Author Topic: Home Generators  (Read 13432 times)

Offline Miss Mia

Re: Home Generators
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 11:22:31 PM »
I don't have one, but different family members have them.  South east Texas and hurricane season...they have generators enough to power the fridge and freezer plus at least one ceiling fan. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »
My wife's grandmother gave us hers. Gas powered one. I was thinking about looking into gettng a big gas tank I could conceivably put in the garage so it could run for a few days, if need be.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 05:28:53 AM »
My wife's grandmother gave us hers. Gas powered one. I was thinking about looking into gettng a big gas tank I could conceivably put in the garage so it could run for a few days, if need be.

Why not use an above-ground fuel tank, similar to those used for oil-fired furnaces?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »
Why not use an above-ground fuel tank, similar to those used for oil-fired furnaces?
That's what I meant.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

Nugent

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »

You are not talking about gasoline are you ?
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline J P Sousa

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 02:41:56 PM »
I got an estimate on a 7KW propane $5500.00, and waiting for a 8KW propane estimate. 

This pretty much would cover me;
1.  Freezers and refrigerators
2.  Heating (you can do without A/C)
3.  Lighting - kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom
4.  Garage door opener (don't laugh - try to get in your garage when it ain't working)
5.  Kitchen outlets and/or the circuit breakers for microwaves/electric skillets. If you've got a gas range, you're covered.

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 03:31:17 PM »
You are not talking about gasoline are you ?
Yes.
-Aristotle

Nugent

Offline J P Sousa

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 04:21:33 PM »
Yes.

Some insurance companies limit the amount of gasoline you can store on your property.

They use OSHA requirements;

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=10673&p_table=STANDARDS

Some companies are even stricter, but if they don't know and there are no insured losses...... :-)

~John Wayne

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 04:54:13 PM »
I got an estimate on a 7KW propane $5500.00, and waiting for a 8KW propane estimate. 

This pretty much would cover me;

One more I should have included in that list:

6.  Sump pump(s)

The circuits to which you have sump pumps plugged into should be a part of that overall plan. Fortunately, they don't use much juice.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »
Some insurance companies limit the amount of gasoline you can store on your property.

They use OSHA requirements;

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=10673&p_table=STANDARDS

Some companies are even stricter, but if they don't know and there are no insured losses...... :-)
Thanks for that! Really something to think about now.
-Aristotle

Nugent

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 05:18:56 PM »
Yeah I never did get that surplus one I was talking about! I had to run out today and ended up with the same Champion Rick got. At least I will keep my freezers going. If this storm brings a long power outage there is a generator upgrade in the stars for me.

Catsmtrod, if you have to use it, could you keep track of load and fuel usage, I would like to compare to advertised spec.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
Catsmtrod, if you have to use it, could you keep track of load and fuel usage, I would like to compare to advertised spec.

If I use it, it will be to power 1 small chest freezer that draws about 700 watts. I hope I don't have to but I will let you know. So far it seems like a nice little unit. Filled it with fluids and it started on the first pull. After a minute it smoothed out nice and I ran my 1/2 drill to repair my wheelbarrow. Very quiet compared to my 5 hp homemade Briggs.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
At 800 watts you should get a continuous 8hrs per gallon of gas. One small refer and a TV is my intended load.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 09:52:22 PM »
Since we have a generator now I have a question. Why do some people hook up their generators to the electrical panel? My husband has no desire to do this, but we do have a relative who's an electrician and if we wanted to do it he could do it for us. Do people mostly do this so they don't have wires all over the place?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline J P Sousa

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »
Since we have a generator now I have a question. Why do some people hook up their generators to the electrical panel? My husband has no desire to do this, but we do have a relative who's an electrician and if we wanted to do it he could do it for us. Do people mostly do this so they don't have wires all over the place?

I can only comment on my generator an 8 KW. There is an automatic transfer switch with 10 breakers that replaced 10 breakers in my regular panel.

In the regular panel are two breakers that feed the transfer switch / panel. When power goes out the automatic transfer switch turns on the generator and these 10 breakers are the only circuits with power. Most of the house is powered by the generator, the really important circuits listed by Eupher.

Things we would not need in an emergency such as Heat Pump (the Oil Furnace would be powered), Electric Dryer, Electric Range, and some spare rooms are not fed by the generator.

~John Wayne

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »
I can only comment on my generator an 8 KW. There is an automatic transfer switch with 10 breakers that replaced 10 breakers in my regular panel.

In the regular panel are two breakers that feed the transfer switch / panel. When power goes out the automatic transfer switch turns on the generator and these 10 breakers are the only circuits with power. Most of the house is powered by the generator, the really important circuits listed by Eupher.

Things we would not need in an emergency such as Heat Pump (the Oil Furnace would be powered), Electric Dryer, Electric Range, and some spare rooms are not fed by the generator.

We probably won't do it, but it was more of a curiosity question.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2012, 04:13:23 AM »

The power was off for about 30 hrs so I ran it for the first 5 and shut it down to change the oil and I filled it at that time. It now has 14hrs on the meter and never ran out of gas and appears to have quite a bit left.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
We probably won't do it, but it was more of a curiosity question.

JP Sousa spoke toward your question very well, but I'll chime in to say that it's really a convenience and a safety issue.

If you have a generator that is portable and you don't connect it to your household system via transfer switch, you're going to have extension cords running all over the house, you're going to have to feed that gasoline-powered, noisy generator gasoline at all hours of the day and night, and it's just generally safer with a permanent setup -- not to mention a real plus when you're trying to sell your house.

Maintenance of a standalone generator consists of changing the oil, oil and air filters, and if you've got a Generac, adjusting the valve lash on occasion.  :whatever:  (My Kohler requires no valve adjustments, TYVM.) So maintenance is pretty straightforward and easy. Engines are sturdier and better able to handle loads, and it basically boils down to "you get what you pay for."

YMMV.

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
The power was off for about 30 hrs so I ran it for the first 5 and shut it down to change the oil and I filled it at that time. It now has 14hrs on the meter and never ran out of gas and appears to have quite a bit left.

Thank you. 14hrs on a gallon and a half - goes to their advertisement. And thank you for pointing out the need to change the break in oil. I had not stocked for it.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
JP Sousa spoke toward your question very well, but I'll chime in to say that it's really a convenience and a safety issue.

If you have a generator that is portable and you don't connect it to your household system via transfer switch, you're going to have extension cords running all over the house, you're going to have to feed that gasoline-powered, noisy generator gasoline at all hours of the day and night, and it's just generally safer with a permanent setup -- not to mention a real plus when you're trying to sell your house.

Maintenance of a standalone generator consists of changing the oil, oil and air filters, and if you've got a Generac, adjusting the valve lash on occasion.  :whatever:  (My Kohler requires no valve adjustments, TYVM.) So maintenance is pretty straightforward and easy. Engines are sturdier and better able to handle loads, and it basically boils down to "you get what you pay for."

YMMV.

You still have to add the oil though even if you hook it up to the electric panel, right?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
You still have to add the oil though even if you hook it up to the electric panel, right?

My generator is powered by a two-cylinder engine that runs off propane. It's an internal combustion engine that needs oil for lubrication, yes.

Mine takes about two quarts, and I use synthetic oil.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »
It's the same maintenance you do with your car... plugs, oil, filters every X hours (or months).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »
It's the same maintenance you do with your car... plugs, oil, filters every X hours (or months).

I'd forgotten about the plugs, but yeah, you're right.

I've needed my generator only a few times since I had it installed not quite 5 years ago. And the generator is set up to "exercise" once per week for about 20 minutes, so overall running has been pretty minimal.

This past spring I installed two spark plugs -- which was a bitch, because the second cylinder could only be accessed if I took the damned external cabinet apart. Major PITA.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
I had a car like that.  I had to slip a socket over plug and turn the socket with a wrench.  It was a pain in the ass, but it worked.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Dori

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2012, 12:15:36 PM »
I heard on the news this morning that in areas of NY & NJ people were finding that their generators had been stolen during the night.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler