Author Topic: MY DISASTER GUN  (Read 7469 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
MY DISASTER GUN
« on: September 23, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »
I got this article off of SurvivalBlog.  They got it from the American Rifleman website.

MY DISASTER GUN

If you had to choose one gun—and only one gun—to get you through a disaster (be it traditional or zombie-related), what would it be? If you could have one firearm (that’s realistically available) to protect yourself, your family and your assets, what would it be and why? Here are 10 choices made by some of the editors and contributors in NRA Publications. What would you choose? Let us know.

The link is:  http://www.americanrifleman.org/GalleryItem.aspx?cid=22&gid=198&id=1770

I'd like to add that the last one should be a traditional flintlock . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
Re: MY DISASTER GUN
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 08:23:38 AM »
The author's right about most people thinking short-term survival. Long term, after the looters have left you alone (what's left of them after you've unleashed your SRM shotgun on them), I would like to have a good recurve bow along with a firearm. You can find (and carry) multiple stings for them, and when bullets run out, you still have resources to make arrows. In fact, that's a skill I might want to learn anyway.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »
I just have a 9mm pistol.
I would like a shot gun, and maybe a long rifle, but for now this will have to do,

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 04:36:16 AM »
Mine has always been my good old Savage mod 24 22 mag/.410 over under. I can bug out with a very good assortment of ammo and be able to kill anything. Enough ammo to last a long, long time in just my pockets!
  Now if a zombie attack were to be on the menu that mini gun and an endless supply of ammo sounds like fun!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:42:02 AM by catsmtrods »
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:51:58 PM »
Got a few of those.  :naughty:
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:03 PM »
In the event of a disaster, and I had but one gun to choose, it would be a wheel gun in .357. I don't see the need for a long gun because I'm not going hunting. "Disaster" suggests short range needs only. "One gun" requires reliability semi-autos don't always have.

Now if survival is factored in after a disaster, then I'd like to have my sporterized M96 Swedish Mauser back.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
In the event of a disaster, and I had but one gun to choose, it would be a wheel gun in .357. I don't see the need for a long gun because I'm not going hunting. "Disaster" suggests short range needs only. "One gun" requires reliability semi-autos don't always have.

Now if survival is factored in after a disaster, then I'd like to have my sporterized M96 Swedish Mauser back.

One gun: Remington 870 12 ga pump shotgun with 20 inch Rem-Choked barrel and rifle sights

Two guns: The Remmie, and a S&W Model 686, .357 Magnum, 6 inch barrel

Three guns: Add a Springfield Armory M1A

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »
My "survival gun" will be a .22LR long rifle. I really need to get my finger out of my arse and do the paperwork for it as I planned on it being my christmas present.

I won't pimp a particular breed of rifle - that's up to user discretion.

Reason :

Ammunition portability, diversity and availability.

You can carry years worth of rounds for it easily in a backpack or belt pouch. There are many types available in many different velocities and projectile types, including shot shells.

Expecting to be able to acquire ammunition or reloading components in a disaster situation could lead to "having a bad time". Making a consistent and effective blackpowder - even assuming you've a source of suitable potassium nitrate is harder than it sounds.

A well placed shot from a decent loading will drop pretty much any game you're likely to encounter. We used one to kill a beef not so long back, and that sucker went down like a sack of sand with a single shot to the head. If you're hunting for meat - you need well placed shots.

I can also pretty much guarantee you that any unarmored goblin / zombie / etc will suddenly remember a pressing appointment elsewhere should they catch one through the head or chest.

The 22LR is cheap enough that you can practice with your weapon as often as you like without breaking the bank so that you will be able to make those precision shots , and decent quality rifles can be had for affordable prices.

Most of you are in the US as well - so you can pick up a handgun chambered for the same round as well for close quarters use.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 05:10:36 AM »
My "survival gun" will be a .22LR long rifle. I really need to get my finger out of my arse and do the paperwork for it as I planned on it being my christmas present.

I won't pimp a particular breed of rifle - that's up to user discretion.

Reason :

Ammunition portability, diversity and availability.

You can carry years worth of rounds for it easily in a backpack or belt pouch. There are many types available in many different velocities and projectile types, including shot shells.

Expecting to be able to acquire ammunition or reloading components in a disaster situation could lead to "having a bad time". Making a consistent and effective blackpowder - even assuming you've a source of suitable potassium nitrate is harder than it sounds.

A well placed shot from a decent loading will drop pretty much any game you're likely to encounter. We used one to kill a beef not so long back, and that sucker went down like a sack of sand with a single shot to the head. If you're hunting for meat - you need well placed shots.

I can also pretty much guarantee you that any unarmored goblin / zombie / etc will suddenly remember a pressing appointment elsewhere should they catch one through the head or chest.

The 22LR is cheap enough that you can practice with your weapon as often as you like without breaking the bank so that you will be able to make those precision shots , and decent quality rifles can be had for affordable prices.

Most of you are in the US as well - so you can pick up a handgun chambered for the same round as well for close quarters use.

Funny that you should say this.  Gun Digest has, in their latest web edition, an article which says exactly what you're saying, with an emphasis on the weight of the ammo.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 05:33:23 AM »
That's why I chose the mod 24. I can also hit birds in flight. A big plus when hungry. 100 rounds of .410 don't take up to much space.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »
Got more than one to choose from;

Savage Model 99C .308 with 2X7 Scope
Springfield 30.06 with iron sights [was dads sporterized 1908 end of WWII sold to troops]
Ruger .44 Mag handgun with 6 1/2 inch barrel [single action][with loads I use, I can handle to 90-100 yds]
         {6 Ft drop at 100 yds}
Taurus Judge - shots .410 shotgun shells, and/or .45 long rifle bullets
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline ConservativeMobster

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 02:23:51 PM »
.22LR is my choice. I have a Marlin with scope, H&R revolver and a Ruger with an additional Magnum barrel. Just need to find a place to shoot the things, short of joining a gun club or make pals in the country with lots of acres.   
Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?***Ronald Reagan

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »
45 acp, got a Smith but I want a Kimber.

I only want to shoot stuff once.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu