Author Topic: Front disc brakes?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline thundley4

Front disc brakes?
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »
On most cars that I've seen the disc is held on by two screws.  I changed the pads and discs on our Saturn today, and was slightly lost. No screws, bolts or anything holding them on, just the lug nuts themselves.  Is this unusual?  The new discs did have screw holes in them.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Front disc brakes?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »
As far as I've ever seen, the discs, themselves are held on by the lug nuts with a couple of locking type washers. The discs on most of my vehicles also house the wheel bearing assy., so there's that big nut, too.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »
As far as I've ever seen, the discs, themselves are held on by the lug nuts with a couple of locking type washers. The discs on most of my vehicles also house the wheel bearing assy., so there's that big nut, too.

The wheel bearing nut didn't need removed, just a couple of taps with a rubber hammer on the backside of the disc and it popped off.  That was after removing the caliper and the bracket.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:36 PM »
Front wheel drives are a little different. I'm a little surprised that there were no locking washers (2 ea) on the disk rotor, though.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »
Front wheel drives are a little different. I'm a little surprised that there were no locking washers (2 ea) on the disk rotor, though.

Nope, and I think the tires are factory originals.  Yes they are getting replaced soon, but the car only has @50K miles.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »
The wheel bearing nut didn't need removed, just a couple of taps with a rubber hammer on the backside of the disc and it popped off.  That was after removing the caliper and the bracket.

Sounds "normal" to me. My 89' F-150 and 95' Exploder were the same.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.