Author Topic: Help me oh mighty men!  (Read 5006 times)

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
Help me oh mighty men!
« on: August 16, 2012, 07:12:12 AM »
Help!  Ok, my van that I got in April  :rant: turned on a MIL light (shows a little engine) when I read it it says that I have a loose gas cap or bad gas, etc. 

I filled up with Shell gas on Monday and started having problems a day later it seems with the car cranking up and not running smooth.  Then when I would accelerate I would get some light bucking.  Also seems like my temperture is going up just slightly. Usually stays right at the mid point and not it is going up 3-4 notches on the indicator.

Do you think this is something serious?  the book says to take  it in if the light stays on with several uses on a few days.  If it starts flashing then I may have some serious loss of power or damage to my catalytic converter.

Thoughts?   :bawl:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
Re: Help me oh mighty men!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 07:16:19 AM »
A malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), also known as a check engine light, is a tell-tale to indicate malfunction of a computerized engine management system. It is found on the instrument panel of most automobiles. When illuminated, it is typically either an amber or red color. On vehicles equipped with OBD-II, the light has two stages: steady (indicating a minor fault such as a loose gas cap or failing oxygen sensor) and flashing (indicating a severe fault, that could potentially damage the catalytic converter if left uncorrected for an extended period). When the MIL is lit, the engine control unit stores a fault code related to the malfunction, which can be retrieved with a scan tool and used for further diagnosis. The malfunction indicator lamp usually bears the legend check engine, service engine soon, or a pictogram of an engine. In the United States, specific functions are required of the MIL by EPA regulations.[1]

False triggering

Higher amounts of methanol/ethanol (or other additives) than the engine is equipped to handle may trigger the MIL(see E85). These burn differently from gasoline, and the EFI system may mistakenly interpret the oxygen sensor's readings as being incorrect. Oxygenated gasoline can cause this false triggering in early EFI systems.[citation needed]

I got that e85 shit  :rant:  Damnit!  if it's bad gas what can I do?

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:20:34 AM »
I'd LOVE to help, but every time I read one of your posts, my mind goes to the gutter:

Then when I would accelerate I would get some light bucking.  Also seems like my temperture is going up just slightly. Usually stays right at the mid point and not it is going up 3-4 notches

:hyper:   :naughty:   :hyper:

Seriously, is there a gas additive that you could use?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:32:30 AM »
That is like the ee cummings poem,  "she Being brand new"....

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »
I'd LOVE to help, but every time I read one of your posts, my mind goes to the gutter:

:hyper:   :naughty:   :hyper:

Seriously, is there a gas additive that you could use?

Then when I would accelerate I would get some light bucking.  Also seems like my temperture is going up just slightly. Usually stays right at the mid point and not it is going up 3-4 notches

GAWD!  It just comes out naturally doesn't it for me?   :lmao:

Oopps did it again!

Damnit!  I can't stop!   :lmao:

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:46:49 AM »
Seriously, the only thing I've heard of is K100, but it's not widely available.

You could posdibly try Stabil Auto, but I'm not a car expert. Then wait for your tank to empty, and never buy that again.

Or siphon the crap out and start over.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »
e85 is not gas.  Drain that crap from your tank or dillute it with 93 octane.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
e85 is not gas.  Drain that crap from your tank or dillute it with 93 octane.

I didn't buy e85.  I bought the regular unleaded gas with that 10% ethanol in it.  I was saying my vehicle is one of those E85 vehicles that can use either or.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 08:15:37 AM »
How full is your tank?

Easiest thing to do is drain the tank and start with fresh gas.  Find a local garage to do it for you... they probably won't change more than half an hour of labor.  Or you could do it yourself.  Your tank should have a drain plug (bolt) on the bottom somewhere (or you could siphon it into the neighbor's garden :whistling:).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:18:54 AM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 08:38:55 AM »
How full is your tank?

Easiest thing to do is drain the tank and start with fresh gas.  Find a local garage to do it for you... they probably won't change more than half an hour of labor.  Or you could do it yourself.  Your tank should have a drain plug (bolt) on the bottom somewhere (or you could siphon it into the neighbor's garden :whistling:).

Sure I hate them anyway!   :lmao:

It's only got about a 1/4 tank left.  Just let it run out?  should take 2 days or am I fixing to damage my 20th century automobile?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 08:49:17 AM »
Do you have a portable gas can?  Go buy a gallon of fresh gas.

1/4 tank is about 3-4 gallons.  I would siphon or drain the tank and start over.  Just don't run it dry or you could damage the fuel pump.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 08:51:01 AM »
Do you have a portable gas can?  Go buy a gallon of fresh gas.

1/4 tank is about 3-4 gallons.  I would siphon or drain the tank and start over.

Question.

Okay, so it seems she put the wrong sort of fuel in there.

What if, instead of bothering with all of this siphoning sweat-and-toil, she just filled the tank full with the proper fuel, thinning out, and ultimately getting rid of, the improper fuel?

Would that work?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
Yes, a full tank of fresh gas should dilute the stuff that's in there now.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
Yes. 

But that's no fun. :-)

I just wondered.

I never put the wrong fuel in a motor vehicle--I watch what I do--and so this is an experience I haven't had.

But to carry this on a little further, what if Gina had put diesel in there?  Would that work, putting in the appropriate fuel so as to thin out the diesel?

One doesn't think the motor would work so well, but that ultimately the diesel would be gone, and everything back to normal.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 09:16:46 AM »
It should if you have a very small amount in the tank.  I would probably drive it for a while and fill it up again repeatedly to continue dilluting the fuel in the tank until it's all gone.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »
It should if you have a very small amount in the tank.

Thanks.

I'm one of these people who, even if in a hurry, reads the octane label of the gasoline I propose to use, at the service-station pump before I punch down the lever.

Also, when pouring in oil, before I tip the bottle over, I re-read the label to be sure it's the right oil--especially if I'm using someone else's car or truck.

So far nothing bad's happened, but nobody's perfect.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »
I just wondered.

I never put the wrong fuel in a motor vehicle--I watch what I do--and so this is an experience I haven't had.

But to carry this on a little further, what if Gina had put diesel in there?  Would that work, putting in the appropriate fuel so as to thin out the diesel?

One doesn't think the motor would work so well, but that ultimately the diesel would be gone, and everything back to normal.

Diesel - I wouldn't mess with the "thinning out." Drain, flush, and start over. Diesel's a long way from gasoline.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
I just wondered.

I didn't put the wrong fuel in there!!   :rant:  I have bought gas there lots of times.  I got regular unleaded. 

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »
I didn't put the wrong fuel in there!!   :rant:  I have bought gas there lots of times.  I got regular unleaded. 

And you got the gas cap back on correctly?  Sometimes you don't get the cap on just right and the vehicle gets all 'I am so unhappy".   

Just another thought.  Bad gas has been known to happen even if it is the right gas.  Alcohol (e85) has a tendency to attract water.  :hammer:

I vote try some fresh gas.  I don't think I would get all concerned about draining the existing if you only have 1/4 tank.

You could also go bat those long lashes at the local dealer and ask him to read the computer code or find a friend with a reader.  Depending on the vehicle they use to sell a key device that would let you do it yourself by counting the flashes of the CEL o MIL or whatever they are calling the idiot light now a days.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
And you got the gas cap back on correctly?  Sometimes you don't get the cap on just right and the vehicle gets all 'I am so unhappy".   

Just another thought.  Bad gas has been known to happen even if it is the right gas.  Alcohol (e85) has a tendency to attract water.  :hammer:

I vote try some fresh gas.  I don't think I would get all concerned about draining the existing if you only have 1/4 tank.

You could also go bat those long lashes at the local dealer and ask him to read the computer code or find a friend with a reader.  Depending on the vehicle they use to sell a key device that would let you do it yourself by counting the flashes of the CEL o MIL or whatever they are calling the idiot light now a days.

EWWWW Autozone will do it for free and I don't have to bat or bounce anything  :naughty:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »
EWWWW Autozone will do it for free and I don't have to bat or bounce anything  :naughty:

And what did they tell you??    :whatever:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline CG6468

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »
Rule of thumb: Don't ever gas up when the semi is delivering. It stirs up whatever's on the bottom of the station's tanks, whether it's water or solid contaminants.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »
Wanna Tiger in your tank?   :naughty:

I don't think you can get "free reads" at Autozone, at least not here or I'd suggest that. The dealers filed a class action lawsuit to prevent it, so now you have to 1. buy one. 2. know someone with a reader, or 3. go to the dealer who will be MORE than happy to turn off the light for $29.99, then tell you what it said and how to fix it. How convenient.  :bird:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »

I don't think you can get "free reads" at Autozone, at least not here or I'd suggest that. The dealers filed a class action lawsuit to prevent it, so now you have to 1. buy one. 2. know someone with a reader, or 3. go to the dealer who will be MORE than happy to turn off the light for $29.99, then tell you what it said and how to fix it. How convenient.  :bird:

Dealer? Not where I come from. We call them "stealers".
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »

I have always gotten them free. Just walk in and ask them.   :p

I haven't gone yet to get it done.  Will this afternoon.  They will give me a printout of the code with the possible problems.