Author Topic: Minor Leaguer Traded for 10 Baseball Bats in Texas  (Read 1351 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Minor Leaguer Traded for 10 Baseball Bats in Texas
« on: May 24, 2008, 05:22:16 AM »
Kind of insulting, don't 'cha think?  But, there is a reason . . .

Minor Leaguer Traded for 10 Baseball Bats in Texas

Friday, May 23, 2008

McALLEN, Texas —  During three years in the low minors, John Odom never really made a name for himself until he got traded for a bunch of bats.

"I don't really care," he said Friday. "It'll make a better story if I make it to the big leagues."

For now, Odom is headed to the Laredo Broncos of the United League. They got him Tuesday from the Calgary Vipers of the Golden Baseball League for a most unlikely price: 10 Prairie Sticks Maple Bats, double-dipped black, 34-inch, C243 style.

"They just wanted some bats, good bats — maple bats," Broncos general manager Jose Melendez said.

According to the Prairie Sticks Web site, their maple bats retail for $69 each, discounted to $65.50 for purchases of six to 11 bats.

The "reason" he left the Calgary Vipers is in the next paragraph . . . and it's at the link.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,357927,00.html

I'm reminded of something Anna Benson complained about one time--she said that her husband Kris, now toiling with the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (Phillthies' AAA), was traded for a "bucket of balls."  Said "bucket of balls" (John Maine) is 5-3 for the Mets this year.  (Yes, the Mets suck, and hopefully, Willie gets fired tomorrow night.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Re: Minor Leaguer Traded for 10 Baseball Bats in Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
This story has a sad end.

Updated: March 4, 2009, 8:56 AM ET
Tragic end for John "Bat Man" Odom

ESPN.com news services

Ask the most hard-core baseball fan about John C. Odom and most likely you'll get a blank stare. Yet millions of people have heard of the slender right-hander.

He was "Bat Man" or "Bat Guy" or "Bat Boy," the minor league baseball player traded for 10 maple bats.

It became a big joke last May when word of the unusual swap jumped off the sports pages, and the former San Francisco Giants prospect went from pitcher to punch line.

"People are like, 'I'd kill myself' and stuff," Odom said at the time, dismissing any such notion.

Three weeks after the trade, he abruptly left the team.

I'm not sure if I could live with this, if it happened to me, either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3950464
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:52:14 AM »
they should have just released him.  trading him for a bunch of bats was reprehensible.  I hope those involved in the intentionally humiliating trade never have another decent nights' sleep.

trading a person for equipment reduces the person to a  thing.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:32:20 AM »
they should have just released him.  trading him for a bunch of bats was reprehensible.  I hope those involved in the intentionally humiliating trade never have another decent nights' sleep.

trading a person for equipment reduces the person to a  thing.

I'm pretty sure that The Eternal Father takes these things into account, and will judge accordingly.  All involved.

Chase her.