Author Topic: I'll be testing some freeze dried food soon. Food storage questions.  (Read 18496 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

Re: I'll be testing some freeze dried food soon. Food storage questions.
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 09:38:38 PM »
Taste Test: Terriaki Chicken
From the Wise 60 meat entree bucket.
Its just powder and very fine diced chicken. Looks like oatmeal when reconstituted. But looks are not what you are looking for in emergency rations.

It tasted...OK. Kinda bland. I imagine when mixed with rice it would have been better. Instant rice is included in the bucket, I just didn't want to open it yet. These are just entrees and not full meals. the rice is supposed to make the difference. So this was just a snack.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »
Taste Test: Wise Cheesy Lasagna.

This is from the Wise 60 entree emergency meal bucket for $100+
Glad I opened it. There are not 60 packages, but 30. Each package says,  "4 adult servings."
It was average. Nothing spectacular. But filling. Taste wise, its more than you could ask for in an emergency.

Still its no where near four servings worth. I could see two servings for normal people. Me, I ate two thirds, so its an entree and a snack for later. It could have stretched to serve more people if I had rice to serve as well.

After a weekend of testing, I found out several things.
1) you can cook this with cold water.
2) you can nuke it just fine.
3) the freeze dried process is not aromatic at all. Good for when you don't want people knowing that you are eating a decent meal.

My conclusion. Freeze dried is fine for long term storage. But this is something you want to supplement with other sources of food as well, like cans.

and lastly, in an apartment style situation, rice is far better than bread. Its a good supplement for your other meals that can be prepared with cold water. It stores forever. It may be boring, but it can keep you alive and healthy.

Here's a question. Any long term vitamin storage?

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 05:43:19 AM »
Taste Test: Wise Cheesy Lasagna.

This is from the Wise 60 entree emergency meal bucket for $100+
Glad I opened it. There are not 60 packages, but 30. Each package says,  "4 adult servings."
It was average. Nothing spectacular. But filling. Taste wise, its more than you could ask for in an emergency.

Still its no where near four servings worth. I could see two servings for normal people. Me, I ate two thirds, so its an entree and a snack for later. It could have stretched to serve more people if I had rice to serve as well.

After a weekend of testing, I found out several things.
1) you can cook this with cold water.
2) you can nuke it just fine.
3) the freeze dried process is not aromatic at all. Good for when you don't want people knowing that you are eating a decent meal.

My conclusion. Freeze dried is fine for long term storage. But this is something you want to supplement with other sources of food as well, like cans.

and lastly, in an apartment style situation, rice is far better than bread. Its a good supplement for your other meals that can be prepared with cold water. It stores forever. It may be boring, but it can keep you alive and healthy.

Here's a question. Any long term vitamin storage?

Talk to at least 2-3 Pharmacists about this.   Go to different drug stores  as you want a second and third openion on this.

Some vitamins have an expiration date that is rather odd, I have a bottle of Centrum that has been hiding in back of cupboard for a couple years.   Expiration date reads AUG 10.  Does this mean they were good until Aug 2010 ?  They have not yet begun to fall apart or go powder as Nitro will become powder in 6 months.

Aspirin, Bayer extra strength bought last June will expire on 4/13       Another think about is if the bottles remain unopened will they last longer then those opened. 

We be talking complicated chemistry here.  Check the expiration date on OTC pain or vitamins.    I have no idea what the plastic coating on liquid vitamins is made of, Most instructions read to store in a cool dark place.   Does this mean in the refrigerator or in a cellar ??   

Some of this OTC is very explicit, NyQuil bought in Dec 2011 has a date of 10/20/14.    Does this mean on
10/ 21/ 14  the stuff turns to crap ???

Good luck, in some cases medication and vitamins are more important then food to store and use for barter.

In a bad SHTF, a tube of baby Numb Zit to barter will be worth it's weight in gold for someone with an abscessed tooth.  A small tube of or packages of Hemorrhoid suppositories ---People will not be eating normally and those Hemmies are a pain in the butt.

For the females  after putting out for food, a bunch of anti yest infection medication.   Old fashion Iodine.  many uses for that.

Perhaps off topic maybe not.   It is said in the old west the one person that had no fear of Indians or robbers were the traveling tinkers.   Trade for the Settlers and Indians was their life line.   To steal or kill a tinker would mean others avoid that area and without trade for necessity's the people as a whole would suffer.

A few months food for yourself is fine but what to do when the food runs out.   Few can trade Aunt Nelly's table lamp for more food, but anything you have from needles and thread to sew up a wound to a bottle of Clorox to sanitize water will keep you fed.

Survival is more then filling your own belly for a short time.

Hubby came across a WW2 flight medical kit fully stocked.   Interesting as there were cans of Ether, bottles of some kind of elixir, fishing hooks, fishing lines, a few surgical knives, old rotting rolls of gauze and tape.   At one time boxes of water proof matches,  a small mirror to signal distress and a couple whistles, tweezers, safety pins and needles and thread.  Lots of stuff packed into a small box perhaps 18 "inches by 5-6 "    As the kit was over 40 years old at the time and the included maps that we could still read we figured these kits were used in the South Pacific.

Check out the Military stores that sell and auction off no longer needed government property.  Some of these medical survival kits are almost brand new and never used.   When a base closes down everything goes, broke my heart when I saw winter survival tents for sale at $100 a piece, sleeping bags for Arctic use for $80.00

Only thing I bought was a jet pilots jacket with a wolf trim hood, best jacket I ever bought and the Ex Airforce men I worked came unglued when I wore it--------Where on earth did you get that Jacket ?????

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
Conclusion:
For long term storage, Mountain House #10 cans are the best. 25 years storage, use only what you want,
and most importantly, Mountain House tastes the best. They are portable: just add water.

Also for grains, Rice in the large buckets, Rice will never go bad. and cooking it does not release the fresh bread smell in a hungry world....Nothing will bring the hungry quicker than the smell of cooking food.

I ordered a can of pilot bread. I think its a heavy cracker.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IPV10A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A3QT5A3E30OMFB
Mountain House has a can at $20, but I'm going cheap to test this product $7 bucks!
This is another thing that you can buy by the case.

Has anyone eaten pilot bread before? what should I get to go with it? what do you prefer?

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »
OK, I tried pilot bread with dinner. by Future Essentials because it was cheaper than the others.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IPV10A/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

There is no plastic lid to reseal the can. wah.
Its not a #10 can. Couldn't see an expiration date.
The bread is a hard bread or a thick cracker. not crumbly or dry. Not salty either.

taste rather bland, but its a way bread: survival stuff, so I sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese, nuked it, and it helped a bit, but not much...it was a cheesy bland.

but hey, it was a taste test, right? I'm gonna eat the rest for breakfast over the next several days.
Peanut butter might help. Looks like there is at least 12 wafers of bread.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 06:38:46 AM »
Mountain house granola with blueberries. (and powdered milk)

I got the foil packet backpackers use. Just add a half cup of cold water. The blueberries stained the milk purple.
Didn't have high hopes, but this was surprisingly good! The milk was thick, the granola tasted like granola...
I loved it!

If you haven't picked up my theme by now, I like Mountain House the best for taste.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »
New Test. I meant to do this a few days ago.
Wise Beef Stroganoff. From the big bucket O food. Its in a packet that feeds 4. It really only feeds two.
The product instruction says to add 4 cups of boiling water...No, tried that before and got soup instead.

I added 3 cups and it was fine. I used a bowl and not the package this time and i noticed an odd thing. There was barely any beef. Not to worry. I have Mountain House freeze dried ground beef #10 can open at the moment.
I made a cup of beef and added it to the thickening mix. Perfect.

taste was OK, the extra beef saved it. BUT. Heed my warning. Skimping on meat is bad manna for any company.
I'm not buying Wise products again.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
New Test. I meant to do this a few days ago.
Wise Beef Stroganoff. From the big bucket O food. Its in a packet that feeds 4. It really only feeds two.
The product instruction says to add 4 cups of boiling water...No, tried that before and got soup instead.

I added 3 cups and it was fine. I used a bowl and not the package this time and i noticed an odd thing. There was barely any beef. Not to worry. I have Mountain House freeze dried ground beef #10 can open at the moment.
I made a cup of beef and added it to the thickening mix. Perfect.

taste was OK, the extra beef saved it. BUT. Heed my warning. Skimping on meat is bad manna for any company.
I'm not buying Wise products again.

I went through my collection of canned meals (affectionately referred to as "Dog Food" - even though I'd never be so cruel as to feed it to a dog) to find that not one single can had more than 15% %meat% in it. Disappointing really.

Also - if you're going to mix those freeze dried meals with less water than advised , make sure you really give them a good mix when you add the water. I botched a couple of them - and had dry crispy bits in the bottom and soup on top with a couple when I was experimenting.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 04:32:56 AM »
I went through my collection of canned meals (affectionately referred to as "Dog Food" - even though I'd never be so cruel as to feed it to a dog) to find that not one single can had more than 15% %meat% in it. Disappointing really.

Also - if you're going to mix those freeze dried meals with less water than advised , make sure you really give them a good mix when you add the water. I botched a couple of them - and had dry crispy bits in the bottom and soup on top with a couple when I was experimenting.

Definitely good to know.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 05:53:17 AM »

That's exactly why I poured it into a big bowl instead of adding water to the pouch. The pouch is very tall, and it is hard to reach to the bottom with a spoon. Much easier to mix in a bowl.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 08:14:29 PM »
If I haven't stated before that I am not impressed with the Wise products, I will reiterate it now.
--I do not like Wise--
I have a tub of freeze dried meat packages and instant rice. The packages are individual sizes and I hate the rice.
I tried several meat and rice combos...and I hate them all. I threw away the unused rice. I have two of the wise tubs and don't intend to keep either now, except maybe as a decoy for looters.

after having uncooked rice and a rice cooker, the taste is 100% better than the Wise instant variety.
Beef is OK but Wise loads the tub with chicken-none of which I like.

Mountain House freeze dried ground beef is far superior to anything Wise has offered so far. To be honest I order the MH Beef for my regular meals and only one can is sitting back with my stash.

I'm going to try the canned meats Big Dog was talking about at Pleasant Hill Farms. They come in Tuna fish size cans, perfect for one guy. If any of you have eaten these I really wanna know how you like them-or a quick microwave meal you made out of one.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:53:21 PM by Mr Mannn »

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
If I haven't stated before that I am not impressed with the Wise products, I will reiterate it now.
--I do not like Wise--
I have a tub of freeze dried meat packages and instant rice. The packages are individual sizes and I hate the rice.
I tried several meat and rice combos...and I hate them all. I threw away the unused rice. I have two of the wise tubs and don't intend to keep either now, except maybe as a decoy for looters.

after having uncooked rice and a rice cooker, the taste is 100% better than the Wise instant variety.
Beef is OK but Wise loads the tub with chicken-none of which I like.

Mountain House freeze dried ground beef is far superior to anything Wise has offered so far. To be honest I order the MH Beef for my regular meals and only one can is sitting back with my stash.

I'm going to try the canned meats Big Dog was talking about at Pleasant Hill Farms. They come in Tuna fish size cans, perfect for one guy. If any of you have eaten these I really wanna know how you like them-or a quick microwave meal you made out of one.

Give me a break Mr. Mannn, when it gets to the point where we have to dip into stored food, we will not give a rats Ass what the heck it tastes like.  Hunger is horrid, excruciating pain. one will eat ants, spiders, drink their own urine, there will be no thought as to how it tastes just to fill the belly and stop the pain.

Hard for us Westerners to understand hunger, the kind that causes us to eat our pets and the dead among us. TASTE is the last thing to worry about, even if the rice is crawling with maggots, it will be greatfully received and the maggots add protine to the meal.

Do a little boning up on hunger, it drives people insane, real hunger not just 3 days with no food is an eye opener.

I read this book written in the 1880's about an American on tour in Africa.   At the time there was hunger in his area, the natives were fat starved.   A Hippo had died and washed ashore and the people were going nuts and fighting each other to get into the body cavity's to eat raw the fat and meat.

Check out Russia in the early 1900"s starvation was so bad Keruchieef  [Spelling] you know the Russian leader with the big shoe that  was a hoot at the UN in the 1960's as a young army leader went up into Russia to report on the starvation.

His Bio tells of of his horror of walking into a hut and the family was salting down one of their  dead children to eat.

Hunger  has nothing to do with taste,   We in the west have no idea what some parts of the world goes through.

Store food ,Rice and Beans, one can live on that no matter how bad it tastes in case of food shortages and or other problems.

It would not hurt to store 50 pound of salt also as you know salt was used to pay wages years ago for a good reason.

Screw the taste tests Mr. Mannn, when you are starving, a bowl of rice that smells and tastes like cat shit will become the best thing you have ever eaten.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2012, 07:50:02 PM »
No Vesta. You've got it all wrong. I'm prepping so I don't have to get that hungry.
One of the things they say at prep sites is to stock food you like, food your family will eat.

If it ever comes to eating bugs, than that means I've run out of stored foods. I'm preparing for a govt collapse like Greece. Food will be scarce but still available. I may wait in lines, but I will do so rather than use up my stock that will be hidden by that time. No way I can prep for a nuke war, or the end of society.

The whole point of this taste test thread is to find the foods I LIKE. I will buy and store those foods.
I live in Iowa...big farm state. Lots of good water and farms everywhere. If things get bad I can sweep/scrub floors for a few eggs and a potato...I have NO plans to get THAT hungry.

There are a whole number of disaster scenarios. Not all of them involve the end of the world.

Vesta, there was no need to get all snarky.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 08:53:02 AM »
Sorry you think I was being Snarkey, MR. Mannn, I am just trying to be realistic about food shortage.

Many things can cause this besides war.  A Union strike for truckers, A virus like Mad cow, or Hog Flu.  Some kind of bird flu that takes away the hens and eggs for a year or two.   [ The Irish potato famine had people trying to eat grass ]

Lately our biggest source of food Peanut butter is now being taken off the shelves,   Arsenic  found in Rice, vegetables and fruits removed for Salmonella, The next thing will be high readings of radioactivity in fish that migrate past Japan.

Check out N. Korea where with millions held in slave labor to work their farms for some reason half the country is still starving. 

Never know when another dust bowl will happen due to Locus descending out of hell.

Then there  are the poor Mormons that store a years worth of food per person in their family.  They had best buy allot of guns and ammo as their homes will be a bulls eye for those that are starving.   No food for a week but there is a Mormon family down the street that have food, 6 members in the family, 6 years of food for one starving monster.   

Some new foreign insect arrives from another country, we head out to spray insecticide everywhere but the wild game eats this and now they are infected.  no good hunting for wild game their meat will kill you. 

You may be way too young to remember the Horror of Japan when somehow their staple, fish became infected with Mercury in the late 1950's   

Germany in the war when a bowl of pea soup was a life saver for the civilians that had little to do with the war.   

Ethiopia where people riot for food dropped by UN Helios that dare not land, mean while a few miles up the road grain is stored in piles so high most of it rots.

The world needs to eat to live, controlling the food source means to inslave not just humans but animals that hang out for the food.     My problem with you is you have never been hungry, you are storing food for the Taste , reminds me of a woman when told the country was starving said "   Let them eat cake "     

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »
   My problem with you is you have never been hungry,
No, Vesta. I have never been hungry. I doubt you have either.
A wise man sees a storm coming and prepares accordingly. I cannot make other people prepare. That they might go hungry is not my concern.

you are storing food for the Taste , reminds me of a woman when told the country was starving said "   Let them eat cake "     
I refuse to apologize for storing food that I will enjoy eating. I have the time now to stock up on what I like. There is nothing wrong with that, I don't know why you think there is. Mental health is 50% of survival. Good food is part of mental health.

That I chose to store one thing and not another is my choice and not yours. I'm posting my preferences here to help others with the same mindset as me. Obviously you do not share that mindset. I have canned cheddar cheese because I LIKE cheddar cheese. If I don't like Wise products, than that's my problem, not yours.

Other posters like canned meat over freeze dried. I didn't see you dissing them because they are stocking what they like. People with kids are stocking up on what they children enjoy eating. That's not a crime.

I do not understand your sudden criticism. I'm not turning up my nose at food that been given to me. I'm prepping with my money and I have the freedom to choose. Competing products are out there. It's not wrong to pick and choose while I still have time.

If you want tasteless food, fine: YOU buy it. But DON'T sell me some guilt trip over people in North Korea. I don't live there. I live in a land of plenty (for the moment). The wise prepare, and the foolish will go hungry. If nothing happens I will have 25 years before I donate my stock to the salvation army.

Bottom line, Vesta. Its my money, my choice. If you don't like my taste tests than you can post your own thread.
Thank you for your input, but it had nothing to do with the topic. (and thats TWO snarky posts now. BS given.)

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
OK. back to the taste tests. CANNED MEAT.

I tried Hormel Beef Chunks in Gravy poured over rice, $4.50 at the store. It was OK. Nothing to crow about. The can was large enough for a single guy to use, but there was more gravy than beef. still the meal was fine.
The $4.50 price however is not justified. too expensive.

I tried another rice meal with canned chicken. I bought two tuna fish size cans at the store (don't remember the price). It took both cans to cover the rice. The chicken was packed in water.
The dish was a bed of rice smashed on a plate. a layer of chicken, and another layer of cheese.
It was OK.

If the price is right I will stock up on canned chicken. Taste is better and the can was full of chicken chunks. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 04:21:58 PM »
I've got some Mountain House freeze dried beef stew from the late 70's. I'll bet it still tastes like shit.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 09:13:30 PM »
I tried back to back Wise and Mountain House Chili Mac tonight.  What a difference!  Mountain House wins hands down, although the Wise was edible.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »
OK. back to the taste tests. CANNED MEAT.

I tried Hormel Beef Chunks in Gravy poured over rice, $4.50 at the store. It was OK. Nothing to crow about. The can was large enough for a single guy to use, but there was more gravy than beef. still the meal was fine.
The $4.50 price however is not justified. too expensive.

I tried another rice meal with canned chicken. I bought two tuna fish size cans at the store (don't remember the price). It took both cans to cover the rice. The chicken was packed in water.
The dish was a bed of rice smashed on a plate. a layer of chicken, and another layer of cheese.
It was OK.

If the price is right I will stock up on canned chicken. Taste is better and the can was full of chicken chunks. 

Can you share the brand names ? Thanks.

BTW: I appreciate this thread as I have recently started thinking about stocking emergency food. I'm still not totally sure if Obama is just nuts or really trying hard to destroy our country.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
What is the shelf life of say a Mountain House #10 can once opened?

The reason I ask, it that it's just my wife and I that I will be stocking up for.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2012, 06:37:13 PM »
Prepared food is usually 3-4 days if refrigerated.

I suppose it helps if you don't mind eating the same thing every day for a week.  I do that because I don't care to cook.  The good thing is that reheating cooked food doesn't take a lot of energy (I use a 200-degree oven for 15-20 minutes).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:40:27 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »
Prepared food is usually 3-4 days if refrigerated.

I suppose it helps if you don't mind eating the same thing every day for a week.  I do that because I don't care to cook.  The good thing is that reheating cooked food doesn't take a lot of energy (I use a 200-degree oven for 15-20 minutes).

When the shit hits the fan (hurricane etc.), the electric grid will be off line for a period of days or even weeks..  So I was wondering how long a #10 can of mountain house lasts once opened.  I've never used any of their products.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 06:52:50 PM »

BTW: I appreciate this thread as I have recently started thinking about stocking emergency food. I'm still not totally sure if Obama is just nuts or really trying hard to destroy our country.

Both.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
The canned chicken was Tyson. Got it at my local HyVee. I couldn't find canned meat so i had to ask. Very small section in the canned aisle. Not many people buy this stuff.
Mr Mann, I would recommend you look into Pleasant Hill Grain.  We bought our canned meat from them & it is outstanding especially the pork.  They also have a test pack so you can check them out.  We have also bought other products from them & service & quality are great.
Now that can their own meat and sell samples. Look them up online. I got my 44 pounds of rice from them.
The meat is all in Tuna fish size cans. I haven't tried them yet, but most likely I will stock up with their canned meat rather than freeze dried.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:01:53 PM by Mr Mannn »

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »
When the shit hits the fan (hurricane etc.), the electric grid will be off line for a period of days or even weeks..  So I was wondering how long a #10 can of mountain house lasts once opened.  I've never used any of their products.
I use Mountain House Freeze dried Hamburger in every day cooking. I've stretched it out six weeks with no problem. I live in a fairly humid environment. Just keep it dry and the lid snapped on and you would be OK for 2 months in my opinion.

I am a bachelor. I nuke all my cooking. I add the hamburger to Kraft Delux Mac n' Cheese dinners, to spaghetti sauce, to rice and cheese, to instant mashed potatoes. It's great! 2/3 cup Hamburger in a paper bowl, add water, nuke for 1:45. Drain the excess water and eat. You would not know the difference between this and home cooked burger, the taste is the same.

You guys might laugh at me but for my style of cooking its great!

But back to your question. Mountain house advises to eat within 2-3 weeks after opening. My experience can go longer, but I take pains to keep it dry and sealed.

I have rice and chicken, which I love.
Lasagna with meat sauce--not tried but its for the shelf.
Scrambled eggs and bacon, no yet tried.
My staples are Pilot Bread and Rice.
I want at least 6 more #10 cans for meals like stew.
I also have a case of 12 foil packets of freeze dried refried beans. looks like 5-7 years for that case.

Freeze dried is reliable, but expensive. I'm going to work on cans for now.
Amazon sells Belga canned cheddar cheese, and i have a half case. I want more cause i'm a nut for cheddar.

Franksolich found a great maker of soup in the cooking forum. They are powder and sold in foil packets, and everyone said they taste better than canned soups! Bear Creek Soups, in the grocery store, Good for 7 years at least.

and if nothing happens, I can stock a cabin with all this food.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:21:19 PM by Mr Mannn »