Author Topic: Internet Question  (Read 9486 times)

Offline Miss Mia

Internet Question
« on: May 17, 2008, 09:15:19 AM »
Okay, I'm having some problems at home.

My internet connection looks all on the up and up.  The modem looks good, as does the wireless router.  And my laptop says that I'm connected to the internet. 

So, I pull up Firefox and it'll search for a minute or two and then say that it cannot find the page.  I thought maybe it was Firefoz, so I still have Explorer, but I have the same problem. 

I unplugged everything and plugged it all back in.  I disconnected from my wireless connection and reconnected.  And most importantly, yes I did pay my bill for internet. 

Any suggestions on what I should try tonight?
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Internet Question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 09:16:24 AM »
Okay, I'm having some problems at home.

My internet connection looks all on the up and up.  The modem looks good, as does the wireless router.  And my laptop says that I'm connected to the internet. 

So, I pull up Firefox and it'll search for a minute or two and then say that it cannot find the page.  I thought maybe it was Firefoz, so I still have Explorer, but I have the same problem. 

I unplugged everything and plugged it all back in.  I disconnected from my wireless connection and reconnected.  And most importantly, yes I did pay my bill for internet. 

Any suggestions on what I should try tonight?

Where are you posting from?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:19:23 AM »

I'm at work today until 6.  :)

I've asked a few people here if they knew what to do and no one else has any suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 09:20:59 AM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 09:22:19 AM »

I've asked a few people here if they knew what to do and no one else has any suggestions.

To tell you the truth, I think your router has died.  I am on my 3rd one.  I had the same problem each time -- the router thought it was working but just wouldn't make the connection.  You can try a wired connection to your router to see if it migh just be the wireless part.

You also should try a factory-level reset -- you'll have to reconfigure but that doesn't take long.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 09:24:15 AM by freedumb2003 »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 09:24:08 AM »

To tell you the truth, I think your router has died.  I am on my 3rd one.

The computer is showing a signal.  Would it still do that even if the router is dead?
Stink Eye

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:31:26 AM »
Unplug the router for about a minute and plug back in....

Whenever I have a problem connecting, I just unplug and wait a minute...then try again.....it also works for the router.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:33:29 AM »

Whenever I have a problem connecting, I just unplug and wait a minute...then try again.....it also works for the router.

Hum, I did unplug it, but only for about 30 seconds. 
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 10:35:36 AM »

The computer is showing a signal.  Would it still do that even if the router is dead?

I added some additional info to my post -- the router can say it is working and just not work.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 10:37:10 AM »

plugging my computer into the mod

I added some additional info to my post -- the router can say it is working and just not work.

Okay.  Well tonight, I'll see if it'll work without the wireless router.   Anf if it does, then I'll know what to do.  :)
Stink Eye

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 10:37:30 AM »

Well then I am with freedumb...maybe bad router...but first I would call your ISP

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 10:40:06 AM »

Well then I am with freedumb...maybe bad router...but first I would call your ISP

Sigh, I was hoping it would be something I could fix without calling Time Warner.  I hate dealing with them. 
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 10:53:08 AM »

Sigh, I was hoping it would be something I could fix without calling Time Warner.  I hate dealing with them. 

You might -- try turning off your modem AND your router first -- no less than a minute.

If it doesn't start up, go through the reset procedure.  If that fails, connect your computer to the modem.  If that fails, you need to deal with your ISP.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 10:59:01 AM »

Did you reboot the computer after unplugging the router?
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 11:11:09 AM »

You might -- try turning off your modem AND your router first -- no less than a minute.

If it doesn't start up, go through the reset procedure.  If that fails, connect your computer to the modem.  If that fails, you need to deal with your ISP.

Thanks freedumb.

Yes. 
Stink Eye

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 11:18:05 AM »
I would just sell the house and move.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »

I think you have the answer there.

I've never had a router die. It's always been the modem. Of course I live in lightning world so it's understandable.

I do have problems at the router lever all the time. Especially when the laptop is coming up from hibernation. It does the same thing you describe. I just go unplug and replug the router. No long waits. The few times the modem has temporarily stroked out, I suspect from a TWC burp that releases my IP number I have to get more inventive.

Shut down wireless networking on your computer. If you don't have a sexy button like mine then a shut down works.
Unplug the modem and router.
Replug the modem and wait until it reconnects totally and the lights get normal. (longer than a minute here)
Then replug up the wireless router and do the same, wait until the lights all normalize.
Then punch the button or turn back on the computer.

The whole thing should take almost 5 minutes for a full reboot of everything cold. It drives me nuts. :-)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »

Nah, I love my little house.

I think you have the answer there.

I've never had a router die. It's always been the modem. Of course I live in lightning world so it's understandable.

I do have problems at the router lever all the time. Especially when the laptop is coming up from hibernation. It does the same thing you describe. I just go unplug and replug the router. No long waits. The few times the modem has temporarily stroked out, I suspect from a TWC burp that releases my IP number I have to get more inventive.

Shut down wireless networking on your computer. If you don't have a sexy button like mine then a shut down works.
Unplug the modem and router.
Replug the modem and wait until it reconnects totally and the lights get normal. (longer than a minute here)
Then replug up the wireless router and do the same, wait until the lights all normalize.
Then punch the button or turn back on the computer.

The whole thing should take almost 5 minutes for a full reboot of everything cold. It drives me nuts. :-)

That sucks that it happens so often to you. 
Stink Eye

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »

Thanks freedumb.

Yes. 

Well then that is the extent of my technical knowledge.  Good luck.
nine eleven is a car

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 01:55:53 PM »

Thanks RightCoast.  :)
Stink Eye

Offline Zeus

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 02:00:10 PM »
One way & probably the easiest way to find out if you have a router problem is remove the router from the network. Connect directly to the modem then try accessing the internet. Don't make things more difficult than they have to be.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 02:17:23 PM »
One way & probably the easiest way to find out if you have a router problem is remove the router from the network. Connect directly to the modem then try accessing the internet. Don't make things more difficult than they have to be.

Zeus, that's the plan.  I'm going to see if that works.  If it doesn't I'll assume it's a router problem.  I'll call the ISP before I run out and buy a new router though. 
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 02:17:46 PM »
I suggested that :)

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »

Thanks RightCoast.  :)

:uhsure:
nine eleven is a car

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »
We had the same issue Mia. Our ISP was useless though because they said they could see a good signal and connectivity from their end. And, when we took the router (went through three!) out of the loop, we could connect with no problems. ISP sent a tech out here twice and of course it worked beautifully for him!!! Then it would die within days so we kept replacing the router.

I found out indvertently that the ISP was onsite tweaking something on our complex (I live in a condo, not a house) and after weeks of back and forth, we got permission to install a small hub directly into the access panel in our unit. Our initial issue was that every room in this condo is pre-wired for cable/internet but they will only activate one port at a time (ISP rules, our cable/internet service is part of our homeowner's dues -we're held hostage). I raised ten kinds of heck until they approved the hub. Now I can plug in as many machines as I want.

Bottom line: be prepared to fight your ISP. They told us that they "don't troubleshoot hardware and since we could make one port work, they wouldn't help us". Your situation is probably a lot different since you are in a house. Can you do without a router?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 06:39:46 PM »
We had the same issue Mia. Our ISP was useless though because they said they could see a good signal and connectivity from their end. And, when we took the router (went through three!) out of the loop, we could connect with no problems. ISP sent a tech out here twice and of course it worked beautifully for him!!! Then it would die within days so we kept replacing the router.

I found out indvertently that the ISP was onsite tweaking something on our complex (I live in a condo, not a house) and after weeks of back and forth, we got permission to install a small hub directly into the access panel in our unit. Our initial issue was that every room in this condo is pre-wired for cable/internet but they will only activate one port at a time (ISP rules, our cable/internet service is part of our homeowner's dues -we're held hostage). I raised ten kinds of heck until they approved the hub. Now I can plug in as many machines as I want.

Bottom line: be prepared to fight your ISP. They told us that they "don't troubleshoot hardware and since we could make one port work, they wouldn't help us". Your situation is probably a lot different since you are in a house. Can you do without a router?

I left bellsouth DSL for something like that reason.  I went to comcast, and now I could launch missiles with the awesome
bandwidth that I have.

I keep bellsouth around for "backup purposes".  ask rebel, I always have a backup plan. :-)