyon fishing
« on: October 09, 2012, 04:39:31 PM »
I thought I'd share a few pictures of a fishing trip I took last Saturday.

October is usually a very good month for fly fishing. The overnight temps drop into the 50 and daytime rarely gets above 80.
I decided to fish a stretch of the North Fork Feather River that I haven't fished for around 5 years, maybe more. Getting to the river it's self is a bit of an adventure. First you have to walk down to the railroad that runs along the river.

Then it's a one mile hike, roughly, to a bridge where you can actually get down the very steep embankment to the river it'self.

Plaque showing just how long the RR has been in place in this canyon.

Iv'e gone down the embankment and took a shot back up toward the bridge.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:54:12 PM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

Re: Canyon fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
Finally, down at the river!

Here is what I'm fishing for.

A nice fat Rainbow. Not one of the biggest I've ever caught, but a beauty none the less.

This hole had so many trout in it I could have gotten a limit here.

An "artistic" shot.   :rofl:

After a few hours it's time to hike out, back up that damn hill.   :thatsright:

Remnants of the old telegraph lines that ran up through the canyon.

A shot back at the "famous" double trestle where Hwy 70 crosses the river above the RR trestle. Kinda hard to see, I got the exposure wrong.

I had a great day, and came back with a limit of trout for dinner. I'll probably head back this weekend, if the weather holds.

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »
Nice, but I'm surprised those glass insulators are still on the telegraph pole.  They are collectible.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:15:03 PM »
Very nice! But that's a plastic rod! I can fix that.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Very nice! But that's a plastic rod! I can fix that.

3/4 wt LL RP Graphite III Sage, nice try.    :tongue:

unless you want to send me a wood rod for..........testing?             :-)

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »
Nice, but I'm surprised those glass insulators are still on the telegraph pole.  They are collectible.

There's a ton of them down along the tracks. Most, I think, are somewhat new (clear glass), but now and then you'll find an older one. The biggest problem is that the RR workers will tear down the old cross bars and just chuck them down the river bank.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 09:50:19 AM »
Beautiful country. Thanks for posting, WS.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:31:46 AM »

I have six of them, and one huge insulator from the old Southshore electric line that ran from Chicago to South Bend.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »
I went back this weekend. Fished upstream this time. I must have missed 3-4 Trout in the 2-4 lb range and a few that broke off 4.5 lb tippet.   :argh:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:08:19 PM »
Pretty place  :yahoo: great fishing  :yahoo:

hike to the pretty great fishing place -  :mad:

I have a custom graphite titanium rod with perfect balance - black with teal and gold wraps - Shimano spinning reel.

It's very good at catching barracuda.  :shucks:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »
Pretty place  :yahoo: great fishing  :yahoo:

hike to the pretty great fishing place -  :mad:

I have a custom graphite titanium rod with perfect balance - black with teal and gold wraps - Shimano spinning reel.

It's very good at catching barracuda.  :shucks:

Whats interesting is the hike is not that far, as you can see, the bridge isn't that far up. It's just getting down the embankment once you "hike" (it's flat and easy) along the tracks.

Better shot of the double trestle:

Here's a vid of just how close the trains are when they pass by. I got lucky and heard the train coming and did not start down the narrow section that you can see in the vid, once I turn and "follow' the train. It's always an adventure!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:44:34 PM by Wineslob »

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
We fish for trout because they live in beautiful places.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »

I'm perfectly happy fishing on the flats off of Key West.

This is not the guide we fish with....but this is how we go fishing

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCPgK96NLoM[/youtube]

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »

Exactly. That canyon is a getaway for me, and it's close. 

:cheersmate:

Offline longview

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 11:57:12 PM »
Nice! 

I've failed to get out for any fishing this fall, but may still get a chance next month.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »
Nice! 

I've failed to get out for any fishing this fall, but may still get a chance next month.

I got in one more trip, same place, but different section of the river.

Even the fish are in fall color. (not a great shot)

Looks like the weather is going to change drastically, so it's the last trip of the year, but it was good, really good.   :)

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »
You are one lucky SOB To live there!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »
You are one lucky SOB To live there!

Heh, sore as hell, that canyon will kick your ass, in a good way.  :cheersmate: