Author Topic: The worst car you ever owned  (Read 5822 times)

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: The worst car you ever owned
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 02:09:37 PM »
1988 Hyundai.
I had a friend who used to pronounce it "Houdini".
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 02:14:39 PM »
Hmmmm. If I remember right, U.S. cars with cat convertors started to be manufactured in 1975.

And GM started putting on dual wall exhaust pipes right around that time as well.  Unexplained power loss was rampant that year with the onset of fall winter.  Cold air on the outside pipe would cause the inside pipe to collapse and the vehicle would stalled out. 

I sold a lot of replacement GM V8 exhaust systems that year. :rotf:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »
Vega.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »
You have not known true frustration until you have owned one of these pieces of poop...

A 1979 Dodge Omni 024.  Same color and everything.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:58:40 PM by wasp69 »
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »
Mine was a 1978 Chevy Nova with a 305 and a 4-speed. The engine was okay, but all that smog bullshit on the engine made it suck gas like a 455 Olds mill.

Or maybe it was the tranny that kept the small V-8 running at 3,000 RPM at 70 mph.

The absolute worst part was the body. The paint looked like it had been put on with a paint brush and started flaking off in huge chunks about 3 months after I bought the damned thing new.

When I sold it after it had been totaled (a friend of mine was driving and a truck ran over the right rear quarter panel), some guy bought it from me and rebuilt it. He said he could have taken a feather duster and broken the damned car apart as the rust had just about obliterated the internal body parts.  :lmao:

HEY!! I got 18 mpg out of an Olds 98 I used to own as long as I kept my foot out of the secondaries!! It had that WONDERFUL 455!!  :)

The worst car I ever owned was a 1979 Datsun 310 GX, at least mechanically. First thing to go was the shifting fork in the tranny. That happened just AFTER the warranty expired. Then I had to do some work on a head gasket. THEN the tranny went out. Finally, I gave it to my Ex when we divorced because it was paid for and got great gas mileage.

I wouldn't mind owning another, but only for the gas mileage. Through Texas & New Mexico, I was getting 37 MPG on a trip from Norfolk, Va to San Diego, CA. At least I know how to work on them now!!  :)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 04:01:10 PM »
HEY!! I got 18 mpg out of an Olds 98 I used to own as long as I kept my foot out of the secondaries!! It had that WONDERFUL 455!!  :)

The worst car I ever owned was a 1979 Datsun 310 GX, at least mechanically. First thing to go was the shifting fork in the tranny. That happened just AFTER the warranty expired. Then I had to do some work on a head gasket. THEN the tranny went out. Finally, I gave it to my Ex when we divorced because it was paid for and got great gas mileage.

I wouldn't mind owning another, but only for the gas mileage. Through Texas & New Mexico, I was getting 37 MPG on a trip from Norfolk, Va to San Diego, CA. At least I know how to work on them now!!  :)

I have a very heavy foot. And I love the sound of secondaries kicking in. What can I say?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 04:08:37 PM »
I had a friend who used to pronounce it "Houdini".

In 1992 an old lady ran a stop sign and T-boned the passenger side and totaled it.  Her insurance company turned it into an 1989 Lincoln Town Car.  :-)

Thus ended my wife's fasination with "small" cars.  :yahoo:
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »
In 1992 an old lady ran a stop sign and T-boned the passenger side and totaled it.  Her insurance company turned it into an 1989 Lincoln Town Car.  :-)

Thus ended my wife's fasination with "small" cars.  :yahoo:
At least it was a good ending.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 04:44:44 PM »
Vega.

Heh.  My stepmom had a vega, and she always left her windows down and doors unlocked in the hopes someone would steal it. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »
Heh.  My stepmom had a vega, and she always left her windows down and doors unlocked in the hopes someone would steal it. 

Smart woman.  I have a friend who worked at a dealership back in the day.  He told men that when Vega's came in for the regular oil change it was not uncommon for them to hone the cylinders and change the rings without telling the customer.   :argh:
< watch this space for coming distractions >