Author Topic: An Overheard Conversation at the MSP Airport ...(bouncy)  (Read 3585 times)

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
An Overheard Conversation at the MSP Airport ...(bouncy)
« on: June 21, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002838836

1StrongBlackMan (976 posts)

Yesterday, I was on a lay-over at the MSP Airport. Usually, I spend the time in the bar, drinking over-priced beer and people watching; but it was close to my flight time and all the bars were packed, so I headed to boarding area. That was packed too; but I was able to find a single seat, next to a late 20/early 30-something couple and their 4-ish son.

As I dove back into my Mother Jones Magazine, a 40-something, woman directly across from the family began talking to the little boy, who was chowing down on a Subway pizza. The father answered the woman by name, telling her that this was all his son had been eating for lunch, as he had been going to work with him for the past week, since his mom had been out of town interviewing.

The woman asked the mother how her job search was progressing. The mother responded that she had been out of town interviewing for teacher jobs ... she had been laid-off from her job of 5 years (somewhere in Wisconsin) and was having a tough time finding another job, despite having a Master's Degree and being certified to teach Elementary, Middle and High school Math and Science ... "I have looked at every school district in the state. School Districts just aren't hiring, anywhere! The only offer that I have received was from a charter school that wants to start me out at $18,000 per year. How can I make my loan payment on that? We still have to eat. If I had known the market would be so tough, I wouldn't have taken out all those loans."

The woman responded that she had gotten lucky ... she had been granted SSI (disability) just before her clerical support job with "the City" was eliminated.

Then, the woman asked the father how he was liking his new job ... apparently, he had recently been promoted to an "office job" position in a government agency. He loved it ... He no longer came home smelling of asphalt and sweat. Plus, his co-workers were all smart, hard working and conscientious, and they were all helpful and supportive as he got up to speed in his new position; "even though they're all members of the Union."

So, the woman asked how he likes Governor Walker? The father's face lit up saying how he loves the guy and supports everything he is doing and wished "all governors had the guts to do the same stuff."

(I Glanced up to see a 20-something woman sitting across from me go slack-jawed, as I could only imagine she was thinking what I was thinking ... "Wait a minute. You're a government worker, in a unionized job; your wife can't find a teaching job, despite being well prepared, and you're talking to a former government worker who is how receiving government assistance ... and you 'Love Walker?'" ... At this point, my magazine is down and I am openly listening to the conversation.)

So the woman asks, what the father thought about Rubio? She got a blank stare from the father. After she had to explain that Rubio was a potential candidate for the Republican VP spot, the father apologized and said that he was kind of out of the loop because he couldn't listen to the radio in the office and he was working long hours at the job because they were down 4 positions and were under a hiring freeze ... but the over-time really helped since his wife was out of work.

(This was met be eye rolling by, both, me and the 20-something)

So the woman asked about the president race, and the father got a disgusted look on his face as he said, "Anyone but Obama ... We've got to get that clown out of there before he destroys this country." The woman nodded and said, "Yup! romney was not my first or second choice, in fact, I really don't like the guy, but with his business experience, he'll be able to turn the economy around."

(That was it! I could stay silent, not a moment longer ...)

As I was opening my mouth to speak, the 20-something woman said, "Excuse me ... But I couldn't help over hear your conversation. Can I ask you guys a couple of questions?"

Father:

"Sure."

20-something Woman:

"Is the primary source of your income derived through investments?"

Father:

"Of course not ... I work and my wife is looking for work. That's why we've got to get that Obama guy out and take back America."

40-something Woman:

"Yeah ... Who has money to invest in this train-wreck of an economy?"

20-something Woman:

"So tell me ... what good will electing romney president do for you?"

Father:

"He has the business know how to create jobs."

40-something Woman:

"He's gonna taxes, cut government spending and repeal ObamaCare. Like my nephew just said, We've got to take back this country."

20-something Woman (to Wife):

"Who pays teachers? Who writes the check for your husband's job?"

40-something Woman and Father (in unison):

"We do ... the tax-payer!!!!"

20-something Woman:

"Exactly! Our tax dollar pays the teachers and government workers ... and romney wants to cut the government spending that pays your husband today; and, he wants to cut the taxes that will helped school districts employ teachers yesterday and would help them hire them tomorrow. So we know what cutting taxes and government spending looks like ... unemployed teachers and under-staffed government agencies. So, again, what good will electing romney president do for you?"

40-something Woman:

"But, Sweetie, you don't understand ... Government doesn't create jobs, private industry does. The government has to be small so that the private sector can create more jobs!"

Father:

"Yeah, you liberals are always demonizing the private-sector and looking for the government to save you. It's Obama's policies that are killing the private-sector's ability to create jobs."

20-Something Woman:

Okay ... Can we agree that the private-sector's goal is to create profit, not jobs; and, oftentimes, creating profits means cutting jobs? And even then, when the private-sector does create jobs, we know what that looks like, too; $18,000 a year for Masters degreed Math and Science teachers and no healthcare or pensions. And President Obama has nothing to do with that. But, that IS what romney did at Bain Capital? And, what Walker is doing in Wisconsin. So, again, what good will electing romney president do for you?"

(At this point, everyone within earshot is listening to the "debate", most are nodding in agreement and some are snickering.)

Father (now, red-faced and talking pretty loudly):

"See that's the problem with you liberals ... You always want someone else to give you free stuff."

20-something Woman (looking at Ms. 40-something):

"Free stuff like Disability and Medicaid?"

(Looking at the wife) "Free stuff like working hard for a living wage that will support your college loans AND allow you to eat, too? Free stuff like having confidence that at the end of your career, there will be a pension to support you and your family in your retirement? Well, they just called my flight so I'm gonna ask you one last time, what good will electing romney president do for you ... other than getting the Black guy out?"

(As this 20-something Woman gathered her stuff) Father (shouting):

"F@#%ing liberals! We should make a law so the brain-dead can't vote!"

To that, the 20-something smiled and said: "Now that we agree on. Enjoy your flight ... Enjoy your life."

And I, didn't even have to say a word!

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Re: An Overheard Conversation at the MSP Airport ...(bouncy)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
I love it when they remember a conversation verbatim!

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
I actually read the entire thing, what a load.   :panic:

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »
what good will electing romney president do for you ... other than getting the Black guy out?

And of course she put the racism card in it. What a bunch of bull shit. That moon bat is stupid.

The thing that makes it more stupid is that the rest of the douchbags think it is real. Wow, what a bunch of retards.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »

Yeah..It's a little long.

I give two bongs, one for effort and one for it's semi classic style.

:stoner: :stoner:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline RWKindaGuy

• Hiding in the hinterlands as a professional
  • One giant rightward step for mankind
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »

Me too, Jake.  I was waiting for the conversion at the end.  I guess the nodding heads in agreement and snickering will have to do.

I guess she didn't hear the part where Gov Romney said he would would reduce the government payrolls through attrition, not outright reduction of employees.  Not that some actual trimming of the rolls isn't warranted.

Offline Karin

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
He added an additional essential element!  The smiling and nodding!   

1StrongBlackMan (979 posts)
13. The funny thing is ...

During this whole "debate" I was waiting to jump in; but the only contribution from me that was necessary was ...

Smiling (loudly)

Nodding (vigorously)

Allowing the occasional, "Yup" to slip through my lips (loud enough for everyone to hear, but not be a part of the conversation).

Must be fishing for bong points.  His story exhausted me, and so do the mindnumbing comments from the DUmbasses.  All they're saying is that these people have been programmed by propoganda.   :yawn:

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »
I actually enjoyed this particular fabricated story. The author did something different by having the 20-something Woman character confront the wascally weepublican. As far as I know this is the first Bouncy that 1StrongBlackMan has fabricated. Considering Bouncy Tales are a difficult form of fiction writing to master I think it is pretty stellar for a first attempt. In his next one, which I eagerly await, he does need to work in more of the old school elements like someone jumping out of a bush.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »
Me too, Jake.  I was waiting for the conversion at the end.  I guess the nodding heads in agreement and snickering will have to do.

I guess she didn't hear the part where Gov Romney said he would would reduce the government payrolls through attrition, not outright reduction of employees.  Not that some actual trimming of the rolls isn't warranted.

That's one of my problems with him.  Outright firings and layoffs would be better.  :-)

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »
I actually enjoyed this particular fabricated story. The author did something different by having the 20-something Woman character confront the wascally weepublican. As far as I know this is the first Bouncy that 1StrongBlackMan has fabricated. Considering Bouncy Tales are a difficult form of fiction writing to master I think it is pretty stellar for a first attempt. In his next one, which I eagerly await, he does need to work in more of the old school elements like someone jumping out of a bush.

That would be a cop.  Our hometown family doctor had a favorite saying. "No matter how thin you spread it, it's still the same thing."

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »
Quote from:
As I was opening my mouth to speak, the 20-something woman said, "Excuse me ... But I couldn't help over hear your conversation. Can I ask you guys a couple of questions?"

Father:

"Sure."

20-something Woman:

"Is the primary source of your income derived through investments?"

Father:

"Of course not ... I work and my wife is looking for work. That's why we've got to get that Obama guy out and take back America."

Who answers like that?

If some stranger asked me the primary source of my income, I'd tell them it's none of their business.

Major bouncy.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline dane

• http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/37017
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »
I've often wondered, when reading DUmmy bouncies, do the other DUmmies *really* believe these happen as typed, or do they simply voice agreement because one or two of the 'cool kids' jump in, and they want to sit at the cool kids' table.
This too shall pass.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »
I've often wondered, when reading DUmmy bouncies, do the other DUmmies *really* believe these happen as typed, or do they simply voice agreement because one or two of the 'cool kids' jump in, and they want to sit at the cool kids' table.

I'm guessing some of both.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »
What the freepers should have said,

What good would reelecting 0bama do? He has already shown us what he will do for the economy and it aint good, so may as well give Romney a crack at it he can't do any worse than 0bama.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
Subway has pizza?

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »
Subway has pizza?

They do, I have never had one, but I've seen the boxes in the dumpster at work.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
Subway has pizza?
I was curious about that too.  I haven't been to a Subway store since they cancelled their seafood salad sub, it was the only sandwich they made that I liked.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:56:10 PM by JakeStyle »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
I know they have subs with pizza toppings on them.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »
Perhaps a lurking DUmmy can take this style guide back to the hive to help the neophyte bouncy writers score higher:

Quote from: Miskie's Bouncy Checklist

1 the tale starts with a conjunction
2 introduces a 'villain',
3 a 'hero',
4 and a 'victim',
5 includes an unexpected threat
6 contains a conversion of the 'villain' to 'hero', 'victim' or both.
7 contains verbatim quotes
8 includes commentary about the sorry state of affairs
9 includes at least some topical political discussion
10 contains at least one snarky comment that flies over the head of the 'villain'

I use this as a guideline and add or subtract points based on overall presentation. It is possible to get 10 points even if a few items on the checklist are missing if the story is compelling enough. To everyone reading - Feel free to use the checklist if you wish.

In this case -

So a new guy started today   -- the tale starts with a conjunction

Sales guy to replace a guy who is out on disability for a few months ..He wanted ClusterFAUX..   -- introduces a 'villain'

When I told him it's blocked here (pats self on back) -- 'hero'

(Fox is) blocked here.. because it isn't 'news' -- contains at least one snarky comment that flies over the head of the 'villain'

Four points. But just barely. The tale needs to be fleshed out more. He didn't get any verbatim quote points since it wasnt presented that way with any sort of 'exchange' between the hero and the villain. http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,32510.msg341616.html#msg341616

While it is true this may result in formulaic bouncies until the writer matures with the genre it certainly will give them a better idea of how to increase their scores.

ETA:`
Minskie's list does not include the classic elements of a cop and bushes but then....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 04:58:51 PM by zeitgeist »
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline zeitgeist

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
As I dove back into my Mother Jones Magazine,

Really? You know, mole all you want but please...I mean, "c'mon!"
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 05:53:03 PM »
Total Mole! :lmao:

Screen name: Strong Black Man
Reading Material: Mother Jones
Conversation: Remembers it verbatim
Recent News Event: Wisconsin Election with the bonus of the person being a Teacher
A Demonstrative Audience: These people snickered instead of applauding
The Hero: Always the regressive
The Stupid Villain: Always the Republican

Ooops! just saw Miskie's Bouncy Checklist! :lmao:
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 06:06:14 PM »
Subway has pizza?

They had a pizza sub as a promotion a couple of weeks ago (I'm not sure if they still have it or not though). I had it, it wasn't that bad.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 06:06:48 PM »
It's funny, I'm out in public a lot, including crowded spaces like aiports, and yet the only time I've heard people from opposing sides argue over politics has been when people come to our door as part of a campaign.

These stories sound like nothing but liberals living out their fantasies of blasting their opposition in arguments. The biggest giveaway might be all the people nodding in agreement and snickering.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »
They had a pizza sub as a promotion a couple of weeks ago (I'm not sure if they still have it or not though). I had it, it wasn't that bad.

Off topic, but I noticed you had one more h5 than bs, so I had to fix that.  :-)