Author Topic: screen capture utility  (Read 4687 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
screen capture utility
« on: May 24, 2008, 07:54:23 AM »
Hey, can someone post a link to where one can download one of those "screen-capture" thingamajiggies?

Our old home had one on a "stickie," but I could never get it to work.

The deal is, the venom-level of the primitives, especially the Obamaite primitives, is reaching new highs, or rather, new lows--it's the worst I've ever seen Skins's island--and I'm sure sooner or later, if it hasn't already happened, an Obamaite primitive is going to make some comment regarding the worthier Democrat candidate, threatening physical harm or something to her, and I'm hoping one of us can catch it before my fellow alum Skins sees it and deletes it.

I'm not sure why I could never get the program suggested over at our old home to work, but I couldn't, and so let it go.

Thanks.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Schadenfreude

Re: screen capture utility
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 07:59:03 AM »
I use MWsnap, it's freeware.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mwsnap.html
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 08:40:43 AM »
I use MWsnap, it's freeware.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mwsnap.html

Thank you, madam.

I'll try that in a bit.  I got to go check up on some dogs now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:36:50 AM »
There's a screen capture function built into Windows.  Press the Print Screen button on your keyboard (mine is next to the Scroll Lock and Pause/Break buttons).  Open MS Paint and select Paste from the Edit menu.  Instant screencap.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 11:44:56 AM »
There's a screen capture function built into Windows.  Press the Print Screen button on your keyboard (mine is next to the Scroll Lock and Pause/Break buttons).  Open MS Paint and select Paste from the Edit menu.  Instant screencap.

But usually you have to crop, save and upload so the image is postable. The mwsnap utility lets you select the entire desktop or a variable snap of your choosing.   

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »
You're right.  I'm used to doing that in MS Paint so it's the first thing I use for a screencap.  It does let you save in different formats (not just the ungodly-large 24-bit Bitmap).

I also like the File --> Save As --> Web Archive, single file (*.mht) option in IE.  Lets you save the whole page as a single file for future reference.  I have a few nasty DU pages stored for my personal entertainment.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 11:53:41 AM »
You're right.  I'm used to doing that in MS Paint so it's the first thing I use for a screencap.  It does let you save in different formats (not just the ungodly-large 24-bit Bitmap).

I also like the File --> Save As --> Web Archive, single file (*.mht) option in IE.  Lets you save the whole page as a single file for future reference.  I have a few nasty DU pages stored for my personal entertainment.

Oh I have never used the mht.... it may come in handy for archiving purposes.  :-)

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 04:06:25 PM »
Well, I'll be.

I tried what Chris suggested, and it looks to be the easiest and quickest way.

However, it works on Explorer only, and not on Firefox too?

apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »
Well, it appears to work on Firefox too.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »
Hot damn.

I got the primitives nailed, the next time they make comments so venomous they repel even Skins, and so he deletes them.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »
Quote from: franksolich
Well, it appears to work on Firefox too.

Works for most applications actually.

ALT-PRTSCN , will do the same thing except it only "dumps" the active window , not the entire screen contents.