Author Topic: Gardening - RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2008  (Read 6427 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Gardening - RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2008
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »

The annual Chelsea Flower Show has been going on this week. It is the biggest and best of the garden and flower shows here and for keen gardeners here are some links to reports on the show.

link
link

I went and I thought I would share some pictures that I took.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Gardening - RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:07:55 PM »
Ah, the historically-famous Chelsea Flower Show; for some reason, I was thinking it was later than right now.

I'd also speculated you, madam, would be posting on this most excellent event, when it happened.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 04:34:43 PM »

The annual Chelsea Flower Show has been going on this week. It is the biggest and best of the garden and flower shows here and for keen gardeners here are some links to reports on the show.

link
link

I went and I thought I would share some pictures that I took.

That first one belongs in your signature.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 04:41:55 PM »
Good idea lug-nut! Thanx

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »
I had to go look up the history of the show, as all I ever knew about it is that it's a really big event, and possibly the most important gardening show in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Flower_Show

The show was originally called the 'Royal Horticultural Society's Great Spring Show', first held in 1862, at the RHS garden in Kensington. In 1888 when that garden was closed the RHS found itself without a site in central London at which to hold the show. It was then moved to Temple Gardens near the Embankment, where it was held under canvas until 1911.

In 1912, the Temple Show was cancelled to make way for the Royal International Horticultural Exhibition. Sir Harry Veitch, the great nurseryman, secured the grounds of the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, for this one-off event. It proved such a good site for an exhibition that the Great Spring Show was moved there in 1913, where it has taken place almost every year since.

Despite the First World War, the show was held 1914 – 1916, but was cancelled in 1917 and 1918.

By the roaring 1920s, the Chelsea Flower Show was back in full swing, the famous Chelsea tea parties were established and Royal visits resumed. In 1926 the show was held a week late due to the General Strike.

In 1937, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth celebrated their Coronation Year, and to mark the occasion, a superb Empire Exhibition was staged. It featured wattles from Australia, pines from Canada, brilliant gladioli from East Africa and even a big prickly pear from Palestine.

The show was cancelled during the Second World War, as the land was required by the War Office for an anti-aircraft site. Some doubt arose as to whether the show would resume in 1947. The majority of exhibitors wanted a postponement, as stocks of plants were low, staff much depleted and fuel for greenhouses was obtainable only with special permits, but Lord Aberconway (then RHS President) and the RHS Council felt strongly that the show should resume as soon as possible. As it turned out, the show went ahead in 1947 and it was a great success.

The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 was sufficient cause for a flower show that reflected the celebratory mood of the country. Most members of the Royal family attended that year. Unfortunately, due to a relentless stream of other commitments, the only Royal unable to attend was the Queen herself!

The Chelsea Flower Show receives a lot of publicity. It is attended by 157,000 visitors each year (a number limited by the capacity of the 11 acre ground), and all tickets must be purchased in advance. From 2005 the show was increased from four days to five, with the first two days only open to RHS members. The show is extensively covered on television by the BBC. An official DVD of the show is produced on behalf of the RHS by Twofour.

Several members of the British Royal Family attend a preview of the show, as part of the royal patronage of the RHS. The area of land devoted to show gardens increased steadily between 1970 and 2000 and the show has become an important venue for watching trends. New plants are often launched at the show and the popularity of older varieties revived under the focus of the horticultural world. It is the garden design equivalent of a catwalk at a fashion show.

There are four grades of award presented, gold, silver-gilt, silver and bronze, in each of the categories listed below. Bronze grade exhibits do not actually receive a medal.

Awards categories

* Flora Gardens and floral exhibits
    * Hogg Exhibits of trees
    * Knightian Exhibits of vegetables, including herbs
    * Lindley Exhibits of special educational or scientific interest
    * Grenfell Exhibits of pictures, photographs, floral arrangements and floristry

Special awards

* Best Show Garden Award
    * Best Courtyard Garden Award
    * Best Chic Garden Award
    * Best City Garden Award
    * RHS Sundries Bowl
    * RHS Junior Display Trophy
    * RHS Floral Arrangement Trophies
    * RHS Floristry Trophies
    * Show Certificates of merit
    * Certificates for Junior displays
    * RHS President's Award
apres moi, le deluge

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »
Frank, it really is an amazing spectacle with gardens and exhibitors from around the world.  I heard lots of American accents at the show so I am sure some trends will be making their way to the US. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 05:03:20 PM »
Frank, it really is an amazing spectacle with gardens and exhibitors from around the world.  I heard lots of American accents at the show so I am sure some trends will be making their way to the US. 
Hey, we-unz don't hayuv accents, yawl do.   :uhsure:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what sort of admission do they charge?

I'm sure it's more than sixpence as it once was.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what sort of admission do they charge?

I'm sure it's more than sixpence as it once was.

It is about $55 for members of the RHS and $80 or so for non members for a full day (8am - 8pm) ticket, you can get a ticket for the last few hours of the day for slightly less than half price.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 11:13:25 PM »
Beautiful.

Offline Flame

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 07:14:27 AM »
Very Pretty!

(but I can't imagine spending $80 to see flowers!!!)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 11:50:07 PM »
Very pretty!
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 02:12:58 AM »
Great pictures, and even more great pictures at the links you posted.

You even found a fancy marijuana plant:

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 02:23:52 AM »
Great pictures, and even more great pictures at the links you posted.

You even found a fancy marijuana plant:

LOL I wonder if you could get away with selling dried acer leaves to Dummies in place of dope.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »
I watched an amazing British movie about a bunch of prisoners trying to get their work into one of the flower shows. It was called Greenfingers.  If you haven't seen it you should check it out Bijou!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203540/
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 02:09:56 AM »
I watched an amazing British movie about a bunch of prisoners trying to get their work into one of the flower shows. It was called Greenfingers.  If you haven't seen it you should check it out Bijou!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203540/
I haven't seen it, I'll keep an eye out for it it has some relatively well known British names in it so it should be available. Thanks mamacags.