Author Topic: 4th July plans  (Read 4088 times)

Offline thundley4

Re: 4th July plans
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
Mow the  weeds in the yard and try and stay cool.  Not answer the phone if it's work.  :rant:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 03:09:11 PM »
Probably preparing a beef roast outside. And some beer.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »
Probably preparing a beef roast outside. And some beer.

How do you prepare a roast outside?  I wanna know!

I will give you beer.

:cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
Just going to lay low and relax poolside... as long as it doesn't rain.  We have "isolated" thunderstorms in the forecast.  We also want to grill some burgers and corn on the cob.  We went to see fireworks on Saturday night and my daughter was TERRIFIED of them.  She started bawling and chewing on her finger... so no more firework shows this year.  We will watch them from a distance on our patio.  She hates the loud booms of them, but likes the pretty colors.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »
Just going to lay low and relax poolside... as long as it doesn't rain.  We have "isolated" thunderstorms in the forecast.  We also want to grill some burgers and corn on the cob.  We went to see fireworks on Saturday night and my daughter was TERRIFIED of them.  She started bawling and chewing on her finger... so no more firework shows this year.  We will watch them from a distance on our patio.  She hates the loud booms of them, but likes the pretty colors.

My daughter doesn't like loud noises either, so when our town has its' fireworks tomorrow night, we'll be slapping my shooting muffs on her.  She doesn't mind the shooting muffs being on her head.  In the morning, I'll probably go over to the garden and weed & water.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »
How do you prepare a roast outside?  I wanna know!

I will give you beer.

:cheersmate:

Put it on a spit, or put it in a roasting rack. A disposable aluminum pan on the grill under the meat is used in either case to catch the drippings. The indirect heat mode (the coals on the sides but not under the meat) is also used in both scenarios. Charcoal, particularly lump charcoal (not the briquettes like Kingsford since they are not pure wood) has to be added to replenish the coals.

Of course, it can always be smoked, too, using a hardwood like oak or possibly mesquite. Hickory is too strong and fruitwood just isn't for beef. I prefer oak.

I've also done them on a grate over an open fire that's been allowed to turn the wood to coals, with some aluminum foil covering the meat for about 1/2 the total cooking time. Add a small piece of wood when needed to maintain the coals. Once again, indirect cooking is used.

In all the above cases, a beer or two - or three, or more, is a required part of the cooking process.  :cheersmate:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
Thanks CG!  Have a great day. 

Love your sig line!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline CG6468

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »
Right back atcha, IassaFTots!  :cheersmate:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
Washed, waxed, and fed.  Damn, that car looks nice. :yahoo:

I'm going out for a couple drinks. I'll be back later.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:29:25 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »
I slept ALLLLLL day the 4th  :panic:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »
Had a great day with my brother, sister and their families. Great dinner, followed by cigars for the menfolk on the deck. Great hanging out with my family.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »
On Tuesday I drove from mid-Missouri down to the VA hospital in Louisville, KY, where I visited a former Army band colleague who is in hospice. My visit was very short - maybe 10 minutes - as he wasn't feeling well.

This guy, a tuba player, was a friendly, open, and reasonable sorta guy. Married, two kids.

His digestive system is essentially dead due to chronic alcoholism.

He's in hospice so he can starve to death there. There is literally nothing they can do for him. He has no system through which to absorb nutrients.

Shocking. If he weighs as much as 60 lbs., I'd be surprised.

Probably last a week at the outside.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »
Damn, that's terrible.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »
On Tuesday I drove from mid-Missouri down to the VA hospital in Louisville, KY, where I visited a former Army band colleague who is in hospice. My visit was very short - maybe 10 minutes - as he wasn't feeling well.

This guy, a tuba player, was a friendly, open, and reasonable sorta guy. Married, two kids.

His digestive system is essentially dead due to chronic alcoholism.

He's in hospice so he can starve to death there. There is literally nothing they can do for him. He has no system through which to absorb nutrients.

Shocking. If he weighs as much as 60 lbs., I'd be surprised.

Probably last a week at the outside.

Never heard of such a thing  :(

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
My aunt went through the same thing in hospice.  She had signed a DNR that only allowed fluids... no pain medicine, no feeding tubes, no medical treatment.  She lived for seven days before she passed away.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
Never heard of such a thing  :(

There was probaby some serious esophageal cancer involved. :o
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 02:23:26 PM »
There was probaby some serious esophageal cancer involved. :o

Not if you're talking about my colleague.

Due to a blood clot, they said, 2/3's of his small intestine was necrosified (if that's a word - for the non-medical among us, me included, basically his small intestine was dead).

They removed all that, thinking everything was copacetic, and stitched him up - kept shoving antibiotics in him as he had had an infection. And they kept stuffing him with the stuff you pump into a feeding tube. They had to do a trach at one point because, well, I guess he couldn't breathe.

A week later, they couldn't figure out why he was losing weight and did more surgery.

Apparently the rest of his GI tract was dead as well.

No trace of cancer anywhere, or at least it wasn't mentioned.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.