Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 157601 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »
This is a good site to use.  It looks like web 1.0 but hey, who cares: 

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/electricstext1.htm

These are the ones you want:

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/electricstext1.htm#turnswitch

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/electricstext2.htm#lights

The link on the second one contains the wiring diagram for the lights.  As you can see, it's pretty basic.  If everything is out, it's either your fuse box, or your switch.  You'll also note that if your care is still wired properly, your lights run on the RED wires coming off of your fuse box, not the GREEN wires.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
Ok first, for your turn signals, did you toggle your hazard switch back and forth a bunch of times? 
Holy crap, it worked. :yahoo:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
My tail lights are different colors. One is red, the other is amber. :bs:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
Holy crap, it worked. :yahoo:

I'm telling you, the same slovenly Midlander that put your car together put mine together, too.  It's like deja vu. 

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »
I'm telling you, the same slovenly Midlander that put your car together put mine together, too.  It's like deja vu. 
All over again...-Yogi Berra-
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
I forgot about the joys of open-air vehicles during summer.  Dumpsters!  Garbage cans!  Diesel trucks!

I got squirted in the face by someone's lawn sprinkler. :lmao:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2012, 07:56:59 AM »
I forgot about the joys of open-air vehicles during summer.  Dumpsters!  Garbage cans!  Diesel trucks!

I got squirted in the face by someone's lawn sprinkler. :lmao:

That's great for a nice pick-me-up.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »
That's great for a nice pick-me-up.
It was like getting slapped with a wet fish.  Never saw it coming.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2012, 12:28:58 AM »
It was like getting slapped with a wet fish.  Never saw it coming.
At least you didn't get hit with the Luca Brasi treatment.

edit on hot.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »
At least you didn't get hit with the Luca Brasi treatment.

edit on hot.

Reminds me of a story abou riding a motorcycle in FLA without a helmet back in the day.  Hurts like the dickens to get hit by a palmetto bug in the forehead, darn near tore me off the bike (I was doing about 70 at the time).  Not to mention the mess and red welt. :argh:

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
Reminds me of a story abou riding a motorcycle in FLA without a helmet back in the day.  Hurts like the dickens to get hit by a palmetto bug in the forehead, darn near tore me off the bike (I was doing about 70 at the time).  Not to mention the mess and red welt. :argh:
Those suckers hurt.  I used to ride around in a t-shirt and would get smacked by bugs and rocks all the time.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2012, 06:19:31 PM »
BH, did you have an issue with your car getting warm while sitting in traffic or running at high speeds for a prolonged period?  I was on the interstate for about half an hour at 70mph and my car started running warmer than usual (halfway between N and H).  It also started running hotter than normal when the weather got warm in June.

My coolant level is good and I'm not seeing any leaks.  I think I may have a sticking thermostat and picked up a replacement.  I haven't had a chance to change it out yet.  I've had to turn the heater on to cool it down to something normal... that sucker puts out some nuclear sized heat.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:22:51 PM by chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2012, 06:35:12 PM »
BH, did you have an issue with your car getting warm while sitting in traffic or running at high speeds for a prolonged period?  I was on the interstate for about half an hour at 70mph and my car started running warmer than usual (halfway between N and H).  It also started running hotter than normal when the weather got warm in June.

My coolant level is good and I'm not seeing any leaks.  I think I may have a sticking thermostat and picked up a replacement.  I haven't had a chance to change it out yet.  I've had to turn the heater on to cool it down to something normal... that sucker puts out some nuclear sized heat.

No.  I never had any heat related problems.  The first thing I would look at would be any leaks; which you say there are none.  Next would be the thermostat. Thirdly, has the radiator been flushed? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2012, 06:36:54 PM »
It has not been flushed.  I'm going to change the thermostat out this weekend and see if that fixes the problem.  I meant to do that last week but got sidetracked with my stupid Toyota.

Offline freedumb2003

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2012, 06:54:17 PM »
I had to nadin a picture because my shop manual still hasn't arrived yet, but they are definitely SU carbs.  Here are a set on a Datsun Z.

Here is a set on a Mini:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2012, 08:02:56 PM »
I hate to admit it, but it's cooler with the top up in this blazing heat.  I did not expect that.

Maybe I should invest in a few more black shirts.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2012, 09:08:57 PM »
I hate to admit it, but it's cooler with the top up in this blazing heat.  I did not expect that.

Maybe I should invest in a few more black shirts.

You will bake with the top down in this weather.  Leave it up!  Do you have the zip-down rear window? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2012, 09:10:21 PM »
Nope.  I don't have a problem leaving it up, but it makes it difficult to see the stop lights. :rofl:

It was supposed to rain tonight.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2012, 12:53:58 AM »
Yeah, I hear you there.  I am not a tall person, but I find myself stooping like I have a bad case of hunchback to see a light when I have the top on.

You know, it might be easier to look at the reflection of the traffic lights on the hood and fenders than actually catching a glimpse of the actual light.

Offline redkatz919

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2012, 12:13:31 PM »
 :cheersmate: Hey guys, time for a couple of questions? A man was passing through, in an MGB-GT? It was love at first sight. He says parts are easy to find, and someone my size can fit in sort-of. (6-1,215 pushing 60)
  Any comments?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2012, 01:12:36 PM »
The GT has a taller windshield than the convertible -- you should have plenty of headroom.  Legroom is decent.  I'm 5'11 and 235# and I fit in the roadster pretty comfortably with the top up.   You might have a little trouble with the short doors, but it doesn't take much practice to get in and out.

Go for it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:15:40 PM by chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2012, 01:46:57 PM »
Chris is right.  What is so deceptive about how big of a person these cars can swallow is due to how the legroom is positioned.  The footwells actually go past the engine, so when you are in the car with your feet on the firewall, your feet are almost in line with the #3 cylinder, and your shins are roughly at the flywheel. 

I am relatively short (5'6"), so I don't have any problems with the legroom.  Getting out of the car is a different matter altogether, though, as even someone my height has to be careful about not tearing up the door cutout trim with my shoes.  Once you get used to how to manipulate yourself out of the car though, it's easy. 

I'd love to have an MGBGT, or even an A, but they are hard to find around here.  They're easy to work on as long as you don't mind getting a hunch in your back from stooping over.  :-)

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »
:cheersmate: Hey guys, time for a couple of questions? A man was passing through, in an MGB-GT? It was love at first sight. He says parts are easy to find, and someone my size can fit in sort-of. (6-1,215 pushing 60)
  Any comments?

If you want to work on it yourself, you will need 11" fingers. Also popular with the ladies. Oh....and a can of Lucas replacement smoke.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »
If you want to work on it yourself, you will need 11" fingers. Also popular with the ladies. Oh....and a can of Lucas replacement smoke.

Oh, they're not that bad to work on at all!  I'd much rather work on the B than on any of my Volvos, or any other newer car.  Somehow I've managed to avoid any need for a can of Lucas smoke on my car.  Clean those grounds, and keep all the connections clean, and hopefully Lucas won't come knocking.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »
Oh, they're not that bad to work on at all!  I'd much rather work on the B than on any of my Volvos, or any other newer car.  Somehow I've managed to avoid any need for a can of Lucas smoke on my car.  Clean those grounds, and keep all the connections clean, and hopefully Lucas won't come knocking.

Sorry, old British car jokes from my youth.  I was a sucker for them too.