Author Topic: primitives discuss things they don't eat now  (Read 1918 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss things they don't eat now
« on: August 17, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1147754

Oh my.

I think I'll check off mine as the primitives bring them up.

hedgehog (27,957 posts)

Things you ate as a kid that you'd never eat now because of your health:

Spam

Corned beef hash

Hot dogs

Koolaid

franksolich dined on Spam one time, as a little lad.  franksolich hasn't touched the stuff since.

I've never gone within ten miles of corned beef hash.

I dined on hot dogs occasionally as a little lad, but they had to first be burned black.  The last time franksolich had a hot dog was probably when Richard Nixon was in the White House.

I never messed with Kool-Aid, not even as a kid; colored sugar water damaging to the teeth.

NRaleighLiberal (22,951 posts)

1. Oreos (by the roll). Potato chips (by the bag). many a bologna sandwich.

Beefaroni - every Saturday, it seemed. My mom was not a good cook and just kinda shoved junk food at me - and it took me over 50 years to really get a grip and get healthy (food intake-wise).

I dined on Oreo cookies as a little lad, but probably not since Lyndon Johnson was in the White House.

I dine on potato chips once in a while; either Lay's barbequed flavor, or the sour-cream flavor.

Bologna sandwiches--now, that's a horror story here.  My younger brother and I were the last in a large family, and frequently baby-sat by our resentful older siblings, which of course included feeding us.

Fried bologna (with the edges cut so it wouldn't curl) on white bread with fake mayonnaise.

At least they used to burn my bologna before shoving it at me.

franksolich has had Beef-a-Roni on occasion, but probably not since Gerald Ford was in the White House.

Viva_La_Revolution (25,792 posts)

2. Hamburger helper

hot dogs

soda

I still eat mac and cheese. just not a whole box by myself

Hamburger Helper, never; hot dogs, already mentioned; soda, Diet Dr. Pepper only; boxed macaroni and cheese, rarely, maybe two or three times a year if that much.

Ya Basta (67 posts)

3. Pizza, cheese burgers, hot dogs...

Baloney

Frozen burritos

Canned tamales

Canned beefaroni

Chili Cheese Fries

Macaroni and cheese

franksolich dines on pizza about five times a week, going to the convenience store in town to buy a slice of pepperoni pizza for supper.

Once in a while, maybe six times a year, I go to the Valentino's place in the big city; for those who don't know, Valentino's makes the best pizza in the world.  After dining at Valentino's, one never wants to try another brand of pizza--no way--and I haven't.

As for cheeseburgers, I've had them, and still have them--maybe once or twice a year these days--but was never partial to them.  Plain hamburgers, pressed down hard on the grill so as to squeeze out every drop of grease, are another story.  Maybe ten times a week, a hamburger from the VFW Club or one of the two bars in town.

Hot dogs, Beef-a-Roni, bologna, already mentioned above.

Frozen burritos, canned tamales, not on your life.  Never have, never will.

I have no idea what "chili cheese fries" are; I've probably seen them, but they probably didn't look appetizing, so I ignored them.

kdmorris (3,842 posts)

4. So many...

Kool-aid, sugared cereal, pancakes/pancake syrup, cake, candy, pie... pretty much all of the sweets. I add some in occasionally, but so rarely as to be given up.

Fast Food (any of them)

Kool-Aid, already mentioned.

Sugared cereal, never; just plain cereal (corn flakes whatnot) with milk and an enormous dollop of sour cream.

Pancakes and pancake syrup, a lot, as a kid and now.  With real butter, not fake butter.

Cake rarely, and only vanilla, no others.

Candy; well, the last package of candy I recall purchasing, Ronald Reagan was in the White House.

Pies--cherry pie is never safe within a mile of franksolich, and I don't mean just a slice, but the whole pie.  Apple pie too is fine.....provided the apples are cooked all the way through, which unfortunately they usually aren't.  Pumpkin pie, sure.  But no other sorts of pies, just those three.

franksolich dines on fast food two times a week (I'm very regular in my habits), but as there's no problem with weight, the blood pressure, the blood cholesterol, &., &c., &c., it's not enough to do any harm.
And now, here we have the defrocked warped primitive, who's as mean and ugly as a snake:

Warpy (64,142 posts)

5. Wheat. I'm allergic and that one hurts.

That alone cut out 95% of the junk food I'd gravitate to like Triscuits and Wheat Thins when I wanted to comfort eat.

I don't eat sickly sweet supermarket chocolate. I'm on the hard stuff, free trade high chocolate liquor content bitter chocolate.

So.....now the defrocked warped primitive's "allergic" to wheat, too.

The defrocked warped primitive over the years has provided a long list of things she's "allergic" to, but there's something singularly peculiar about her "allergies."

It seems the defrocked warped primitive is "allergic" to only things good for her, but not allergic to anything bad for her.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Mr Mannn

Re: primitives discuss things they don't eat now
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »
Grapes and raisins.

when I was just a youngun, we all had grapes for snacks. My sister wanted mine and told me they were eyeballs.
I haven't touched them since and I'm 54.

Raisins are just zombie grapes.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »
Grapes and raisins.

when I was just a youngun, we all had grapes for snacks. My sister wanted mine and told me they were eyeballs.
I haven't touched them since and I'm 54.

Raisins are just zombie grapes.

Raisins are one of my idiosyncrasies, too.

When I was a little lad, the older brothers (not the sisters, who pulled no such tricks on me) convinced me that raisins cause freckles.

I long ago learned that's not really true, but lo these many years past, I still don't do raisins.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:07:16 PM »
Mayo. Can't stand the stuff.

Don't like marshmallows, eggplant, brussel sprouts, or caramel.

Not a big sweets person, but LOVE apple, chocolate ice box pie. Banana ice box pie, too. A good key lime pie as well.

Not big into the "exotic" fruits. Apples, oranges, apricots, and kiwi my favorites.

I'm a chocoholic.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:08:33 PM »
Lets see - No soda - at all - ever.

I still eat most things I ate as a kid, but usually in considerably reduced quantities.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »
I'm a chocoholic.

Now remember, I'm not passing judgement on you, or any other decent and civilized people.

<<passes judgement only on primitives, who have more hypocrisies than there's stars in the sky.

Despite her disclaimer, the defrocked warped primitive is a ravenous consumer of chocolate; she probably buys and eats it by the bushel.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »
.....but usually in considerably reduced quantities.

You know, I wonder if our stomachs shrink as we age.

When I was in college, I could down a whole entire large Valentino's pizza all by my own self.

About halfway between back then and now, I found all I could take on my own was a small Valentino's pizza.

Nowadays, I run to the convenience store in town, and pick up a single slice of pepperoni pizza ($1.69) for supper, and once I down that, I'm stuffed to the gills.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »
I used to eat the rights of the oppressed 99%. Went straight to my thighs.

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:28 PM »
Now remember, I'm not passing judgement on you, or any other decent and civilized people.

<<passes judgement only on primitives, who have more hypocrisies than there's stars in the sky.

Despite her disclaimer, the defrocked warped primitive is a ravenous consumer of chocolate; she probably buys and eats it by the bushel.

no worries. Chocolate is like pie....it.knows no politics.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »

When I was in college, I could down a whole entire large Valentino's pizza all by my own self.

About halfway between back then and now, I found all I could take on my own was a small Valentino's pizza.

Nowadays, I run to the convenience store in town, and pick up a single slice of pepperoni pizza ($1.69) for supper, and once I down that, I'm stuffed to the gills.

Perhaps -

For example: The missus cooked up one of her most excellent homemade chicken pies for supper, and there was once a time where I could easily eat half of it. Now I'm down to just one slice before I am full. In a way I suppose its good, as there will still be chicken pie left for tomorrow.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »
De gustibus non disputandum.

I love Spam, hot dogs, the occasional canned corned beef sandwich (Warmed in the nuke oven, with margarine on white bread), and Braunschweiger on light rye with seeds and margarine or butter.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 06:31:34 PM »

I love Spam, hot dogs, the occasional canned corned beef sandwich (Warmed in the nuke oven, with margarine on white bread), and Braunschweiger on light rye with seeds and margarine or butter.

Oh man.

You would've gotten along great with my father.  He loved those sorts of things.

And among other things, scrapple.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »
I'm not a biggie on eggplant, or calamari, or caviar; and as for desserts, there isn't much I won't eat.  Getting back to the eggplant, I will eat it if my wife makes it as eggplant parm.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »
Most things I used to eat that I do not now are based on taste.

There used to be these things called "pizza burgers" which were like a hamburger with some sort of pizza sauce on the inside.

As a very young child I loved these things. When I rediscovered them as a young adult, I eagerly tried one only to discover that must only taste good to humans under 5 and dogs.

But I don't really dwell on it.

When I was very young I used to eat formula and then Gerber's baby food.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 06:41:41 PM »

the occasional canned corned beef sandwich (Warmed in the nuke oven, with margarine on white bread)

I enjoy this, but with rye or oat bread and mustard, and with a glop of coleslaw and horseradish on top. Damn. Now I wish I wasn't full of chicken pie.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
Oh man.

You would've gotten along great with my father.  He loved those sorts of things.

And among other things, scrapple.

Srapple is something I eat only once or twice a month now. Cooked "Pennsylvania Dutch" style--dredged through seasoned flour and fried in an iron pan is best. There's an art to keeping scrapple in one piece.

Don't eat hot dogs much any more.

As a kid, I LOVED TastykakeTM lemon pies. They're a very rare treat, now.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 07:19:46 PM »
I used to eat the rights of the oppressed 99%. Went straight to my thighs.
Nicely done. By the way, have you introduced yourself in your own introduction thread ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »
Nicely done. By the way, have you introduced yourself in your own introduction thread ?
Thank you, and yes I have.

Offline andhe78

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »
What's funny, growing up we were poor, but being farmers dad put five cows and a dozen hogs in the freezer every year (very large family.)  I had grain fed steaks four times a week, but didn't have a bologna sandwich till I left home.  I still enjoy them, seems like a treat every time I have bologna.

As for eating less as you get older, depends on what you're doing.  I eat the same amount I did at seventeen (enough for three guys) and have put on four pounds over the last fifteen years.  However, I'm 82 inches tall and work a job so physically demanding that my newest guy lost over forty pounds his first month with me.  Not looking forward to having to cut back when I finally decide to move to a desk job.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 08:45:54 PM »
About the only thing I liked as a kid that I will not eat anymore is creamed spinach. 

Everything else I'm okay with.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »
The DUmmies didn't mention a single thing that I don't like.

Notice all the things they don't eat were English words.

If you wrote Hamburger Helper in French, they'd love the stuff.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »

I had a hollow leg until I was about 30 or so.  It's relocated itself over my belt.  I don't eat quite as much as I used to, but my eyes are just as big as they ever were.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 09:01:21 PM »
The DUmmies didn't mention a single thing that I don't like.

Notice all the things they don't eat were English words.

If you wrote Hamburger Helper in French, they'd love the stuff.
I don't know why they call it hamburger helper. It does great by itself.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
Pasta and powdered gravy.  Great stuff.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 02:27:24 AM »
Pasta and powdered gravy.  Great stuff.

It does just fine by itself...
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkExpbnjsX8[/youtube]

REAL tomato ketchup Eddie ???