Author Topic: Clean and shine wood floors  (Read 1561 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Clean and shine wood floors
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:36:29 PM »
There was a thread started some months back on how to bring the shine back to wood floors. With all the mess that the stair construction has made my wood floors are a mess. The finish on my floors are very mat and distressed. I like the distressed look but at times I wished I picked a different finish. I love what it looks like when it's damp after moping before I dry it.

Since I will be doing a lot of cleaning of the floors when my husband finishes the steps I did a little Nadining and found a tip: cooking oil and white vinigar (equal parts).

You dip a cloth in the solution, wipe it on then buff with a clean dry towel. I won't lie, it is going I take me a LONG time to do all of the floors and my knees will be sore but the test area I did looks GREAT. It's not slippery and does not leave foot prints as long as you buff it well.

I don't know if this will work on high gloss wood floors but on my low luster wood floors it looks great.

Offline Zeus

Re: Clean and shine wood floors
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »
Mayonnaise works on small scratches also.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »
We've got very nice, highly polished wood floors -- BUT the dogs have done a number on 'em.

When we sell this house (prolly in 7-8 years or so), I want to get that really, really thick epoxy coating where it looks like a bowling alley.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
I've used a steamer with a microfiber pad with great results.

As for your knees.

$11 at Home Depot and they save your knees.