Author Topic: Anyone good applying veneers?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Anyone good applying veneers?
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
I need to make a small bezel to replace a flat ash tray / lighter assembly which I am replacing with a duplex lighter / usb port.  I will fabricate a new lower holder which will be topped with said bezel.

I plan on using birch plywood for the bezel which I thought I might cover with a nice veneer of cherry, walnut, or mahogany depending on what looks best with the existing black plastic base.  (I found a nice assortment pack at Woodcraft.)  What is the best way ( and  product ) to apply the veneer to the plywood? It is not a pre-glued product. 

The piece will be about three by seven inches with about a two by six cut out center. I plan on applying the veneer before cutting out the center section.

I never have enough DC outlets in the motor home and don't need the ashtray.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Anyone good applying veneers?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
Got a food sealer?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »
Why not use a real piece of wood instead of plywood and stain it , then give it several clear coats for shine?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:22:27 PM »
Got a food sealer?

Yup.  And plenty of DIY seal material.   I might try that.  Have to go look for glue tomorrow.  Might just as well go back to Woodcraft and see what they have.  ( Probably should have done that when I was right there today. :argh: )

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
Why not use a real piece of wood instead of plywood and stain it , then give it several clear coats for shine?

Well that is a good question for which I don't have a real good answer.  I did look at some exotic stuff at Woodcraft but the prices were pretty scary. 

I guess I just want to try doing a veneer.  It may not be the best idea I have had lately but I figure it may be worth the time to learn how to do it.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »
Yup.  And plenty of DIY seal material.   I might try that.  Have to go look for glue tomorrow.  Might just as well go back to Woodcraft and see what they have.  ( Probably should have done that when I was right there today. :argh: )
Regular wood glue should be fine.  I've found that less glue is better... you want a thin, tacky film as opposed to dumping it on there heavily.  Let it cure for at least 24 hours.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »
Regular wood glue should be fine.  I've found that less glue is better... you want a thin, tacky film as opposed to dumping it on there heavily.  Let it cure for at least 24 hours.

Less glue on both pieces then into the seal and peel machine worked out just fine.  I will add a pic or two once I dumb them down to attachable size.  I shot it with several coats of clear enamel and now have to attach it to the box I made to hold the new 'WalMart" plug-ins (which includes a USB).   

I used Hide glue for the veneer but will be using regular wood glue on the final assembly.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »
This is what I made to replace the exisitng single lighter and ashtry assembly.  (hopefully)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »
Very nice.