Author Topic: Diary from Bible College  (Read 70712 times)

Offline Zeus

Re: Diary from Bible College
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 09:06:46 PM »
Don't get me wrong I like the New Testament, but I like history and as long as it keeps to the word during ministry its ok.

Not at all , not at all.  One cannot attempt to fully understand and appreciate the New testament with out first  to do so of the Old Testament . I do realize some believe the New supplants the Old but I  don't see it as such.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 09:27:37 PM »
Of course but visually in a time of need you can see things better in the Old Testament. Like Joshua asking for a longer day to fight. Its a great story of God working for someone who has faith.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »
My Grandmother is visiting, down from Ft Lauderdale. I showed her this thread and she enjoyed it a lot. She likes the response I've gotten from you guys. She especially loves Zeus' signature with the "Don't make One Big Ass Mistake Again."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:07 PM »
My Grandmother is visiting, down from Ft Lauderdale. I showed her this thread and she enjoyed it a lot. She likes the response I've gotten from you guys. She especially loves Zeus' signature with the "Don't make One Big Ass Mistake Again."

Um.

I'm confused, though.

You're down there in Florida.

Your father, SGT Snuggle Bunny, is up here near me, in Colorado.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zeus

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 08:29:57 PM »

With a Grandson attending Jesus School I'm surprised it wasn't

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.
By the way that is a Tennessee Ernie Ford quote. I couldn't get the attribute to fit what with the other banners and all.

Then again it is the grandson attending Jesus school not the Grandmother.  :cheersmate:

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »
Um.

I'm confused, though.

You're down there in Florida.

Your father, SGT Snuggle Bunny, is up here near me, in Colorado.

Live with my Mother down in sunny Florida.

With a Grandson attending Jesus School I'm surprised it wasn't

By the way that is a Tennessee Ernie Ford quote. I couldn't get the attribute to fit what with the other banners and all.

Then again it is the grandson attending Jesus school not the Grandmother.  :cheersmate:

You met one half of my Family through Sgt Snuggle, but the other half is just as eccentric.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:40:50 PM by ColonelCarrots »

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
Live with my Mother down in sunny Florida.

You met one half of my Family through Sgt Snuggle, but the other half is just as eccentric.

Great, perfect family to be able to understand others with out judgement.  Drives me nuts to meet folk that are so single minded they cannot look beyond their own ego's and sanctimonious beliefs.To refuse to understand or even want to others lives and motivations.       

Big problem some years go, a young man was in great harm and he wished to be baptised.   The woman he was with did indeed baptised him even as she was from another faith.     She was Catholic and he of no faith at all.   He on his death bed wished to be baptised into the Catholic faith, she did so, he passed away and then the furor began in the question of who had the right to baptise another.

There is a excellent segment on the  old All In The Family show where the grandpa took his grandchild to a church and baptised him himself.   A real tear jerker at the time.

Then the plane crash of soccer players in South America and those starving ate the dead body's of others to survive.    It took the POPE to issue an edict that in this case had the living starved to death with nourishment available it would become suicide.  --

So much you will learn both in school and out of school.   Darn but I admire you for being so young and wishing to become a Sheppard to both the white and black sheep.    All humans are valuable and I am sure that even if a human has never heard of Jesus, if they lived a just life-----the Lord will not turn aside from them. 

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »
I'm Baptist and my Grandmother's side is Messianic Jew. There isn't a lot of judgmental-ism in my family except for maybe me getting my tattoo over the summer while I was in Colorado this past summer.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
I'm Baptist and my Grandmother's side is Messianic Jew. There isn't a lot of judgmental-ism in my family except for maybe me getting my tattoo over the summer while I was in Colorado this past summer.

Would that make you a Southern Jew or you just can't drive to the liquor store on Saturdays ?  :lmao:

"Lord please forgive me and may God bless the Pygmies in New Guinea"

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
Would that make you a Southern Jew or you just can't drive to the liquor store on Saturdays ?  :lmao:

"Lord please forgive me and may God bless the Pygmies in New Guinea"

Its a hard life. I love Shellfish but I'm taught its bad by the Jewish side. I also love smoking cigars and I'm told its bad by the Baptists.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »
Its a hard life. I love Shellfish but I'm taught its bad by the Jewish side. I also love smoking cigars and I'm told its bad by the Baptists.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXU-KtjeWYM[/youtube]

I wanna tell you people it's a nat'ral fact
Ev'ry man don't understand the Bible alike
And that's all, I tell you that's all
'Cause you better have Jesus
I tell you that's all

Well, the denominations have no right to fight
You know, they ought to go on and treat each other right
And that's all, I tell you that's all
I tell you that's all

Well, the primitive Baptists they believe
That you can't get to heaven 'less you wash your feet
And that's all, I'll tell you that's all
I tell you that's all

Now, it’s hard to find a Presbyterian on his knees
He’s too busy dotting Is and crossing all his Ts
I tell you that's all

Now, the Nazarenes tell you drinkin is a crime,
But I know a Nazarene who turned water into wine
I tell you that's all

Now, the Unitarian, you know he’s cuttin it close,
You can say that he believes in one God at the most
I tell you that's all

Now, the Frisbyterian, they’re walkin round with a frown
‘cause the soul’s on the roof and they can’t get it down
I tell you that's all

Now, Clinton was a Baptist, Bush a Methodist,
But they both need JESUS more than any politics
I tell you that's all

Well, you can go to your college, you can go to your school
But if you ain't got Jesus, you'se (you are) an educated fool
I tell you that's all

It's right to stand together, wrong to stand apart
When none will enter heaven but the pure at heart
I'll tell you that's all

Well, the African Methodists, they believe the same
'Cause they know demonination ain't a thing but a name
I tell you that's all

Well, people that jump from church to church
You can bet their conversion don't amount too much
I tell you that's all

Lyrics in red not included in video
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:05:23 PM by Zeus »

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »
More silly stuff today.

Couple weeks ago I told everyone at school I was searching for a woman who had a kid my age so that we could play video games together. There's a guy Shane who likes to pick on me so today I kept asking him if his mother was single, kept telling him to be nice to me since I was going to be his new Daddy, and I also told him I would ground him if he didn't behave. I got the room laughing including our teacher.

Tomorrow we have ministry day. I think we're going out to help another church spread the word that they're in town. Should be fun.

We're basically going out to the highways and hedges and compel them to come in to the house of the Lord.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:20:45 PM by ColonelCarrots »

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
So today we went out to help a church invite people. Not a lot happened though, just a few rude people and a lot of people at work. When I got home I got on my bike and went to my ex-girlfriend's house. She was expecting friendship and talking about things that happened in the last 2 years and we did, but I surprised her with a road to salvation.

A little back story before I continue. This girl needs help that only God can give. She has schizophrenia, so many health problems to the point that her teeth are rotting out of her mouth from puking. She can't get a job she's so fatigued from being sick all the time. Really depressing stuff. So I visited her today, asked her to come to church. She had a very "spiritual" outlook on life a hodgepodge religion basically. I showed her that its not right. The morality that Hinduism may teach like "do good to others" is in the Bible. Showed her the all the morality you need is in the Bible and thats all you need. I told her to beware of false prophets, people that like to tweak the Bible. I showed her how the Bible has been right about so many things before they even happened. showed her how it has been true about our government, about history, how history has played out and shown that the Bible is true. How homosexuality is the downfall of great Nations. I showed her all these things, all of our sins have been in our world, and we've reaped what we've sowed. Showed her the downfall of man is through sin. But then I told her, I can show you the way to defend against that. I invited her to church and hopefully she'll be there. She has no excuses to not go if she can't get a ride either.

So that was me soul-winning to my friend. Talked for an hour and a half about God out of the 2 hours I was there.

During my devotions I was reading something about Christianity and Republicanism in my Bible's commentary.

Benjamin Rush wrote a letter to Thomas Jefferson saying
I have always considered Christianity as the strong ground of republicanism. The spirit is opposed, not only to splendor, but even to the very forms of monarchy, and many precepts have for their objects republican liberty and equality as well as simplicity, integrity, and economy in government. It is only necessary for republicanism to ally itself to Christian religion to overturn all the corrupted political and religious institutions in the world.

The verse it associated that to is 2 Peter 2:19, but verse 18 goes with it well and verse 21 proves their own damnation.

18 "For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error."
19 "While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage."
21 "For had it been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them."

Means they promise all the things that make us happy while making our spirits dirty, promiscuity, homosexuality, damning the church. It would be better for them to not know God than to know that God existed and to still keep doing what they do.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 08:43:09 AM »
So today we went out to help a church invite people. Not a lot happened though, just a few rude people and a lot of people at work. When I got home I got on my bike and went to my ex-girlfriend's house. She was expecting friendship and talking about things that happened in the last 2 years and we did, but I surprised her with a road to salvation.

A little back story before I continue. This girl needs help that only God can give. She has schizophrenia, so many health problems to the point that her teeth are rotting out of her mouth from puking. She can't get a job she's so fatigued from being sick all the time. Really depressing stuff. So I visited her today, asked her to come to church. She had a very "spiritual" outlook on life a hodgepodge religion basically. I showed her that its not right. The morality that Hinduism may teach like "do good to others" is in the Bible. Showed her the all the morality you need is in the Bible and thats all you need. I told her to beware of false prophets, people that like to tweak the Bible. I showed her how the Bible has been right about so many things before they even happened. showed her how it has been true about our government, about history, how history has played out and shown that the Bible is true. How homosexuality is the downfall of great Nations. I showed her all these things, all of our sins have been in our world, and we've reaped what we've sowed. Showed her the downfall of man is through sin. But then I told her, I can show you the way to defend against that. I invited her to church and hopefully she'll be there. She has no excuses to not go if she can't get a ride either.

So that was me soul-winning to my friend. Talked for an hour and a half about God out of the 2 hours I was there.

During my devotions I was reading something about Christianity and Republicanism in my Bible's commentary.

Benjamin Rush wrote a letter to Thomas Jefferson saying
The verse it associated that to is 2 Peter 2:19, but verse 18 goes with it well and verse 21 proves their own damnation.

18 "For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error."
19 "While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage."
21 "For had it been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them."

Means they promise all the things that make us happy while making our spirits dirty, promiscuity, homosexuality, damning the church. It would be better for them to not know God than to know that God existed and to still keep doing what they do.

Ah my young man, you must grow a hide of alligator on your mission.  Down side to this is the rejection, up side is if the end of your life with thousands of rejections, rejoice if you can bring Just one soul to God.

BTW a great Prophet once said, that when faith in God causes harm to others, it is better to have no faith at all.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
Today in Chapel one of my teachers preached. Doctor Kieth Shumate, celebrated his 80th Birthday this year, and has been in the ministry for 50+ years. He isn't a charismatic man. He doesn't have the energy of tele-evangelists, but when he speaks you listen. The man has years of wisdom and knowledge of the Bible. You can hear it in his voice. It was a blessing and an honor to hear him today.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »
Today in Chapel one of my teachers preached. Doctor Kieth Shumate, celebrated his 80th Birthday this year, and has been in the ministry for 50+ years. He isn't a charismatic man. He doesn't have the energy of tele-evangelists, but when he speaks you listen. The man has years of wisdom and knowledge of the Bible. You can hear it in his voice. It was a blessing and an honor to hear him today.

It's not the messenger , It's the message.

While The Trappings of Slender & a Charismatic delivery may draw the crowds the simple power of the word and truth is what they take with them.  Sincerity is hard to fake.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
It's not the messenger , It's the message.

While The Trappings of Slender & a Charismatic delivery may draw the crowds the simple power of the word and truth is what they take with them.  Sincerity is hard to fake.

Like Joel Osteen, he has a stadium size church and preaches feel good messages that don't revolve around the Bible.  Though Doc would blow him away with his powerful messages and convictions that come from only the Bible.

Joel Osteen will tell you what you want to hear, but Doc will tell you what you don't want to hear and tell you why you should.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2012, 04:40:08 PM »
Like Joel Osteen, he has a stadium size church and preaches feel good messages that don't revolve around the Bible.  Though Doc would blow him away with his powerful messages and convictions that come from only the Bible.

Joel Osteen will tell you what you want to hear, but Doc will tell you what you don't want to hear and tell you why you should.

For some reason this reminds me of a Christan pastor from Indonesia that came to our little part of the word to pastor for the  Indonesions  that had found their way here.  

Very well known pastor in a Muslim country, a man in his early 80's that had been imprisoned for his work.

Now I had heard this story from 3 Indonesians that attended the service and all told the same story.  The old man seemed to be full of himself to start.  The Indonesian comunity had paid to have him come here and once here he began to request all kinds of things out side the contract.

Come the service, he was very late and when he took the pulpit he spoke of not Jesus but his works.    At the end of his speech they tell me he threw his hands in the air and claimed he was Gods new prophet and would live forever.-----He then fell to the floor with a heart attack.    

I admit I had to head to the locker room as I was laughing so hard my contacts were hanging off my chin.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »

I kinda like Joel Osteen , although his constant smiling is a suspected disingenuous put on. To me it's more of a conversation instead of preaching.

It's interesting he left his fathers church wanting nothing to do with it not only returning to work for it but take it over when pops died.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »
Had a run in with a primitive today at capitalist Starbucks.

Rode in on my bike, went inside got my iced coffee and sat down by myself. This chick who was sitting by the window went over to me and asked if she could sit with me, and I said sure. So she then complimented my bike saying she liked it, and thinks its great I'm helping out the environment and decided to tell me a little about her hybrid. Told her "Thanks, but really I can't afford a car, if I could it would be a Mini Cooper." I try to be nice and just smile as we talk. She asked me what I do for a living. Told her going to college for now. She told me college was too much for her and was stressing her out and she left, then she asked what I'm majoring in. Told her "Bachelor in Theology." then she asks what is that? I reply "I'm going to be a Baptist pastor, and you should visit my church I think you'd like it." Well she then suddenly had to go. That was the highlight of my day, which sucks due to the impending doom that is called Mid Terms next week.

Also I like small things, Mini Coopers, the new VW beetle is pretty sweet, Colt Detective Special .38 snub noses, but I love Big Money, Big Women, and Big Fun.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:41:33 PM by ColonelCarrots »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »
You're doing great, Colonel.  :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »
I had to play lobbyist, we were voting for when to take our midterms I suggested the days and gave my explanation. Legislative approved it so we are set for next week.

Last Friday I had to cook for the dinner I made mac and cheese. One girl doesn't like mac and cheese at all so she lost like 10 date-a-bility points.

I'm in charge of the house pretty much for the next two days while my parents are helping my Grandmother move to her new apartment. I'm so tired all the time waking up before 6 every morning and then having to ride my bike. So I just keep moving forward. What really sucks is waking up at 6 on the weekends out of habit even when I don't set my alarm.

Next Friday we may go golfing with all the college guys which would be great, I haven't used my clubs yet. Had them for like 3 years and they're brand new and hard to get since they're left handed.

Also I'm really looking forward to the day I'll be mentioned on a DU forum post. I have a bright and shiny future planned for myself.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »
Had a run in with a primitive today at capitalist Starbucks.

Rode in on my bike, went inside got my iced coffee and sat down by myself. This chick who was sitting by the window went over to me and asked if she could sit with me, and I said sure. So she then complimented my bike saying she liked it, and thinks its great I'm helping out the environment and decided to tell me a little about her hybrid. Told her "Thanks, but really I can't afford a car, if I could it would be a Mini Cooper." I try to be nice and just smile as we talk. She asked me what I do for a living. Told her going to college for now. She told me college was too much for her and was stressing her out and she left, then she asked what I'm majoring in. Told her "Bachelor in Theology." then she asks what is that? I reply "I'm going to be a Baptist pastor, and you should visit my church I think you'd like it." Well she then suddenly had to go. That was the highlight of my day, which sucks due to the impending doom that is called Mid Terms next week.

Also I like small things, Mini Coopers, the new VW beetle is pretty sweet, Colt Detective Special .38 snub noses, but I love Big Money, Big Women, and Big Fun.

One of my first major purchases once I was solidly employed after college was a Mini Cooper.  Still makes me smile when I drive it  :cheersmate:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 08:43:08 AM »

Last Friday I had to cook for the dinner I made mac and cheese. One girl doesn't like mac and cheese at all so she lost like 10 date-a-bility points.

Dude, you are aces for me, simply by that statement alone.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 02:22:01 PM »
Dude, you are aces for me, simply by that statement alone.

Thank you. This Friday I'm cooking for my own Birthday so I'm making Skyline Chili, or Cincinnati Chili.

Basically chili on spaghetti.

I made it for Sgt. Snuggle last time I visited. I have never seen him eat so much in my life.