Author Topic: Volkswagen Karmann Ghia  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
I got to park next to this car at the grocery store while I was picking up some beer for the weekend.  You can see my yellow MG B parked next to it... they're roughly the same size.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »
Ate Up With Motor has a great history of the Ghia.  It's worth reading, along with the rest of the site.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:15:20 PM »

I have full-sized pictures if anyone wants copies.  It was hard to get a good wide-angle, but the camera on this phone is pretty good.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »
Checker Cab Yellow

I'm jealous.  That Ghia has an awesome paint job.  The original owner of my car -- the one in Ohio -- did a shit job on the respray... it was repainted about four years ago and already has peeling clearcoat and huge stone chips.  I'll have to spend at least a grand and a couple days to prepare my car for a repaint at some point.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:53:30 AM by Chris_ »

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »
Another one of those cars that are cool to see, but I wouldn't want to drive (or even ride in very long).

My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:46:16 AM »
The closest I ever got to a VW was riding in the back seat of a friend's Beetle with a bent frame/pan. 

I'm intrigued by the air-cooled engine, but that's about all, although I was surprised how large this car looked.  The convertibles don't seem to come up past my knee.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:46:26 PM by Chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 12:51:56 AM »
What were they fiddling with under the hood of that Grand Am?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 12:55:51 AM »
I'm not sure.  It was a retired couple... I thought they were the owners of the VW at first and said Hi to them.  I didn't talk to them after that.

I didn't notice he was messing around with his car -- I was busy taking pictures.  They left shortly after.

Offline Undies

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 04:57:06 AM »
My 6th grade teacher, Miss Westbrook, drove that exact K-Ghia.  I remember us boys being captivated by the site of the beauty whenever Miss Westbrook drove it to school.

(Thanks for the link, Chris)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 06:30:40 AM »
My parents' first car was a Beetle.  I think it was a 1963.  They then traded that for a 1965 Squareback, then that for a 1970 Squareback.  Air-cooled engines all. 
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 07:56:49 AM »
Last time I saw a squareback, I came within minutes of buying it.  About 1996.  Oh well.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »
I just noticed the giant puddle of oil under the rear end of that car looks pretty fresh.  Oops.

Offline redkatz919

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
 :lmao: It's just marking it's spot, like Harley's- Triumph- or say MG.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 02:13:04 PM »
Last time I saw a squareback, I came within minutes of buying it.  About 1996.  Oh well.

The '65 came to a smashing end one day, as my mother was turning around in front of the house we were renting the top floor of.  We were T-boned by someone who was in a hot rod, and he was flooring the accelerator (down a residential street!).  When he got out of his car (damn near rolled the thing onto its' side, he hit it so hard), my mother recognized him as our insurance agent.  Whoops!

As I seem to remember it, we got the '70 Squareback rather quickly . . . :o
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 04:24:43 PM »
When he got out of his car (damn near rolled the thing onto its' side, he hit it so hard), my mother recognized him as our insurance agent.  Whoops!

As I seem to remember it, we got the '70 Squareback rather quickly . . . :o

:rofl:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
About a year after we first got married my husband bought a Karmann Ghia that ran and was in fair condition (it was light blue) he was going to redo it from top to bottom but eventually sold it before he got the chance. He bought a totaled Bug when he was 15 and did all the work on it except the new interior and paint job. He sold that and bought a used GTI which was our only car when we first got married. About three years after we were married he bought a used Scirocco. It was pretty cool back in the day.

I'm not positive on the year but it looked similar to this (it was black too):

My son has a 2001 GTI which he is working on the interior then he is going to trade it in on a new car. He got that car when he was 16, which was 7 years ago.  :bawl:

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »
About three years after we were married he bought a used Scirocco. It was pretty cool back in the day.

Was?  Try is!  I'd love to find one of the 16-valve models.  Do you remember if yours was the 8-valve or 16-valve?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 01:18:56 PM »
Was?  Try is!  I'd love to find one of the 16-valve models.  Do you remember if yours was the 8-valve or 16-valve?

I asked my husband, it was an 8-valve.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 02:54:28 AM »
Checker Cab Yellow

I'm jealous.  That Ghia has an awesome paint job.  The original owner of my car -- the one in Ohio -- did a shit job on the respray... it was repainted about four years ago and already has peeling clearcoat and huge stone chips.  I'll have to spend at least a grand and a couple days to prepare my car for a repaint at some point.

Nice VW

I'm glad no cops jumped out of the bushes when you were taking the pictures.  :lmao:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 09:58:18 AM »
I'm suspicious of engines that have wood in them........
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.