Author Topic: flavored Vinegar  (Read 2997 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
flavored Vinegar
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:49:49 AM »
  Down in Dixie they have these wonderful restaurants that serve cat fish and or haddock.  Most have a house bottle of spiced vinegar on the table.     Wonderful and all different, depending on where you go.

I got a longing for some haddock with the vinegar but could not find any at any sea food restaurant up here.

My Daughter told me to buy a small bottle of vinegar and stuff some peppers down the hole.  Let it sit on the shelf for a few weeks and try it on fish and greens.

So I have done so, all colors of peppers and types some whole, some with seeds, I cut them in half to get down the hole and there are all kinds of seeds floating about in there. The colors are beautiful, reds, greens, yellows, --------I know this stuff will be super hot and used by the drop not by a cap full.

My question is I have just added a long like banana pepper bright orange and added it and I must have touched my lips after I put it in the hole.    Now my lips are on fire .   Is there anything else I should add to this mixture from hell ????

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: flavored Vinegar
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »
I'd put in a a tablespoon or so of salt -- but I'm not sure why.  :???:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »
I'd put in a a tablespoon or so of salt -- but I'm not sure why.  :???:

Have done so, regular salt, now waiting to see if the bottle blows up.  What fun experimenting.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »
Are you sure that bright orange one was long, and not round???
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »
Are you sure that bright orange one was long, and not round???

'Zackly. Prolly got ahold of a habenero.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 06:03:04 AM »
'Zackly. Prolly got ahold of a habenero.

This orange pepper looked like a banana pepper about 4 inches long.

Us Yankees have after all these years allot to learn about spicy cooking.  I do know enough to stay away from those round orange peppers.  Just a few shakes of  McCormick dried red pepper flakes will cause guests to gasp and wheeze.   

I got use to hot stuff in California and love it, unfortunately up here sometimes black pepper is too much for the English pallet.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »
Wow, for a minute I thought this was going to be a Summers Eve thread.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Online Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:00:01 AM »
First off, Haddock is not a fish found in southern waters cause it likes cold water just like yankees.

Second, malt vinegar works well with fish.

Get some Thai or cayenne type peppers.  I prefer cayenne.  Use apple cider vinegar, pour some out, add the peppers and a pinch of salt.  Let sit awhile and just keep adding vinegar as needed to keep the peppers covered.

and remember............WE DON'T SERVE FRESH HADDOCK IN THE SOUTH, THEY LIKE THE COLD, JUST LIKE THE YANKEES
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 05:46:09 AM »
First off, Haddock is not a fish found in southern waters cause it likes cold water just like yankees.

Second, malt vinegar works well with fish.

Get some Thai or cayenne type peppers.  I prefer cayenne.  Use apple cider vinegar, pour some out, add the peppers and a pinch of salt.  Let sit awhile and just keep adding vinegar as needed to keep the peppers covered.

and remember............WE DON'T SERVE FRESH HADDOCK IN THE SOUTH, THEY LIKE THE COLD, JUST LIKE THE YANKEES

You are correct , no one can make a living up here selling air conditioners that's for sure.  I just recognize ME, NH, and VT as Yankee Land, just one step over the NH and MA state line and I consider myself "Down South"

About that vinegar I used the White kind as we Yanks do put that on Dandelion greens and in NC. the pull pork places use the white with a green pepper inside.
 :drool: :drool: :drool: ------I love the north eastern NC. BBQ with the cole slaw on top of the meat.   OH MY, now I am a thinking of Pig pickens and Peanut boils.--------- Collard greens and ham with red eye gravy.
Going to have to experiment with a bottle of Apple Cider Vineger also, never tried that or would have thought to try it had you not mentioned it.

Temperature at around 7 am is about 67 degrees ------I wonder how the rest of the country is doing with  Temps.
still in the triple didgets and a million or more without power ?