Author Topic: Matt Kenseth to leave Roush at end of season  (Read 2832 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Matt Kenseth to leave Roush at end of season
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »
Somewhat surprising, but if he really is going to take over the HD car . . .

Matt Kenseth to leave Roush at end of season

Published June 26, 2012

Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. –  NASCAR points leader Matt Kenseth is leaving Roush Fenway Racing at the end of the season, and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will be promoted to his seat in the Sprint Cup Series.

There was widespread speculation last weekend at Sonoma that Kenseth was leaving to join Joe Gibbs Racing, but Kenseth declined before Sunday's race to discuss his future with the organization he has been with for all but one of his 452 career starts.

Roush announced Tuesday that Kenseth is moving on at the end of the year, without disclosing a reason.

"I'd like to thank Matt Kenseth for his many years of loyal service," team co-owner Jack Roush said in a statement. "Matt has been an integral part of this organization for well over a decade, and we are extremely appreciative of his accomplishments and contributions to the team, and will always consider him a part of the Roush Fenway family."

It appears Kenseth is headed to JGR for either Joey Logano's seat in the No. 20 Toyota, or a fourth car. Team president J.D. Gibbs did not respond to a request for a comment Tuesday morning, and said at Sonoma he could not talk about Kenseth.

I thought that Kenseth had an arrangement similar to Jeff Gordon's--a lifetime contract.  Oh well.

The rest is at: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/06/26/matt-kenseth-to-leave-roush-at-end-season/#ixzz1yusrMLOg
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: Matt Kenseth to leave Roush at end of season
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 11:30:27 AM »
WOW...this is quite the shakeup.

What to do? If I was Coach Gibbs I wouldn't want to get rid of Logano.

I think I would probably leave Logano in the 20 and let Kennseth help stand up a 4th team, there will be plenty of help what with the not only the 20 but the 18 and 11 teams.

I didn't know that the 21 was a Roush development team.

:popcorn:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
I am thinking that Kyle Busch will be leaving Roush to bring his own team in (This is just speculation on my part). I read this on NASCAR.com earlier and it is a shock. Kenseth spent his career at Roush. Gibbs must be offering him a lot of money to go.

If he is going to be taking Lagano's seat. Where is Lagano going?

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »
I am thinking that Kyle Busch will be leaving Roush to bring his own team in (This is just speculation on my part). I read this on NASCAR.com earlier and it is a shock. Kenseth spent his career at Roush. Gibbs must be offering him a lot of money to go.

^5 for getting it wrong.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:20:46 PM »
^5 for getting it wrong.

I meant to say Joe Gibbs Racing. I was thinking of Roush while writing it. Stupid typos.  :banghead:

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »

Logano may just stay at JGR if Kenseth goes to a fourth car at LGR.  Lord knows that Coach Gibbs has the support from his team, and from Toyota.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
Logano may just stay at JGR if Kenseth goes to a fourth car at LGR.  Lord knows that Coach Gibbs has the support from his team, and from Toyota.

I am sure he does. But isn't there a rule where you can't have more than three teams now? They are allowing the teams with more than three to keep them till their contracts with them run out. At least that is the way it was a couple of years ago when all this talk about fairness to other teams came about.

It started because of Hendrick having five teams and Roush having five teams. They said that first they will drop them down to four, then down to three. The ones with more than allowable will be grandfathered because of contract obligations.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
I'm starting to think that maybe Busch could leave JGR, and form a team with his brother . . . who doesn't have a primary sponsor.  Right now, Kurt drives for Kyle in Nationwide.  It's just a thought--speculation, actually, by someone who has no real idea (me).

Chase her.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »
I'm starting to think that maybe Busch could leave JGR, and form a team with his brother . . . who doesn't have a primary sponsor.  Right now, Kurt drives for Kyle in Nationwide.  It's just a thought--speculation, actually, by someone who has no real idea (me).

It wouldn't surprise me if he did do that. Maybe him and his brother will co-own the team together. At least then they won't have to answer to another owner, and do what they want (well until NASCAR bans them for most of the season anyhow).

Offline dixierose

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »
I've been a Kenseth fan ever since Mark Martin "discovered" him. I hate that he's leaving Roush Racing. I'll still root for him; but not with the same enthusiasm I did while he was driving a Ford. I bleed Ford Blue!
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
I've been a Kenseth fan ever since Mark Martin "discovered" him. I hate that he's leaving Roush Racing. I'll still root for him; but not with the same enthusiasm I did while he was driving a Ford. I bleed Ford Blue!

I am wondering if Mark Martin still owns the 17 car?

Offline dixierose

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »
I am wondering if Mark Martin still owns the 17 car?

That's a good question. I don't remember hearing one way or the other. I think that his ownership probably got bought out when Roush partnered with Fenway.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »
That's a good question. I don't remember hearing one way or the other. I think that his ownership probably got bought out when Roush partnered with Fenway.

Yeah, he sold it to Roush in 2006 when he semi retired.

http://autoracingsport.com/roush-buys-martins-share-of-17-ownership/

Offline dixierose

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »
Yeah, he sold it to Roush in 2006 when he semi retired.

http://autoracingsport.com/roush-buys-martins-share-of-17-ownership/

Cool...thanks for the info.