Author Topic: fixing clock  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: fixing clock
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »
Sea, since it says "quartz" I agree, you will probably be able to just buy a new movement for it and have it installed.

Now, if it was a wind up from the 40-50's.................. :hyper:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
Sea, since it says "quartz" I agree, you will probably be able to just buy a new movement for it and have it installed.

Oh yes, that Mickey Mouse alarm clock I received as a kid, who knew then what it would cost today. 

Reminds me of a scam I heard about in the early 1990's, Returning Airforce vets and family's from Germany would bring back these huge elaborate grandfather clocks. The weights were the size of your head.   The scam was they were told that the clock had to cleaned every 18 months and given a list of company's all over the USA to come to the home and clean it.  Cost from $500.+ 

Up in Dover a near by town there is a small Museum   with one room that has grandfathers that go back to the 1700's I asked the Docent how they could afford to have these clocks kept in good repair as they all ran and kept good time.

The old fella, looking as old as the clocks gave me an odd look and said that every couple years they very carefully vacuum them out and oil the workings with sewing machine oil.  Just a few drops are needed.     I asked what was used before the oil was invented and he laughed and said perhaps unsalted lard, or whale oil.

What a scam, but they are out there you know.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 01:58:46 AM »
seahorse, nice clock.

When I was younger and still in high school I always like to have things with ducks. Especially mallards.

It might just be irony but years later I worked for a pro UFC hockey team, the Quad City Mallards....hmmmmm

I did not play...hell no....I was the sales manager.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 07:33:21 AM »

How about a porcelain windup from the 1920s?
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 09:43:23 AM »
How about a porcelain windup from the 1920s?

Even better.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.