Author Topic: Backers, undecideds tune in to Thompson  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Backers, undecideds tune in to Thompson
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:34:50 AM »
Backers, undecideds tune in to Thompson

AIKEN --- Undecided voters stood on chairs and bumped elbows just to hear Republican presidential candidate Fred Thompson on Monday.

Although his visit to Aiken County was delayed by a couple of hours, about 200 residents came to his campaign stop at Papa Russ's Barbecue to see whether the Law & Order star and former senator would get past his television persona and hit on real issues.

"I think we may have decided on a candidate, but we wanted to experience him personally," Mark Thompson, of Aiken, said of his family's wait.

Mr. Thompson acknowledged that he needs a win in South Carolina's Republican presidential primary Saturday but was unapologetic about his campaign, telling voters that if he's too laid back for their tastes there are plenty of other candidates to choose from.

U.S. Rep. Gresham Barrett, R-S.C., introduced Mr. Thompson in the dining room while loudspeakers in The Alley outside allowed latecomers to hear the message.

After touting national security and Supreme Court appointments as the two most important issues facing the next president, Mr. Thompson took questions from the audience before slowly winding his way to his tour bus.

"I believe our country's better days are ahead of us if we do what we ought to do," he said.

While some voters were looking for answers, diehard supporters drove to Aiken in an effort to sway the undecided.

"I'm not from South Carolina, but I'll be contacting people in South Carolina because the alternative is unacceptable and I'll have to pay for it," said Dianne Thomas, of Charlotte, N.C. "He has more depth that's not always shown in a sound bite."

Mr. Thompson's foreign policy experience and knowledge of the economy are issues that Ms. Thomas said get lost, but she said that if voters see him they'll know he's a politician who's still about the people.

"He doesn't talk in sayings like 'change,' " she said.

Mr. Thompson wouldn't say whether a first-place finish in Saturday's primary was necessary for him to continue his quest for the Republican nomination.

He will continue his tour bus campaign in South Carolina through Friday, concluding in Columbia.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/011508/met_180408.shtml

Maybe Fred is gaining traction in SC . . . .

Offline djones520

Re: Backers, undecideds tune in to Thompson
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:52:55 AM »
I certainly hope so.  He's really the only Candidate that I find myself supporting.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:49:05 AM »
I hope so too. Him and Duncan Hunter are the only worthy candidates.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 10:12:33 AM »
Fingers crossed here......
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:16:22 AM »
From your keyboard to God's inbox!
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies