Author Topic: Computer Question  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Lacarnut

Computer Question
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »
My cable internet went down for a couple of hours. So, I get the laptop out that I use only when I go to the beach. I turn it on and I am connected to the internet. I do not have a router at home but I have one at my beach condo in FL. So, I am wondering how that happened. I also, just had Direct TV replace the receiver for the HD TV only and it is my understanding I would need a receiver to get their signals for the internet. Don't think I am stealing anyone's signal in the neighborhood. Anybody have an clue????

Offline Kyle Ricky

Re: Computer Question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:30:35 PM »
If you are able to get online without having a wireless router at home, then you are probably picking the signal up from another source that isn't secured (Or you could be in an area that offers free Wi-Fi.) As for internet from Directv: Directv doesn't offer Internet, well unless you get hughesnet; but with that you need to have a special dish. Also, in order for your receiver to get connected to the internet, you have to have it connected to a router, or have a wireless receiver hooked up to (When I worked for Directv, I always suggested the Linksys Gaming adapter found at any Best Buy).