Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 157660 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »
Si, senor.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 07:40:44 PM »
Front:

Remove wheel, then remove bolt.  The bolt is a really loose 14MM or sort-of-better 9/16th (in other words, Whithworth, so use an adjustable wrench).  Top up fluid to level with hole, then reinstall bolt.

Rear:

Look behind seats, pull carpet on shelf behind seats.  Remove the little rubber grommets (the one I'm pointing at) to access shock bolt.  Remove shock bolt, then fill to where fluid is level with bottom of bolt when threaded back into hole.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
Ah, very cool.  Thank you.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAWH0EfMDfc&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHtwY3_P9hE&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YltxeGCJYVw&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
 :popcorn:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »
I've watched that before.  It's a great testament to the sloth and indifference inflicted by legislated equality.

I'm just glad my 1973 appears to have been assembled by someone that was relatively sober.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
Wimmin love little bitty British Sportscars. Smart wimmin do.   People who drive them know stuff about cars, you have to, or you have a full time mechanic.  Either way, it is all good.   :-)
I was sandwiched between a Miata and a BMW Z4 in traffic.  It was a nice day.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »
I just got back from a spin in mine, and surprise, everything still works!

We've already determined there is a high statistical chance that the same slovenly Midlander that screwed together your car also screwed together mine. 

We should probably still keep our fingers crossed.

A quick and dirty picture from tonight (literally, quite dirty).

Offline Chris_

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 09:25:10 PM »
That's a great picture... love it.  Had someone ask me today if it was an American car.  No, try again.

There's a Goodguy's show this weekend (domestic cars only) and my insurance agent is going to be there.  I'm considering driving over there to see if they will let me park next to the Allstate tent at the show.  He acted like a kid at Christmas when I told him what I'd bought. :-)  (I bought my Hagerty's policy through him.)

I like Buick's senior compacts... the Rover 215cid V8 is too nice to ignore.  I just wish the management at GM had been a little more open with their design/marketing ideas in the late 60's and early 70's.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »
Your trunk lid doesn't look crooked.  I think you could pilot the Titanic through the panel gap on mine. ::)

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
Wait until you have to buy some gasket something-or-another at Autozone or Oreilly's or the like, and they tell you that your 1.8 is a Mazda motor...  :p

If you get to do the Allstate thing, snap some pictures!  I also really like the 215.  That is a really cool motor.  It's a shame it wasn't used to its full potential.  One of those would really scoot in a Sprite/Midget.  

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »
Your trunk lid doesn't look crooked.  I think you could pilot the Titanic through the panel gap on mine. ::)

No, mine is probably about as straight as they come in that regard. 

Somebody probably tried to shut your boot lid without releasing the prop rod, and tweaked the fitment.  You might also have a boot lid seal that is too fat, causing it to sit proud. 

I'm not an anal car person, but I always try to shut all the doors/boot lids/etc on the B.  It's just too easy to forget something like the prop rod, and then bend something.  I'd rather be at fault and cuss at myself then make someone else feel bad about doing it themselves.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 10:15:28 PM »
I've never been to the local car shows (GoodGuys/Hunters).  It's always the same old A/B-body stuff from the mid- to late-sixties.  Yawn.

There WAS a Plymouth Cranbroook at the same dealer that had an MG B and a '65 Ford Galaxie for sale last year but I was not interested in a boat like that.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »
I've never been to the local car shows (GoodGuys/Hunters).  It's always the same old A/B-body stuff from the mid- to late-sixties.  Yawn.

There WAS a Plymouth Cranbroook at the same dealer that had an MG B and a '65 Ford Galaxie for sale last year but I was not interested in a boat like that.

I hear you there.  I don't bother hitting any of the local car shows around here because of that reason.  My brother calls them 'asshole' cars- since everybody has one.  That Cranbrook would be fun to have for about a month.  After the novelty wore off, I'd probably try to get something smaller and more tossable.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »
I topped off my lever shocks on the front.  It didn't take much but it made a difference... I think I could drive this car all day long and not get tired of it.

Went to the car show and got rained on. 

Lots of gaudy, tacky crap.  Some good stuff, though.  I knew I should have registered my MG for the show... there was a small section for foreign cars (two Beetles and a Thing).

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »
I topped off my lever shocks on the front.  It didn't take much but it made a difference... I think I could drive this car all day long and not get tired of it.

Went to the car show and got rained on. 

Lots of gaudy, tacky crap.  Some good stuff, though.  I knew I should have registered my MG for the show... there was a small section for foreign cars (two Beetles and a Thing).

Did you get a tonneau cover?

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »
I did, it's in the trunk along with the tonneau frame.  I haven't messed with it yet.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »
I did, it's in the trunk along with the tonneau frame.  I haven't messed with it yet.

I never thought the lines of the B lent themselves well to the tounneau cover.  The MGA, the T, and the F, on the other hand, look great with them.

When you say 'frame', do you mean the crossbar that goes behind the rear seats?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 04:32:24 PM »
Yes.  It has the original jack and a couple other pieces as well, along with a full-sized Rostyle spare wheel and tire.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 04:39:03 PM »
Is your tire original on your spare?  I believe mine is.  I keep it in the garage, so I could go out and look what make it is.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
The tonneau is nice if you don't want to put the top up but don't want to come back to a saturated seat.  I wish I had the option on the G6.  Those nasty little local rain clouds always move in when you have left the top down and dashed into here, there,  or  wherevern for just a second (only to end up behind the person who has all pennies or a complex question only a Rabbi could answer). 

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »
My shop manual arrived today.  It has 'Idaho Falls Public Library' stamped on it and has the Dewey decimal tag on the binder. :rofl:

629 is the automotive section if you're interested.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
I always like getting the old library fix-it books like that!  I've got quite a collection.  If any members need fix-it manuals for any number of SAAB, Renault, Subaru, Volvo, Peugeot, Hillman, Fiat, Opel, Simca, or Volkswagen, I'm your man. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »
Good luck unloading that Simca manual. :rotf:

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »
Say what you want, but the satisfaction level of the male customers who have to drop a load in my toilet is through the roof.  :-)

They make excellent toilet reading material.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »
I managed to scare myself today (twice).  I made a sharp turn and/or lane change and the rear end felt like it wanted to come off the ground.  Very bouncy and very scary.