Author Topic: Las Vegas Leviathan going on an involuntary diet  (Read 3251 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Las Vegas Leviathan going on an involuntary diet
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021058957

Oh my.

Systematic Chaos (7,530 posts)

I doubt this will make the news anywhere, but the state of Nevada is BEHIND on SNAP payments.

This type of shit may be coming to a state near you soon, if it hasn't already. Anyway, here's the story.

My wife and I have been receiving SNAP (food stamps) for a while now, because the two of us are trying to live on less than $1,200 per month in the form of my disability payments. My wife looked for work for over a year and only managed to find a commission only "job" for a long-distance carrier which paid so little that it didn't even cover her bus pass and extra laundry money. Her final week at that "job" she made absolutely nothing for over 30 hours' work. Additionally, she's now sick with West Valley Fever in her lungs which takes months to treat and so she's forced to be on county medical assistance until that's finally better. Never mind either of our emotional states at this point.

At any rate, I'm sure that most -- if not all -- states are like Nevada now, wherein you have to go back to the office once per calendar quarter to submit paperwork showing whether or not there have been any changes in your income, rent, expenses and so forth. Every time this date has approached, my wife has been to the office on or before the deadline and verified either at the office or over the phone that everything was properly submitted.

Last month, she got the paperwork in on the deadline day and everything appeared to be fine. Well, today is the day we were supposed to get our deposit on our debit card and nothing showed up.

It took almost an hour of trying to get through to the office by phone, and the worker who answered explained that the office itself failed to meet its own deadline for processing the paperwork, and therefore they were going to require more time to determine if we're still eligible. They further said that a case worker would call us back by Friday to determine if more information was required. Mind you, this paperwork was handed in on August 16. They're telling my wife in essence that it was never even looked at in the past two weeks. Other than that, she got a vague earful of utter crap which does nothing to explain when or even if we'll be getting these benefits.

They couldn't simply give us the benefit of the doubt and push our payment through while they fix their own ****-up. Nope, they just went ahead and did nothing and gave no warning whatsoever about what was going to happen, then left it up to us to contact them so that they could inform us that they ****ed up. Isn't that sweet?

My point here is that if these guys could completely **** over our case and fail to get back to us with any communication, and could not notify us of any kind of problem when she called them last Thursday to confirm that everything was in fact okay, then who can guess how many other individuals or families here in Nevada are being similarly left in a lurch?

We have food and we'll be okay for a while, but if these guys don't get their shit together soon we're going to be in a world of hurt.

I suppose he could call Harry Reid's office.

Anyway, going hungry for a few days won't hurt Kirk.  In fact, it might do him some good.

No primitive comments at this campfire yet.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:38:53 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: Las Vegas Levithan going on an involutary diet
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »
If DUmmies worked at a job as much as they do at staying/getting on the government teat, they'd be rich.

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:53:19 PM »
You know that got me to thinking in a Bloomberg sort of way. When you get right down to it, all forms of food stamp programs encourage obesity (I have plenty of visual evidence of this that I could give to Mikey) and should be reduced. By about 60%-75%. Now I'm not really cutting down on this dangerous program. What I am suggesting is that 25% of food stamps get mailed out on whatever local welfare day is, I don't know. Then just like ordering a second 12 oz. soda instead of one 24 oz one, that the victims of food stamps then go to the food stamp office to get their second 25%.

This plan is restricting their huge caloric input and danger to themselves from an evil government trying to kill these poor souls through no fault of their own, now weigh in at 3+ bills. Oh wait! What if we taxed food stamps at 30%+ that would be a good way to socially engineer the truly ****ing huge obese people and you DUches know who I mean.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »
I just knew that he was going to work Jeanette to the bone.

LVL should be taken out back and treated like a horse with a broken leg.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »
If DUmmies worked at a job as much as they do at staying/getting on the government teat, they'd be rich.

That's what I was thinking.

If the Las Vegas Leviathan wasn't spending so much time and trouble trying to get a free ride and trying to find a job for Jeanette, and went out and worked himself, he'd be in clover by now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »
It's kind of funny that Kirk's "disability" is his astonishing, enormous, staggering fatness, yet here he is bitching about slow delivery of his taxpayer -financed chow.

I guess the only surprise is that here we are in the second half of 2012 and his laboring, grievously overworked heart hasn't yet exploded like a hand grenade.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:05:26 PM »
I just knew that he was going to work Jeanette to the bone.

LVL should be taken out back and treated like a horse with a broken leg.
Hang on a second! The horse might be worth the vet bill. The LVL would just cost a fortune just to get him out of the house.

BTW was I the only one who was thinking that this thread was going to be about poor Jeanette finally sewing his mouth shut?
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
Re: Las Vegas Leviathan going on an involutary diet
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 07:07:05 PM »
BTW was I the only one who was thinking that this thread was going to be about poor Jeanette finally sewing his mouth shut?

That would be nice, but that would be too much to expect.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
Write a letter to President Foodstamp... maybe he'll give you some money from Michelle's vacation fund.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »
Write a letter to President Foodstamp... maybe he'll give you some money from Michelle's vacation fund.

Good one.

Awesome.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline dane

• http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/37017
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
How can this be?  In my part of North Florida it's only August 1st.  Does this guy have some sort of 'way ahead' machine?
Mind you, this paperwork was handed in on August 16.
This too shall pass.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 07:11:48 PM »
It's kind of funny that Kirk's "disability" is his astonishing, enormous, staggering fatness, yet here he is bitching about slow delivery of his taxpayer -financed chow.

I guess the only surprise is that here we are in the second half of 2012 and his laboring, grievously overworked heart hasn't yet exploded like a hand grenade.

That will happen on the night of November 6 , this year.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »
Good one.

Awesome.
I'm having a hard time feeling bad for Kirk... he voted for the son of a bitch.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »

Me too; I don't feel half an ounce of sorry for him at all.

I see the hotels in Las Vegas are still advertising for bellboys.

And they get a neat red uniform and a neat kind of red cap with it too, paid for.

I think Kirk would do great as a bellboy, for two reasons; he'd make loads in tips--people tip overweight bellboys more than they tip small bellboys--and he'd work off some of his excess poundage.

It'd be a win-win situation for him, but the tub of lard doesn't want to win.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »
Actually, I doubt it.

Kirk is encased in such a huge volume of blubber he isn't ambulatory enough to get to the polls, and he's way too lazy to apply for an absentee ballot.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 07:18:55 PM »
Behind on SNAP payments?  Dumbass, I live right behind a Walmart and it's the first of the month today.  If I go over there right now, there would be overweight fatties dressed in sized 2 clothing with eight kids per mother from six different daddies running wild in that store.  Each mother will have two carts stocked full of junk food while they swipe their EBT.  I can go over there and take video of it right now if you want...
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
Behind on SNAP payments?  Dumbass, I live right behind a Walmart and it's the first of the month today.  If I go over there right now, there would be overweight fatties dressed in sized 2 clothing with eight kids per mother from six different daddies running wild in that store.  Each mother will have two carts stocked full of junk food while they swipe their EBT.  I can go over there and take video of it right now if you want...
Don't need to. That scene is playing out right now at the Food Lion around the corner from me.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »
The parking lot at the Kroger here is ****ed up seven ways from Sunday, and it was busier than normal today.  It's the only grocery store in the area that I know of since Albertson's closed down.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »
Don't need to. That scene is playing out right now at the Food Lion around the corner from me.

I know, but I'm actually in Las Vegas and can prove to him that the state isn't behind on SNAP payments.  That would be big news here if that happened.  They were making a huge deal when unemployment benefits were running out... so, I don't know.  I think it's kind of funny.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
The always-helpful pie-and-jam primitive just showed up.

grasswire (34,409 posts)

1. I think you mean July, not August....right?

This is a fine kettle of fish. Maybe the local news would like to know about this snafu. Best wishes to you. I hope it gets straightened out ASAP.

Systematic Chaos (7,532 posts)

2. Yeah, you're right about July 16 and not August 16.

I typed the post up right after my wife finally got off the phone and was still in shock.

Now I'm just too pissed off to think straight, so no improvement on that front either.

Don't worry, Kirk; you'll get over it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »
He expected the government to process paperwork in less than 2 weeks?  What loony world has he been living in?  I'm starting paperwork now for a nursing license in January. 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »
What?  Da welfare runnin out!  

This may actually be the only time I've seen the Las Vegas Leviathan actually break out in a sweat since they ran out of shrimp at the Circus Circus buffet after his third trayful (**** those plates--those are for pussies!)

And in Vegas, that takes some SERIOUS doin.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 07:29:55 PM »
To: President Obama

Sir,
Please send me money to buy food. I think I deserve it because I voted for you.

Thanks,

Kirk

To: Kirp

Dear Kirp,
The money I would have sent you I instead donated to my re-election campaign. Thank you for the contribution!

Regards,

Barack
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 07:30:21 PM »
He has a month's worth of fat stored up. As long as he has water to drink, he won't die.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »
He expected the government to process paperwork in less than 2 weeks?  What loony world has he been living in?  I'm starting paperwork now for a nursing license in January. 

I consider it a good thing, his predicament.

His mouth, stomach, and bowels are the only part of the Las Vegas Leviathan that're overworked.

They're worn out, they're tired, they need a rest.
apres moi, le deluge