Author Topic: Sirius, XM, or MP3?  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Sirius, XM, or MP3?
« on: September 09, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
I'm looking for some in-car entertainment for my trip to Texas and have roughly 24 hours of driving time scheduled.  The reception on my car radio is pretty lousy I'm thinking of using the AUX input on my car radio to connect a satellite radio or MP3 player.  I can get a Sirius receiver for under $50 and a la carte programming for $15/month that will let me choose 50 channels (talk, news, music).  On the other hand, I can get an MP3 player and burn a few dozen CDs, but that would limit me to music and no talk radio, news, or weather. 

Does anyone have a preference for XM or Sirius?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: Sirius, XM, or MP3?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 01:31:29 PM »
I'm looking for some in-car entertainment for my trip to Texas and have roughly 24 hours of driving time scheduled.  The reception on my car radio is pretty lousy I'm thinking of using the AUX input on my car radio to connect a satellite radio or MP3 player.  I can get a Sirius receiver for under $50 and a la carte programming for $15/month that will let me choose 50 channels (talk, news, music).  On the other hand, I can get an MP3 player and burn a few dozen CDs, but that would limit me to music and no talk radio, news, or weather. 

Does anyone have a preference for XM or Sirius?

My personal experience with XM and Sirius is that unless you are listening to talk radio type programs, you will be disappointed with the quality of the sound.  I've noticed traveling in certain parts of the country seem to get poorer quality than others. 

It might depend on the type of music you listen too, though.  With the stuff I listen to, you didn't know you were listening to satellite radio in Florida, for example, but it sounded terrible in eastern Colorado, like it was being channeled through homemade tin-can speakers.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »
I usually listen to heavy metal or hard rock when I drive.  I don't know if sound quality matters too much.

I'll be following the interstate through Arkansas to DFW.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
I would go with the MP3 player. Mostly for the simple fact that you will have more control over what you listen to. I had XM and it was like listening to local radio at times. you know, where you have to listen to 20 songs before you actually listen to one you like.

Something you could even do is this - Get Pandora for your phone. And make a radio station with that. All you have to do is put the type of music you like, or artist you like, and it will make a radio station of alike artists. I use Pandora on my directv, Computer, and at my office. I love it.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
I usually listen to heavy metal or hard rock when I drive.  I don't know if sound quality matters too much.

Satellite radio has always sounded 'good enough' for me going through Arkansas.  What car are you taking?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
I have Pandora on my computer, but no smartphone.  I would have to buy a phone and get a service plan.  If it's an Andriod phone, I can use iHeartRadio to keep up with talk and news.

Any suggestions? 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:44:50 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »
Satellite radio has always sounded 'good enough' for me going through Arkansas.  What car are you taking?
I was planning on driving the MG.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
I have Pandora on my computer, but no smartphone.  I would have to buy a phone and get a service plan.

Any suggestions? 

I was assuming that you already had a smart phone.

But if you asking about service, then I would go with Verizon Wireless and get an iPhone.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
I was planning on driving the MG.

Your balls, sir.  They are huge.  :cheersmate: 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »
I was assuming that you already had a smart phone.

But if you asking about service, then I would go with Verizon Wireless and get an iPhone.
Nope, the only phone I have is the cell phone I was issued for work and it doesn't do internet.

Offline Undies

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 02:17:24 PM »

Go with Sirius, especially if you plan to head-bang.  More selections.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »
Our radios have a USB plug, and we use a ZIP drive. On the trip to Arizona and back, I never used most of the music on the little thumb drive ZIP.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »
Sirius XM is the same company now.  They merged a couple of years ago I think.  My husband has satellite radio and I used to have it when we lived in Phoenix.  I had Sirius in Phoenix, before both companies merged.  I liked it a lot, but after awhile, it was no longer necessary because my commute was 10 minutes.  It was a waste of money.

For long road trips, I would definitely go with satellite radio.  I originally got Sirius when I took my road trip from Phoenix to WI.  I never had a signal issue and it worked great every where.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »
I have Pandora on my computer, but no smartphone.  I would have to buy a phone and get a service plan.  If it's an Andriod phone, I can use iHeartRadio to keep up with talk and news.

Any suggestions?

I have an android phone you could have. It's virgin mobile prepaid you can get unlimited data for 35 a month.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
If you need a stop in Fort Smith, let me know, but it has to be before friday (9/14). Your money will be no good here.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »
Woohoo!  I'm joining the 21st century.  Freeper is sending me his 3G Android phone.  It's Sprint, so their 3G is about half-a-megabyte per second... enough to do streaming music.

Party on, Wayne.

Offline Undies

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Party on, Garth!

That's real nice of Freeper.  I think everyone should take him off ignore.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 10:15:15 PM »
Party on, Garth!

That's real nice of Freeper.  I think everyone should take him off ignore.
The game is afoot.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »
If you need a stop in Fort Smith, let me know, but it has to be before friday (9/14). Your money will be no good here.
My vacation doesn't start until the 28th :rofl:

I'll be passing through Little Rock about 8pm.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 11:15:24 PM »
If you take the B, I would highly recommend AAA.  The last time I checked, they'll tow you up to 200 miles for a breakdown.  Whenever we take long trips in my personal cars, I always make sure my membership is not expired.   

Also, if you want, I can PM you my number, and if you end up with problems alongside the road, and have a question, I will do my best to answer it.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 11:18:48 PM »
I have Allstate.  I bought my Hagerty policy through my Allstate agent... I will have to call them and see if I can add it to my existing policy or if Hagerty has some kind of roadside assistance.

I was kind of counting on that.  I should have asked earlier.  This vacation is turning into more work than I anticipated.

I seem to remember the lady on the phone telling me my roadside assistance was separate from my regular policy since I was enrolled in the Allstate Motor Club as part of the roadside assistance.  I think I may be in luck.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:27:03 PM by Chris_ »

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 10:24:23 AM »
My vacation doesn't start until the 28th :rofl:

I'll be passing through Little Rock about 8pm.
I'll be firmly in Guam by then. With my luck I'll be the straw that tipped the island over.