Author Topic: Cable or Satellite?  (Read 25071 times)

Offline thundley4

Re: Cable or Satellite?
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »
I'm okay with Cox... sometimes.  They make me mad some days, but not enough for me to be like, "OMG I AM CANCELING BECAUSE YOU GUYS ARE ASS BAGS" or anything like that.

Build my own bundle (with no house phone, because we really don't need one...) is $176/mo after the six month promotional deal.  I don't even know about satellite dishes & the HOA yet.  I should just go (and stick with) Cox to avoid any possible hassle with the HOA.

Good point.  From what I've heard some HOAs have strict regulations where and if satellite dishes can be used.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »
For those of you with satellite, what are you using for internet access?

I have Phone and cable internet through comcast, Blast Tier. It isn't bad. 30 meg down is nice  :-)

I am going to be going strictly cell phones here soon. Of course, I will be keeping the internet.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
I have Phone and cable internet through comcast, Blast Tier. It isn't bad. 30 meg down is nice  :-)

I am going to be going strictly cell phones here soon. Of course, I will be keeping the internet.
Can you use your cellphone as an uplink for that satellite internet, or are you limited to using a 5Kb/s land line.

I remember rewiring the phone terminal in the house I was staying in just so I could get an extra 1/2-Kbs transfer rate on my dial-up modem.  I thought it was hot shit at the time.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Can you use your cellphone as an uplink for that satellite internet, or are you limited to using a 5Kb/s land line.

I remember rewiring the phone terminal in the house I was staying in just so I could get an extra 1/2-Kbs transfer rate on my dial-up modem.  I thought it was hot shit at the time.

I've seen things that show you how to turn your cell phone into a satellite phone. I never tried it, so I can't say if it works or not. If you are talking about wifi, you can as long as it is a wifi compatible phone. The speed will be a little slower because of it being wireless, but you won't really notice much.

As far as satellite internet with Directv, it is handled by Hughes Net.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
I have had Dish for quite a few years and I am very satisfied. Plus, since they bought Blockbuster you can get a free DVD every week or so in the mail, depending on how fast you watch movies.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »
Yeah, I remember Hughes Net.  We were selling them when I worked for Best Buy over a decade ago.

I'm just surprised they haven't found a better uplink than a dial-up land line. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »
Yeah, I remember Hughes Net.  We were selling them when I worked for Best Buy over a decade ago.

Yeah, satellite internet isn't a good thing to use if you game, or day trade. The lag will kill you.

Offline Undies

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Yeah, satellite internet isn't a good thing to use if you game, or day trade. The lag will kill you.

Yeah.  Try playing Words With Friends on a laptop in a Holiday Inn.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 10:15:40 PM »
I got switched to DirecTV when they bought out Primestar (God knows how many years ago); and I LOVE it. I can't imagine ever changing. I've called customer service a few times over the years and have always had pleasant experiences. They also show my Braves games that are broadcast on Peachtree TV...Dish does not do that. I do have problems with rain fade; but not many...and they don't last too long.

As for internet, CenturyLink has a bundle plan that will bill you for phone, internet, and DirecTV. I don't have that option since I already had DirecTV.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 03:50:22 AM »
When I had DirecTV, I had AT&T DSL and it sucked.

When I switched to Comcast, had to get a new computer, because the speed on cable pretty much blew up my computer. When it took 5 days to get a tech out for a service call on Comcast internet a couple of months ago, I was able to use my cell phone. I called Verizon and they turned my cell phone into a wifi hotspot, for $30/mo. Worked great, all I had to do was make sure that my phone was plugged into charger the whole time as it zapped the battery really quickly.

Can't remember what the speed is on knology, but I'm not noticing a difference from Comcast.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 07:55:45 AM »
When I had DirecTV, I had AT&T DSL and it sucked.

When I switched to Comcast, had to get a new computer, because the speed on cable pretty much blew up my computer. When it took 5 days to get a tech out for a service call on Comcast internet a couple of months ago, I was able to use my cell phone. I called Verizon and they turned my cell phone into a wifi hotspot, for $30/mo. Worked great, all I had to do was make sure that my phone was plugged into charger the whole time as it zapped the battery really quickly.

Can't remember what the speed is on knology, but I'm not noticing a difference from Comcast.

I never had a problem with Comcast tech support. I only had to call them maybe twice, and they were at my house the same day. Verizon the other hand took a week minimum to show up, and when they did, they didn't have anything they needed; so they end up rescheduling!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »
Yeah.  Try playing Words With Friends on a laptop in a Holiday Inn.

It depends how comfortable the person's lap is.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »

DirecTV had an agreement with Wildblue. You did not need a land line but at times the satellite signal was slow. It sucked.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 05:38:47 AM »
The HOA CANNOT forbid you to install a satellite dish per the FCC Telecommunications Act of 1997. The dish has to be less than 1 Meter, which almost all of them are nowadays. I got into a battle with my old HOA over this and they lost. ;)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 07:19:46 AM »
You can't find the 10 or 15 foot diameter dishes anymore.

Well, you probably could at a salvage yard. But they won't work.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »
My nephew has U-verse bundled (TV, phone, cable) in Baton Rouge. Most people's electricity came back on two days after the hurricane. His U-verse service did not come back on until the 6th day after the storm. That is a good reason not to bundle everything. Same thing happened after hurricane Gustav, Cox cable was off for several days after the electricity came back on. Glad I have Direct TV.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 04:56:46 PM »
Evil_Conservative were you expecting all these suggestions?  O-) :popcorn:

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

Of course she did.  :-)

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 05:13:02 PM »
Of course she did.  :-)

Young cute girls get all the attention.  :-)

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »

Yes.  That's why I ask anywhere I can find opinionated people.  :)
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
Yes.  That's why I ask anywhere I can find opinionated people.  :)

Do you have a mole at DU?  :lmao:

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2012, 05:40:18 PM »
Do you have a mole at DU?  :lmao:

No.  I tried that place out once, but their 1992 forum layout pissed me off.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
No.  I tried that place out once, but their 1992 forum layout pissed me off.

:rofl:

They would be happy to suggest what form of pay television has the best selection of gay & lesbian programing. On top of all the insigightful shows on how to scam the government of more money.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »

:rofl:

They would be happy to suggest what form of pay television has the best selection of gay & lesbian programing. On top of all the insigightful shows on how to scam the government of more money.

They would probably suggest Logo. They probably do a split screen where logo is on side and MSNBC is on the other. 

I blocked that station my house.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »
I had Comcast they suck. My wife insisted we use Comcast at the office because they offer commercial phone service (much cheaper), internet, and basic TV. They insisted we would get "preferred service" for commercial account.  :rotf:

At home I will never go back to Comcast.  :censored:

Had Dish and Direct TV, always had to realign the satellite dish on BOTH after the "professional installation", one guy (don't remember which), did NOT want to go into the attic.  :hammer:

I now have FIOS (not available in all areas). They are OK but......

John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne