Author Topic: electric train  (Read 3284 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
electric train
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:24:02 PM »
Now, this is something I always dreamed about, for when I get older and affluent and perhaps a little more self-indulgent.

I spent my childhood alongside the Platte River of Nebraska (I lived in the Sandhills during my adolescence), alongside which follows the most important paved highway in America, the New York City-San Francisco Highway 30, the most important interstate highway in America, the New York City-San Francisco Interstate 80, and before that, the most important railway line in America, the Omaha-Ogden (Utah) Union Pacific Railway.

This was before my time, but the most famous passenger trains in American commerce and history passed through my childhood town; in the steam era, of course the Chicago-San Francisco Overland Limited, but during the diesel age, the world-renown City of Los Angeles, City of San Francisco, City of Portland, and City of Denver, 14-18 long yellow passenger-cars on each train.

It's not anything I'm going to do tomorrow, but sooner or later, I'd like to acquire an HO-sized replica of those famous Union Pacific streamliners.

When I was an infant and toddler, the older brothers had an O-scale electric train set-up on three 4'x8' sheets of 1" plywood put together.  It was in the dining room of the house; it didn't present any problems, because the house had a barn-sized kitchen too, where one could casually or formally dine anyway.

I'd like to have such a set-up, with all these Union Pacific passenger trains, on four 4'x8' sheets of 1" plywood, but it's my understanding the curvature on HO-scale is much wider than the curvature on the old O-scale.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: electric train
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:11:46 PM »
Now, this is something I always dreamed about, for when I get older and affluent and perhaps a little more self-indulgent.

I spent my childhood alongside the Platte River of Nebraska (I lived in the Sandhills during my adolescence), alongside which follows the most important paved highway in America, the New York City-San Francisco Highway 30, the most important interstate highway in America, the New York City-San Francisco Interstate 80, and before that, the most important railway line in America, the Omaha-Ogden (Utah) Union Pacific Railway.

This was before my time, but the most famous passenger trains in American commerce and history passed through my childhood town; in the steam era, of course the Chicago-San Francisco Overland Limited, but during the diesel age, the world-renown City of Los Angeles, City of San Francisco, City of Portland, and City of Denver, 14-18 long yellow passenger-cars on each train.

It's not anything I'm going to do tomorrow, but sooner or later, I'd like to acquire an HO-sized replica of those famous Union Pacific streamliners.

When I was an infant and toddler, the older brothers had an O-scale electric train set-up on three 4'x8' sheets of 1" plywood put together.  It was in the dining room of the house; it didn't present any problems, because the house had a barn-sized kitchen too, where one could casually or formally dine anyway.

I'd like to have such a set-up, with all these Union Pacific passenger trains, on four 4'x8' sheets of 1" plywood, but it's my understanding the curvature on HO-scale is much wider than the curvature on the old O-scale.

It is possible to place an oval of HO gauge track on a single 4'x8' sheet of plywood.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: electric train
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:47:39 PM »

It is possible to place an oval of HO gauge track on a single 4'x8' sheet of plywood.

He's refering to the correct scale of the curves. Many people don't understand the size an HO needs to be to get scale "right" or the cars will overhang the curve incorrectly. Model Railroader fan here!
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.